Main Menu

Where do you think the hobby is going ?

Started by Purepony, March 04, 2021, 08:40:05 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Purepony

Been going to a few car shows and I notice less and less people. I also noticed prices are sky high, cars that used to be 25-40 are now 50-75. Who's buying ? I mean are the cars really selling that high? Oh and gas prices just went up lol

Where do you think this is going ?
Is the hobby dying out ?

7212Mopar

I do see some younger folks driving the older muscle cars. The higher prices are appreciation and inflation. More parts are becoming available than before. The world is moving to electric. So no body knows. I don't think it is going away any time soon.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

blown motor

I don't think the hobby is going away but it is evolving. I think it's fading for the crowd that gets excited by the late 50s cars and in it's prime for the mid 60s to mid 70s crowd. Some time, in 20 or 30 years, there will be a whole segment of auto enthusiasts that will be searching for their old jacked up pick up trucks in the same way as we looked for our old muscle cars. The value any given vehicle will flex accordingly. For now, I just plan to enjoy the ride, pun intended.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

tparker

I don't know, but I think it is in danger. I don't think sky high prices are just inflation. It may seem like it but I doubt it. As a teenager, I could afford buying a challenger, tranny, 340 block, carbs, etc. What teenager can afford one today? I bought mine for $900 running. A couple years ago I saw a completely striped down Challenger that looked like it wen through a fire selling for over 10K. That isn't inflation, that is insanity.

I also look at our local club. It is all older dudes with a few exceptions. There are only a few people younger than me that show up and I'm 50. We put on a local show and the main guys are getting older and may not be around to coordinate for a lot longer. I'm not seeing enough younger folks replacing the older ones.

My concern would be that as all these cars get restored and the less than optimal cars get parted out and the bad ones rust all the way to the ground, there won't be enough of a market to keep making parts. I'm curious how older cars (older than ours) are doing on parts.

Luckily there does seem to be a continuing interest in muscle cars. I don't think any of us will quit any time soon so it may be safe for a while. But we may be past it's peak and it may only be dwindling down slowly.

Just thinking out loud

Flatdad

Pricewise, I've noticed normal appreciation of restored vehicles. Its been the price of projects that has really ballooned, at least locally. There are far fewer listings too. Its a good time to have a classic, not so good if you're looking to buy.

anlauto

Quote from: blown motor on March 04, 2021, 10:02:57 AM
I don't think the hobby is going away but it is evolving. I think it's fading for the crowd that gets excited by the late 50s cars and in it's prime for the mid 60s to mid 70s crowd. Some time, in 20 or 30 years, there will be a whole segment of auto enthusiasts that will be searching for their old jacked up pick up trucks in the same way as we looked for our old muscle cars. The value any given vehicle will flex accordingly. For now, I just plan to enjoy the ride, pun intended.

I agree 10000% with this... :iagree: :worship:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

7212Mopar

My nephew wants my 2012 Challenger but my sister will kill me if I let him have it. My son has no interest on either of my Challengers. My wife said she get rid of both as soon as I hit the dirt. In the mean time, I will keep them and enjoy them. Not much you can do when you are not around.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

JS29

@7212Mopar If you will the car to your nephew, That means you are already dead. What is your sister going to do to you at that point! You could put in stipulations as you see fit.  :alan2cents: 

dodj

Quote from: Purepony on March 04, 2021, 08:40:05 AM
I also noticed prices are sky high, cars that used to be 25-40 are now 50-75. Who's buying ?
With those numbers it's not a 'hobby' It's a rich mans game.  I'm glad I got mine in a swap for a $400 rifle. I'd never buy an ebody now. I'd go buy a new car and end up saving money. So to me, the 'hobby' is dying fast.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Rdchallenger

Quote from: 7212Mopar on March 04, 2021, 12:42:48 PM
My nephew wants my 2012 Challenger but my sister will kill me if I let him have it. My son has no interest on either of my Challengers. My wife said she get rid of both as soon as I hit the dirt. In the mean time, I will keep them and enjoy them. Not much you can do when you are not around.

Make sure I'm contacted 😂. I'm only 33 so still have more classics to get in my lifetime.

Cuda70-74

Yes theses cars are getting more and more expensive to buy and harder to find. We will be seeing electric motor swap in classic cars. The mean problem i see in the hobby as a young man(32) alot of the older aren't too accepting of the younger generation so that turn alot of us away. I still goto car shows and to show the younger generation they can also own these cars also.
1969 mustang
1974 cuda turnt into a 71 cuda
1968 charger

challengermaniac

Always an interesting question of perspective.  It appears long time muscle car enthusiasts own these cars along with new baby boomers whom always liked them from their earlier years and now that they have more discretionary funds they are buying the cars as well which has been inflating the prices....... some of which is hyped up by stock market increases. 
So for now......... lets all continue to enjoy and share them for their wonder and beauty. 
In the long run, maybe we will start doing electric conversions to them, won't that be something!   
1970 Challenger Convertible EB5

headejm

IMO...the higher prices we are seeing (for finished E-bodies) are being driven by the high cost of restoration. Start with a $10k project car then add $7.5k for engine, $10k bodywork, $10k paint, $5k parts, 500 (or so) assembly hours at $75/ hour...that's a cool $80k. I just finished my car and spent nearly $50k and I already had the car and did 85% of the assembly. Farmed out paint, bodywork, engine machining, and a few large sub assemblies. My car is worth about $50k if I decided to sell it. That is a pure definition of hobby.

The majority of E-body fans are either fast approaching 60 years old or already past 60. We grew up loving these cars. Most 60 year olds I know have more money than ever and are willing to pay reasonably high prices for things they love.  Might as well buy it now before it's too late.  :alan2cents:

CudaA39

Kids today are no different vs when I was getting my license in 04' or when you got yours; they demand what's cheap.  Normally that would mean 80s-99 camaros, mustangs, imports.  How many if those cars did cash-for-clunkers send to an early grave?  Supply and demand.

I can't stand going to car shows because they're boring.  I have friends that love to and love to get those trophies.  I doubt when any of us were young our idea of a fun Saturday was sitting around staring at cars.  This hobby is about living it as you see fit.
Check out my 71 Gen3 build:

https://youtu.be/XSDAWczXoZw

2015 Tri-State Stock/Superstock Champion
2017 Monster Mopar Weekend Sunday Pro Winner
2018 Monster Mopar Weekend Friday No Box Winner and 11.50 R/U

soundcontrol

Billie Eilish drives a new Challenger, suddenly my 18YO daughter really wants to drive my 08 SRT! There is hope.
There is tons of Mustangs, -05 and up and new Challengers, in 10-20 years those will be cheap enough for the kids.
Early new Mustangs are already pretty cheap.