Main Menu

Where to look for Rust on an E-Body...

Started by Cuda Cody, January 25, 2017, 10:28:31 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Cuda Cody

This spring I'm planning to get a few project cars out and make a short video of where to look for rust on an E-Body project.  Hoping we could all work together to come up with a detailed list of the normal rust areas on an E-Body?   :soshelp:   Starting with some of the most common areas to rust first is there any area that I missed?

Window Channels
Trunk Pan
Dutchman (area above the trunk lid)
Quarter Panels (lower section behind wheels)
Trunk Extensions
Floor Boards
Under the Battery Tray
Front Fenders (area behind wheels)
Cowl drain under wiper motor
Hood Hinge mounting area
Door Hinge area
Rocker Panels
Inner Rear Wheel Housings
Tail Panel Bottom Edge
Trunk Lid Lip
Cowls on the lower outsides
Frame Rails

Once the Frame Rails start to go I think it's safe to stop there.  When you see that it needs new frame rails you either know what you are getting in to and have enough experience to do that type of major metal replacement or you should consider walking away from that project.  If it's a first time project, Frame Rail replacement can be over most peoples capabilities.  Since this would be targeting first time buyers of an E-Body project, if the frame rails are rusted out then it's best to get someone involved that has experience with major rust if you still want to buy the car.

Any thing else we should add to the list?

Timbbuc2

Get in, I'll drive

ec_co

another I seem to see is the inner rear fender wells
Growing older is mandatory...growing up is optional.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

'70 Barracuda B5/B5 225 /6 3spd ... about as bare bones as they came

anlauto

Might want to start a list of where they don't rust :rofl: :rofl: be a shorter list :alan2cents: 
I've restored some of the rustiest E Body's in the "World" ;) and I can tell you....there's not too many places they won't rust.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

torredcuda

Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/

71GranCoupe

Quote from: anlauto on January 25, 2017, 11:42:19 AM
Might want to start a list of where they don't rust :rofl: :rofl: be a shorter list :alan2cents: 
I've restored some of the rustiest E Body's in the "World" ;) and I can tell you....there's not too many places they won't rust.

That's a fact Jack!  :D

303 Mopar

@Cuda Cody  - You have Under the Battery Tray listed twice.  You should also include rocker panels.

Cuda Cody

Because it rusts twice as fast.   :rofl:  thanks for pointing that out!   I'll fix that.  :twothumbsup:

Quote from: 303 Mopar on January 25, 2017, 11:52:18 AM
@Cuda Cody  - You have Under the Battery Tray listed twice.  You should also include rocker panels.

ec_co

you aren't wrong. on mine it rusted through so bad that what was left of the tray was on the ground and nice 12"x9" area needs all new metal (big 'ol hole there now).... or replacing the entire inner structure
Growing older is mandatory...growing up is optional.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

'70 Barracuda B5/B5 225 /6 3spd ... about as bare bones as they came

A.Gramz

Truth in those words

My car and both parts cars where rotten around brake booster mounts to firewall.   :dunno: if it's common but all three cars spent there life's in the same region

HP_Cuda

Roof skin rusts which can be a prob with vinyl tops

Heck the only places they don't rust out are the dash, seat covers, and dome light bulb

:rofl:
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

screamindriver

Alan I've seen some of the projects you've done over the years most wouldn't even put themselves through what it took to get them done...The older I get the more picky I get with the condition of my projects...

Hotiron

Cody, I am trying to run down all the rust.  Thanks for giving me some places I haven't checked
Hotiron.

1 Wild R/T

Thinking back of all the cars I passed up because of the rust.... R codes, V codes, hey, there were better cars available why waste time & money fixing a rusty one?... Scrap it!!...  Something better will be pop up.... Till they don't.... Or if they do the price has gone through the stratosphere...

moparcar

Good topic! The two places that caught me off guard on mine were the roof inner structure supports below the drip rails (the triangular, curved, inner roof structure after the skin is off and the back of the lower cowl/firewall right in the curved area directly above the steering column. Both areas looked very good until disassembly. The roof structure can't be seen until all the trim is off of course. Mine had nice shiny original burnt orange paint up to the trim. Trim came off and their were gapping holes in the structure. Same with the cowl---It had some of the small normal issues but once the dash came out you could see the other issues, yet no real big rust on these areas that were noticeable and mostly original paint in these areas. Very hidden without extra effort to identify.

Wes