Main Menu

What year Dakota starter will work on my 318 - UPDATE & New Pic

Started by Jay Bee, August 19, 2019, 04:53:43 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Jay Bee

I need a new starter - 318ci, A904 auto. Car wouldn't start after a rest stop on the way home from Moparfest. Towed 108km (67 miles) to my driveway.

I was told a late 90's Dodge Dakota starter from a 5.2L (318) is a high torque mini style starter that will bolt right in and probably more reliable than what these cars came with. I work for a Chrysler dealership but all parts counter people need a "make, model and year" before they get the part. So please, what year Dakota should I tell them.

I did a search but couldn't find anything definitive.

Thanks
John

blown motor

@Jay Bee BIGS believes that will work. Can you get one from a wrecker?
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

Jay Bee

Quote from: blown motor on August 19, 2019, 05:00:16 AM
Can you get one from a wrecker?

I'm not sure I want to go that route, ya never know what you're getting. For that matter even when you buy new you never know what you're getting. My starter is only 2 years old and on its second Bendix.

Regardless, even a wrecker would want to know what year. So say, should I tell them it's for a 1997 Dodge Dakota with a 5.2L?

Say Hi to Mr & Mrs BIGS for me.

Thanks again
John

blown motor

@Jay Bee Can't ask him now John, they just left.
Did you get stopped at the Onroute on the 401?

Jay Bee

Quote from: blown motor on August 19, 2019, 05:30:42 AM
Did you get stopped at the Onroute on the 401?
Yup, 401 Cambridge enRoute OnRoute (edit)

dave73

I think somewhere around 87-95 magnum v8 will work. I have one for my 440. It came with a plastic extension piece for the terminals, had to remove it for block clearance. Not sure if it will be the same for a small block.

Jay Bee

Quote from: dave73 on August 19, 2019, 10:06:02 AM
I think somewhere around 87-95 magnum v8 will work.
Thanks for that, I'll call around for a 1995 Dakota starter.

gzig5

I think somewhere around 87-95 magnum v8 will work. I have one for my 440. It came with a plastic extension piece for the terminals, had to remove it for block clearance. Not sure if it will be the same for a small block.

I think this is generally correct or at least a good ballpark framework.  I think I went to NAPA and told them '98 318 and $100 I had it slotted into place.  Nice upgrade, more room for the headers and it cranks it over smartly.  Not worth pulling one from a junkyard at that cost.

BIGSHCLUNK

Sorry you had an issue - personally I never had much luck wit Ma's BIG starters lasting long. The mini's have a much better track record. 1st pis 95 and back 2nd pic 96-98... either would work I would think ? I got mine from Dave at Roseville years ago. Spins NIKKI over without a hitch!

Jay Bee

Thanks BIGS, you're the best.

I called one place and they have a brand new one (no core charge) for a 95 Dakota, I may just get that one. Apparently that black plastic terminal thing can be removed from the later model so the battery cable won't need any mod done to it.

On a side note, during this research I saw all your comments on CC.c  in other "starter" threads.

Jay Bee

Sorry Dave, I forgot to thank you for this info too.
It came with a plastic extension piece for the terminals, had to remove it for block clearance.

John

Jay Bee

UPDATE - Well, it wasn't the starter after all. Two teeth sheared off the torque converter ring gear and I never noticed it when I put the Dakota starter in. Should get the car back next week, there were some delays at the shop.

BUT - that's not the whole story! Once up in the air he noticed major issues with my rear frame rails. Looks like both need to be replaced plus the metal where they attach to at the front. They're pushed up so much that the driveshaft and  tunnel have scuff marks on them. I hope to get some pictures and I'll start a new thread looking for advice, parts, local shops and anything else I could think of.

blown motor

That sucks John! Good thing you found it now so you can have it ready to go for the drive to Carlisle next year.  :yes:

Chryco Psycho

Burdar

I've got a 92 Dakota V6 starter on my 360 but it took some clearancing work on the block to make it fit.  The V6 starter fit on a 400 just fine.  My 360 block(pre magnum roller block) had an extra casting "bump" that hit the starter.  I ended up having to grind off that area of the block.