Main Menu

What are these nuts and bolts from?

Started by blown motor, October 31, 2017, 07:05:00 AM

Previous topic Next topic

blown motor

I was just cleaning up some stuff in the basement and found these. They are obviously off my 74 Challenger, but where? I replaced bumpers a couple years ago, dash pad about 5 years ago, pins and bushings in door hinges and I think everything else I've done to the car has been smaller stuff.  :thinking:
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

anlauto

Are they 1/4-20 or 5/16-18 ? Hard to judge size from the picture.

Either way...those are real common throughout an entire car, hard to say exactly where they're from.....I guess just wait and see what falls off :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Spikedog08

I would think not to many have nuts on them . . . one of them has a larger attached washer?  Hmmm
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

blown motor

Quote from: anlauto on October 31, 2017, 07:39:24 AM
Are they 1/4-20 or 5/16-18 ? Hard to judge size from the picture.

Either way...those are real common throughout an entire car, hard to say exactly where they're from.....I guess just wait and see what falls off :dunno:

Lol! They are standard 3/8 UNC thread.
It's got me wondering. I obviously cleaned them up and repainted them but then didn't use them. So did I replace them with something? Not my usual MO.

anlauto

If they are 3/8 then the answer is easy...They go on the front bumper brackets to hold the two halves together
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

Spikedog08

Quote from: anlauto on October 31, 2017, 09:26:32 AM
If they are 3/8 then the answer is easy...They go on the front bumper brackets to hold the two halves together

:worship:  :worship:  :worship:  :worship:  :worship:  :worship:  :worship:  :worship:
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

blown motor

Thanks Alan. I'll have to have a look at that.  :thankyou:

blown motor

I checked the car and the 74 Challenger brackets are different. No hole there for a bolt. The mystery continues.

anlauto

I guess a learned something today.... :dunno: Seems odd though... :thinking:

blown motor

The straight part of the bracket where it contacts the frame is longer and has three bolts.

Roadman

Murray, for god sakes, there horderves. Grab a beer and enjoy them.   :wave:        :rebelflag"

anlauto

On the outer ends of the front bumper reinforcement bar, there are bolts that bolt the rebar to the bumper brackets. Do you have those bolts/nuts in place ?

blown motor

Yes, and they are the proper style bolt. Not a replacement.

dodj

Quote from: anlauto on October 31, 2017, 07:39:24 AM
hard to say exactly where they're from.....I guess just wait and see what falls off :dunno:
This..
:dunno:
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

GY3R/T

Heavy corosion on the two dog point bolts ( under chassis application ) No corosion on the nuts. Are you sure these were originally mated ?  Dog point bolts usually work with J or U-nuts.