Main Menu

What's your thought on this.

Started by Cuda70-74, August 05, 2017, 04:05:16 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Cuda70-74

I know some like GYC and some don't. I like the show because I new things about E-bodys like this. I'm still going to put subframe connectors on my cuda just like I did on my stang. Do u think it's over kill for subframe connectors?
https://youtu.be/133NDYciWyE
1969 mustang
1974 cuda turnt into a 71 cuda
1968 charger

Chryco Psycho

You can always "feel" the difference after they are installed so how can it not be helping

Roadman

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on August 05, 2017, 04:30:57 PM
You can always "feel" the difference after they are installed so how can it not be helping

:iagree:          Big differance.

DAYLEY/CHALLENGER

You said you were going  to put them on anyway, so,it can only make the car stronger and it's something that will make you feel better when you really romp  down on the gas!  Can't hurt it.

Cuda Cody

Unless it's a big dollar numbers matching car I think you should add them.  They help a lot.

Cuda70-74

I'm still going to put subframe connectors. I found the video interesting because I didn't know it had a big beam like that in the rocker.
1969 mustang
1974 cuda turnt into a 71 cuda
1968 charger

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: Cuda70-74 on August 05, 2017, 05:58:53 PM
I'm still going to put subframe connectors. I found the video interesting because I didn't know it had a big beam like that in the rocker.

They do have reinforcement, it's not angle iron....

DAYLEY/CHALLENGER

That is interesting shape........good to know they just didn't stick a regular piece of angle or channel in there...............

cataclysm80

The information in the video is misleading.  (I find that to be the case for most info that comes from Graveyard Cars, though I've only watched the first season, and I've heard they get better later.)

When he talks about factory subframe connectors in that video, he's actually talking about torque boxes part of the time.
Which cars received torque boxes from the factory is sort of a complicated subject, but at least you can easily look under the car to see whether you have them or not.  Torque boxes help to prevent the frame from diamonding.  That's when one side of a square frame moves forward or rearward and it's no longer square.

The important part that wasn't stressed enough in the video is that they're talking about what came on CONVERTIBLES.
Only convertibles have that extra reinforcement inside the rocker panel.  Convertibles don't have the strength provided by a metal roof, so they need the extra reinforcement in the rocker to keep the car from sagging in the middle.  Without it, the vertical forces that happen every time you hit a bump will eventually bend the rockers and close your door gaps so that the doors won't open (or worse).

The vast majority of E bodies do not have these extra reinforcements inside the rocker panels.

Here's a cross section photo of a typical E body hardtop rocker panel. 
I cut this car and took the photo myself when I needed some kick panel sheet metal, before the reproduction metal was available.

cataclysm80

My own thoughts are that if you are building the car to stock specifications, then you don't need aftermarket subframe connectors.  The Chrysler engineers already sufficiently took care of it.   Usually really high dollar cars are restored to stock, so they don't need them.

If you're planning on doing suspension upgrades or installing a high power/high torque engine, then you'll want to add subframe connectors.

The rocker reinforcement found in convertibles is there to replace the rigidity lost due to not having a roof.  More rigidity is better in an improved handling / power level car.  I would still add the aftermarket subframe connectors to a convertible if it was getting a big engine and/or suspension upgrades.

When you're installing the subframe connectors, make sure to pay attention to the parking brake cable, side exit exhaust clearance (if necessary), and leave enough room to replace torsion bars if needed.

RUNCHARGER

Not a fan of how the subframe connectors look. If I was building a coupe from scratch I would build something into the rockers (probably more robust than the factory convt. stuff).  I didn't cut the ones out of my green car but I would not have added them into such a rare car either. They were added by the previous owner, they do help rigidity though.
Sheldon

Burdar

Even with the factory rocker reinforcements, a convertible flexes like crazy. They need all the help they can get. As others have said, a high dollar restored car shouldn't get them because originality is the most important thing. A car that's going to be driven hard and one where you want to minimize as many creeks and groans as you can, should get them.

Then there is the argument about welded verse bolt-on...

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: Burdar on August 06, 2017, 07:50:39 PM
Even with the factory rocker reinforcements, a convertible flexes like crazy. They need all the help they can get.

I've heard this repeatedly and yet I've owned two E body verts that have both surprised me with how stiff they are.... My R/T vert I can raise on my two post lift & open/close both doors, I've seen hardtop cars that flex more....   I think if all the welds securing panels & frame components are present & have good penetration the verts can be pretty tight but if there are missing welds the chances of flex increase quickly....

303 Mopar

Quote from: Cuda70-74 on August 05, 2017, 04:05:16 PM
I know some like GYC and some don't. I like the show because I new things about E-bodys like this. I'm still going to put subframe connectors on my cuda just like I did on my stang. Do u think it's over kill for subframe connectors?
https://youtu.be/133NDYciWyE

I now have tubular steel subframe connectors on my Cuda, '68 Charger and '69 Sport Satty vert.  It makes a HUGE difference in the doors closing better, windows fitting better, and the car just feels more solid.  It is the best bang for your buck!

HP_Cuda

It should be plainly obvious now to do the opposite of what Mark "the Worm" Worman says.

:rofl:
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200