Main Menu

Wheel balancing question?

Started by 750-h2, October 11, 2018, 08:47:41 AM

Previous topic Next topic

750-h2

I am about to get my new Good Year Polyglass tires mounted on my freshly painted rallye wheels. My question is, from the factory were the balancing weights installed on the outside or inside of the rallye wheels?  Thanks 

Chryco Psycho

typically they are dynamically balanced so you would have weights on both sides covered by the trim rings

750-h2

73_Cuda_4_Me

Just FYI... when I had my Coopers newly added 2 years ago, they (lube and tire shop) did the normal balancing, and I had shaking at 70 mph... had them re-balance them, and they said it was right on (so did the machine I watched them do it on!). 

Last year I had the wheels 'road force balanced' at another place (that also does alignment) recommended by a friend, where they put them under a load while mounted to the machine, and they found the rallye rims out of balance (original 14's) by quite a bit, and at different spots than the original balance locations...

After I got the balance re-done under load last year, no problems up to and above the speed I can 'legally' drive... LOL

Good luck with them!
73 340 `Cuda 727 Auto on Column

BS23H3B

Chryco Psycho

The other problem I have witnessed is even when the tires are balanced correctly the tire may not be round , I have seen as much as 1/4" step in the tread where the belts overlap on BFG tires for example

dodj

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on October 14, 2018, 06:49:28 AM
I have seen as much as 1.4" step in the tread where the belts overlap on BFG tires for example
From various posts in the last couple years, I'm starting to think you don't like BFGoodrich tires very much...lol
Back in the early 80's, they were the tire to have.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

RUNCHARGER

They were okay a few decades ago. I agree I don't like them much anymore. I bought a new 75 Road Runner and it had balance weights on the inside and outside of the wheels.
Sheldon

Chryco Psycho

Ya think , ...... just experience talking !

Swamp Donkey

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on October 14, 2018, 06:49:28 AM
The other problem I have witnessed is even when the tires are balanced correctly the tire may not be round , I have seen as much as 1/4" step in the tread where the belts overlap on BFG tires for example

One big ol Smokey burnout and those tires will be perfectly round.
1973 Cuda. 340 4 speed.

BIGSHCLUNK

HEHEHEHE ol' BIGS still running his TA's    :haha: