Main Menu

What is this clip on the clutch pedal for?

Started by Rich G., December 13, 2017, 09:17:05 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Rich G.

On a 70 Challenger ,this clip on the clutch pedal pivots, no clue what it's there for. There was also a small 2" spring if I recall that was on the pedal somewhere.

anlauto

See the red plastic bushing on your clutch pedal switch right behind it in your picture....that clip retains the switch to the pedal. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Shane Kelley

Clutch safety switch. 

Rich G.

I see said the blind man. That makes sense. Thanks. More mystery questions to follow I'm sure.

CudaMoparRay

Another golden kernel of information to file away for a later day.

HEMICUDA

The clip is a safety redundant thing to make sure the natural safety switch pulls up and is functioning even if the spring breaks inside the switch.

Racer57

If the clutch safety switch fails, does the car not crank over ? If so,  I can see that being one of those little things that gets overlooked when cranking problems come up.

Shane Kelley

Will not crank. It acts like a bad starter when that circuit is open. You will even see the amp gauge move like your cranking the motor.

Racer57

Quote from: Shane Kelley on December 14, 2017, 01:08:52 PM
Will not crank. It acts like a bad starter when that circuit is open. You will even see the amp gauge move like your cranking the motor.
Glad I asked ! If it does mess up, is there anything that can be done to get you home ?
I'm glad this thread started up. This is something that I had never thought of.

anlauto

Quote from: Racer57 on December 14, 2017, 06:40:44 PM
Quote from: Shane Kelley on December 14, 2017, 01:08:52 PM
Glad I asked ! If it does mess up, is there anything that can be done to get you home ?
I'm glad this thread started up. This is something that I had never thought of.

At the starter relay under the hood ....just ground the green wire....
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

HEMICUDA

Allen is correct  :handshake:, hopefully you have a buddy with you.  Unplug the green wire, grab anything metal and touch that spade and the mounting bolt of the relay and it will start even if the car is in gear.  Don't get run over.

dodj

Quote from: Racer57 on December 14, 2017, 11:54:21 AM
If the clutch safety switch fails, does the car not crank over ? If so,  I can see that being one of those little things that gets overlooked when cranking problems come up.
Depends on how it fails. Open,  or closed.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill