Main Menu

What is it worth?

Started by Romero14, August 10, 2020, 04:04:31 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Romero14

What is it worth? So I caught wind of a 70 Cuda here at a car dealer. It's in rough shape to say the least. Originally a 383 car but now has a 440 which the dealer isn't sure if it runs since it sat for a couple of years but says he was told that it does. The dealer is asking 20k but says he's open to offers. He thinks the car would bring 100k(not happening) if restored since he saw a Hemi clone go for 85k last wk at an auction. I told him that 20k was overpriced. Car for sure needs the trunk floor, deck lid, quarters, and more metal.

usraptor

Considering the condition and non original engine, I'd say closer to $10 or even less.  He's smoking his socks if he thinks it would be worth $100K restored.

Romero14

Yea I told him he was way off on the 20k and even worse off on thinking 100k

anlauto

Very cool white car with a white vinyl top and red interior. A 383 auto with AC. :drooling:

In my opinion, as it sits, $15K -$18K likely. Fully restored....$55K maybe......Cost or restoration including purchase price roughly $85K-$90K :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

RUNCHARGER

What Alan said. Although I think $15k or lower as is.
Sheldon

Romero14

Yeah restoring this car would put me way in the hole. I was guessing 50k for the restore.

wldgtx

Quote from: Romero14 on August 10, 2020, 08:04:53 PM
Yeah restoring this car would put me way in the hole. I was guessing 50k for the restore.

If you are looking for a project than you need to determine the value of the completed car vs. the investment of time and money.

Unless you have a sentimental attachment, it likely does not align.  That said if you are in the market for a completed car then you will likely save some money.

BTW, I happen to know of a guy selling a 1970 Challenger RTSE, very original, in FC7 Plum Crazy.  Let me know if you are interested and I can put you in touch with him.  :twothumbsup:
1968 Hemi GTX, 4 spd, RR1
1970 Challenger RT/SE, FC7 - FC7RTSE
1987 Buick Grand National

anlauto

This is a totally cool optioned car, only a 4spd would make it better... :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

Romero14

Quote from: wldgtx on August 12, 2020, 06:53:38 AM
Quote from: Romero14 on August 10, 2020, 08:04:53 PM

If you are looking for a project than you need to determine the value of the completed car vs. the investment of time and money.

Unless you have a sentimental attachment, it likely does not align.  That said if you are in the market for a completed car then you will likely save some money.

BTW, I happen to know of a guy selling a 1970 Challenger RTSE, very original, in FC7 Plum Crazy.  Let me know if you are interested and I can put you in touch with him.  :twothumbsup:

I am going out on a limb and guess that you're the guy selling the Challenger  :). I have a FC7 70 Challenger A66 car, not an RTSE like yours though. What are you asking?

Romero14

Quote from: anlauto on August 12, 2020, 06:56:58 AM
This is a totally cool optioned car, only a 4spd would make it better... :alan2cents:

I was hoping it was a 4 spd when I opened the door.

Rich G.

Anyone that has a regular old beat up cuda and says it worth $100K restored obviously has no idea and is just fishing for a sucker. The problem is everyone thinks their junk is worth a fortune. Which is very sad for the hobby.

Romero14

:needphotos:
Quote from: Rich G. on August 12, 2020, 03:41:08 PM
Anyone that has a regular old beat up cuda and says it worth $100K restored obviously has no idea and is just fishing for a sucker. The problem is everyone thinks their junk is worth a fortune. Which is very sad for the hobby.

And the issue with this car is that a dealer has it. He pulled it out of the weeds last wk so he probably got it for a little of nothing. He doesn't know mopars but automatically thinks the car is worth a ridiculous amount.

SgtSuperbird

I seriously wish I had room for that 70 RT/SE in my garage. Gorgeous car. Wow.

anlauto

Cars like this are only worth what someone is willing to pay for them. You can't blame the dealer, or anyone else for that matter, for trying to maximize their profit.

If he doesn't know the market on Mopar's like this, then he'll have to lower his asking price or wait a very long time to find a buyer.

He may have been very lucky to find it and purchase it for next to nothing, but that doesn't mean he has to pass the good fortune along to the next guy...

The problem is with buyers these days.....A person sees a car listed for what they consider WAY TOO MUCH money, only to be upset when someone else buys it out from under them for the asking price...

Because you think it's $20K over priced, don't get upset when someone else buys it for $15K-$18K ...yea sure you can think they're are crazy, but it's buyers like that, that are setting the market price, not the sellers... :alan2cents:

Romero14

Quote from: anlauto on August 12, 2020, 06:53:49 PM
Cars like this are only worth what someone is willing to pay for them. You can't blame the dealer, or anyone else for that matter, for trying to maximize their profit.

If he doesn't know the market on Mopar's like this, then he'll have to lower his asking price or wait a very long time to find a buyer.

He may have been very lucky to find it and purchase it for next to nothing, but that doesn't mean he has to pass the good fortune along to the next guy...

The problem is with buyers these days.....A person sees a car listed for what they consider WAY TOO MUCH money, only to be upset when someone else buys it out from under them for the asking price...

Because you think it's $20K over priced, don't get upset when someone else buys it for $15K-$18K ...yea sure you can think they're are crazy, but it's buyers like that, that are setting the market price, not the sellers... :alan2cents:

I'm not upset about it and won't lose any sleep over this car. See my first post where I said the dealer thinks this car will be worth 100k restored which is what he is basing his 20k asking price off of.  He's not firm on his price which is why I'm here asking what it's worth. These cars are much older than I am so I try to soak up as much knowledge as possible.