Main Menu

What's your best swap meet find?

Started by Cuda Cody, January 23, 2017, 11:06:30 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Cuda Cody

What's the best thing you've found at a swap meet?

Cuda Cody

I love swap meets!  I always have a good time no matter what I find.  But I'll always remember my first time being at the Carlisle Swap meet.  It's one of the greatest times of my life!  Not sure why, but I loved finding that steering column.  Wasn't a steel, but I needed it and was so excited to find it.  Carried it around for hours like it was a trophy.

Spikedog08

Finding things that you need in a swap meet always make me feel like I have accomplished something!  It is fun going through the swaps but lately I haven't needed anything . . .
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

Cuda Cody

70mopes

One that comes to mind was complete e-body 4speed reverse lockout linkage for $5.   This was in or around '94 when this was hard to get.  Guy was unloading and put a box of rusty stuff on the ground and I went straight to it.  It was mixed in with a bunch of odds and ends.

HP_Cuda

Mostly small pieces like acorn nuts, reverse light indicator, I think even the horns.

Everything else that is somewhat large is very overpriced at the shows I go to. Guess what, the majority of sellers pack most of their stuff back up and do it all over again. Doesn't make sense to me but whatever works.

:dunno:
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

Brads70

I can't say I've found anything for myself but enjoy " hunting " spending someone else money. Best deal I think was the plastic part on A/C only cars that goes under the dash to hide the A/C parts. It was at Carlisle on a blue tarp priced at $125 in perfect shape.  I picked it up and said to my buddy "pay the man" and kept walking with it. It was funny he had no idea what it was or that his was missing. I've seen the same part sell for $500 on E-Bay.

Spikedog08

Quote from: Cuda Cody on January 24, 2017, 11:16:50 AM
Window Hardware Washers?  ;)

Quote from: Spikedog08 on January 24, 2017, 10:52:17 AM
but lately I haven't needed anything . . .

Yeah . . now I need those.  I am working on a solution.  First I have some plastic sleeves/plugs that fits in that hole really well which I may use . . . also last night at bowling, I talked to a buddy that installs glass for a living and he said he may have something that they use . . . he did indicate that it is plastic.  Need to go there and check it out with him today or tomorrow. 
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

MEK-Dangerous

I just remember years back at Carlisle. I saw some Rally wheel center caps for a 1971. In real nice shape. I asked the price, and he said $30. I was ready to pay that for each, but he wanted $30 for the pair.  I know this pails with what others might find, but this made my day.

Roadman

I always scan for old tools. Years ago at the Pate Swap meet in Texas I picked up an old, crusty Snap On ratchet for $ 4.00. Looked like a 1/4 inch drive. Bought it not paying much attention. Later on I realized it was neither 1/4 or 3/8 drive. So the next time a Snap On truck came by I asked about it. Turned out it was a rare WWII ratchet issued to the military,he gave me $400.00 on the spot. 

SteveG

Not a car part but a chain wrench. A Rigid brand chain wrench with a 3' handle and 3/4" wide chain, 4' long. The guy had $20 on it.

Katfish

About 5 yrs ago I picked up a pair of E-body disc brake spindles.
They were laying in a pile of random stuff, when I asked the guy what he wanted for them, he said gimme $10

anlauto

I bought this 100% complete 340 Shaker air cleaner set-up for $1400 at Carlisle....doubled up when I sold it.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Cudakiller70

Quote from: Brads70 on January 24, 2017, 12:13:49 PM
I can't say I've found anything for myself but enjoy " hunting " spending someone else money. Best deal I think was the plastic part on A/C only cars that goes under the dash to hide the A/C parts. It was at Carlisle on a blue tarp priced at $125 in perfect shape.  I picked it up and said to my buddy "pay the man" and kept walking with it. It was funny he had no idea what it was or that his was missing. I've seen the same part sell for $500 on E-Bay.
Oh no! Is that part on the passenger side?

Topcat

2 cuda rear seat panels and 3 perfect wheel opening moldings all for $150