Main Menu

what year is this hood?

Started by cuda hunter, July 14, 2020, 02:06:27 PM

Previous topic Next topic

cuda hunter

Can someone tell me if this is a 70 early, 70 late or 71? 
I know, not that great of pictures. 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

Burdar

Looks like it has the crumple zones...

xx88man

Keep yer foot in it

cuda hunter

"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

Chryco Psycho

Not early 70 for sure  probably 71

1 Wild R/T

Definately not early 70... Does it have the Fratzog? 

cuda hunter

I do not recall.  What significance does the fratzog provide?

198D13

The underside bracing looks to be crimped to the top of the hood as if it were a shaker hood made from an original flat hood. Were you told it was an original shaker hood? The originals for 1970 and 1971 all had the top of the hood with the provision for the fratzog. If a later flat hood was used it would have the DODGE letters instead of the fratzog on the top of it.

cuda hunter

At 2500 bucks I assumed it was original as I have not seen a converted hood cost that much anywhere.
As I recall there were two shaker hoods that were original and they were both 2500.

Can someone tell if this is a challenger or a cuda?   I'm assuming the cuda did not have provisions for any letters or emblems. 

cudamadd

Can some please show me what  a Fartzog is or a explain the difference between 70 shaker hood and 71 shaker hoods Thank you guys I am not shy in asking as I want to learn as much as possible.  Thank you for teaching me a others in the past   :cheers: :australia:

YYZ

It's later '71 Challenger.

If you look at the leading edge of the hood, you can see the oval slots for the front of hood moulding -- 'Cudas do not have a moulding since the hood tucks behind the header panel.

The biggest tell between '70 and '71, without getting into all of the small details/nuances and production date ranges, is that '71-up hoods have crush zones on the underside bracing.  If you look at the front-to-back braces, you will notice these V-shaped notches every so often along the top of the brace.  This is so that the hood will buckle in the event of a crash, instead of being pushed through the windshield like a guillotine brace.

As to why it's later '71 Challenger -- the underside bracing, between the front/back rails and the outer seams is smooth.  Earlier hoods have a series of rectangular cutouts running the entire length of that channel.  The hood pictured does not.

Lastly, I can't really tell from the photo what the top skin is like.  If it's a production hood or early NOS hood, it should have the raised section for the Fratzog (triangular Dodge emblem).  Later NOS hoods had a flat section, similar to the rallye hood.

As to whether it's original?  Again, hard to tell from the picture and perspective, but the spot welds for the underside of the ring area appear to be factory, and the underside has the drain/fixturing holes that the originals do.

If the hood is original, no evidence of rot at the front, and includes an original, not repro, trim ring, then IMHO $2500 is more than fair.  Original 'Cuda shakers are literally 5x more common than Challenger.

YYZ

Note the rectangular cutouts between the brace and the seam.

This is a '70 hood and does not have the crush zones.

It's not an original shaker, but the underside brace is.

cudamadd

Very well explained I do now have a better understanding of these hoods thank you  :australia:

cuda hunter

Thanks for the information guys!  I sure appreciate it and have learned a lot already from this.