Main Menu

What's a 74 cuda worth.

Started by Ohiowoodchuck, February 08, 2020, 04:35:12 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Ohiowoodchuck

Can you guys give me a idea of what a real 74 cuda 4 speed car is worth. The motor is not orignal. The transmission is. The car is currently in the process of getting redone. It was rolled back in the mid 90's. The put a new top on it. They also replaced the full floor pan due to the windshield being busted and water collected and rotted the pans. I can buy the car needing finished or all together. I believe there is a little work left on doors then prep for paint and spray it or I can buy it completely finished. He threw a number out there both ways. He said he would work with me but I'm thinking the price is just to high both ways. I'm going to look at it in a couple weekends and I'll get some pictures to post up. I'm just trying to get a idea. I seen a nice orignal 56k mile 74 cuda with a 360 4 speed sell for 26k on ebay a few months back and he had all the documentation with it. This guy priced the car a little higher then that completed.

Katfish

Unfortunately the later years don't bring top dollar.
Without pics I'd guess $15-18k as is, $25-30k finished WITH paint.

I was at a car show today and a guy was asking $40k for a fairly nice 72 and he'll be sitting on that FOREVER, never gonna sell at that price.

Ohiowoodchuck

He told me 17k the way it sits. I know he will come down but how much I don't know. He has a ton of parts I'm just not sure I was to pay close to that and have to do paint and interior still. Seems like I can never find a good deal on one. I see them here and there as a driver quality for 18k and when I call there sold.

cuda hunter

sounds like the one on ebay was a pretty good deal.  Hard to find with everything still together original. 
Seems the top of the market on 2-4's is about 40K for an exceptionally restored car.   
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

anlauto

A little advice...

If a guy has a "project" car and he's asking $17K for it as is and $30K (say) for it finished, two things can happen:

#1 You buy it for $17K as is and finish it yourself....only to find out, the previous work done was crap, the cost to finish the car is way more then you ever dreamt it could be and before you know it you have $45K invested into a 74 Cuda that might be worth $35K tops.

#2 You wait, let him finish it and buy it for $30K..... only to find out he's rushed the crap out of it, cut every single corner and you end up with a piece of junk that isn't worth $20K.

...a little more advice.....patience....you want a red 1974 360 4spd Cuda just like you Dad's ? Just wait, save your money, the right car will come along...if you're new to the game, avoid a project like the plague, and buy a finished car. Pay a professional to do an inspection and ask a lot of questions on here about any potential purchases...there are a lot of guys on here that know E Bodies inside and out and we won't let you make a bad purchase.
:grouphug:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Rich G.

All of the above is mostly true. To do a quality restoration yourself, no matter what year it is will cost a minimum of 20-30K just in basic restoration supplies. Add in body parts and major drive train parts it goes up. Labor to pay someone is a totally different story. That's why the 72-4s are going up. Is it worth it, no but that's what it is now. I don't believe there are any good deals. Those days are gone. The cheapest thing is to find a decent car and enjoy for what it is. You want a damn near perfect car you'll have  to pay top dollar. They all cost about the same to restore right. What year determines the starting price. Study your parts book. You'll see how fast things add up. And it's the little stuff like hardware that will surprise you at the cost.

nsmall

Post as many pictures as you can.  If you want specific advice of areas to take pictures of, let us know.  Good luck.

Ohiowoodchuck

Thanks for the tips guys. I got one 74 cuda already that's a project car and like usual the body man says he will do it and it has been sitting at his house since november and he hasn't touched it. I might just end up doing it myself. I know how anal I am about stuff. I was just looking for a driver quality cuda to enjoy on the weekends. I'll take some pictures next weekend when I go look at it. I'm going to get the vin and a picture of the build sheet and fender tag. I about 60% believe this was my dads car because he told me it had a 318 and 4 speed. I didnt think they was ever installed at the factory with this combination unless a couple got out by accident. I thought maybe that the built 340 with all the w2 parts was pulled to install in another car. I can remember a guy coming to the house when I was a kid to pick up the orignal motor and a standard transmission. I have no vin to go off of and my dad passed away 12 years ago this october. The only thing I got is a buddy of his who was working with him at the time and remembers the car. I remember the guy my dad sold it to painted it and the car took on a orangish tint instead of the ralleye red when he finished. This is exactly how the fenders look on this car. I just think what are the odds that two of the same cars existed in the same area. Sorry for the long post.

cuda hunter

That's sweet!  Would be awesome to find your paww's original car! 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

Ohiowoodchuck

It would and I would be more then happy to own it, but I'm not letting emotion get in the way. I've havent mentioned a word about it potentially could of been my dads car. I was kind of amazed at the prices he threw out, especially for what i have been seeing them sell for. It seems like they hit a wall at the 26-28k mark. I search them like a religion and I see bids where the go up to 30k and I think it's a fair price but there wanting 40-60k for the car.

RUNCHARGER

You're on your game there. You don't want to be $45k into a $25k car.
Sheldon

JS29

Offer him a price you would be comfortable with. Even if he turns it down, you may get a call later that he will let it go for your price.  :alan2cents:

cuda hunter

And a stack of cash will usually open peoples eyes.  After he gives you a high price, show him a huge stack and make your offer. 
gun on the hip of course. 

Ohiowoodchuck

That was my plan, when I look at it, I'm going to take a bunch of pictures and post here and see what you guys think. He already knows that very few people around here have that kind of money to buy a car. He also has a 70 or 71 383 cuda he is going to sell. He has had it 40 years. He knows he is going to have to take it to some cars shows to sell it maybe. I figure let him drag them around all summer with no offers and he will call and if not. It wasnt meant to be.i want to get the vin and try to go backwards and see if it was my dads. I also want to take a inventory on the parts he has and what's needed to finish. I know it needs a grille and a valance. I bought one of the extech thickness measures. I have been playing around with it on my car taking readings. All the readings I'm getting on the fenders and doors are around 7 to 9 mills. My truck which I know has been repainted is around 17 mills. So that will tell me if it's been repainted like I think it has.