Main Menu

Where to send my 1970 challenger RT/SE for restoration

Started by MauSanchezC, November 24, 2021, 01:11:33 PM

Previous topic Next topic

MauSanchezC

Hi there, i need to know where is the best place to restore my 1970 RT/SE challenger project. I am in San Antonio Textas.

I would like you to help me the best one in restoration. Hope you can help me.

ORiginal color is a burnt orange, burnt orange interiors. 383, automatic, AC.

I am just looking for the paint job vinyl top and interiors

Rich G.

Lots of questions need to be answered on this one first.   What kind of restoration are you looking for, how long are you willing to wait to get it done and the biggest question is how much are you willing to spend?

anlauto

Choosing a shop has a lot to do with budget and expectations of the end result. I'm sure there are plenty of shops in your area, or close by that can handle the job. If you're looking for an OE type resto, then choose a shop that has lots of experience with Mopars and Challengers, ask to see their work, and ask for references if possible.
Don't fall for the "big name" shops with three year waiting lists, there are plenty of good small shops out there that turn out real nice work, for a reasonable price. It's shouldn't take more then a year to get the car done and I'm sure prices will range from assclowns that say they can restore the whole car for $20K up to TV idiots that charge $200K....I can't speak of what a good average job costs in the USA, because I'm in Canada, but I'm sure others can
Cheers...and good luck with your search... :drinkingbud:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

MauSanchezC

i am looking for a original shape restoration, excelent paint, excelentet details. i am thinking about 25k or 30k, 35k.

anlauto

So basically you're not looking for a complete ground up restoration but rather somebody who can repaint the car to the original colour, and add the vinyl top again ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

MauSanchezC

i am looking for the original paint, complete interior, vinyl roof and thats it.

anlauto

If the car doesn't have a lot of rust, I think that's probably a fair budget for what you want....You just have to be aware of the snowball effect....that is where you put really nice paint on your car, and now all the exterior chrome looks terrible so that has to be replaced too, then the engine looks terrible, and the wheels, etc...etc...etc...  :'(

tmaleck

I'll say to budget a lot more, closer to 50k if you are not doing the work yourself.  If you start adding things like new door handles, replacement moldings etc.  I have almost 60k in NOS and EOR stuff for my 68 Charger.  Jerry Dixon's has a good reputation, but long wait times last I heard.  I can give you list of who to stay away from too.  I'm in Austin, so I don't know the SA scene as well.

torredcuda

Do you want the engine bay done as well, does it need fenders and doors pulled to paint jambs etc.? Depending on what they find under the current paint job you may be looking at more $$ to strip and do it correctly and get excellent paint and details.
Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/

kdcarman

Quote from: torredcuda on November 24, 2021, 02:31:42 PM
Do you want the engine bay done as well, does it need fenders and doors pulled to paint jambs etc.? Depending on what they find under the current paint job you may be looking at more $$ to strip and do it correctly and get excellent paint and details.

It is impossible to estimate the cost of paint and body work, unless the car has been stripped.

ek3

https://www.carolinaclassicrestorations.com/    -- THERE ARE A LOT OF GOOD SHOPS .  THIS ONE IS A TOP NOTCH MOPAR SHOP !    VIC CALVERT. cell  [864-680-3501}   He will work it out to any level you like. just remember , it always seems to cost more than what we think. everything done is photo documented and billed as you go. you know what its costing as you go. I always looked at it this way, if the metal and paint are done right, you can rebuild the rest at any time. VIC personally does some of the finest interior work around...  any true hi level restoration [date codes/nos parts] will cost six figures. you could tare  it down yourself and have them blast/paint it and do your interior.  i have some pics of work done to mine posted here.[ in the restoration forum]  i have 1500 in my file! good luck !

FE5CUDA

Be careful what you hear on the internet.  There's no way on the planet you can get a true quote for a quality body/paint job, unless it's all original paint.  Most of these cars have had many guys that had their turn at it.  It's amazing how much ugly is under old school paint to hide what reality is.  If the body is absolutely "rust free" and needs no panel replacement, for a real quality body/paint you're looking at at least 15k - 20k or more without pulling the driveline and doing the engine compartment or trunk.  Add the interior restoration, that's at least 5k - 7k with it done correctly with 1k for a vinyl top.

Anyone that says anything about a "budget" restoration, RUN FOREST RUN :canada:.  All that does is give them the excuse for their lack of talent.  What ever you do, find a shop that specializes restoring MOPARS only, not that average "body shop" with a "budget" paint job, you'll get what you pay for even though they may charge you the same amount of a "true" professional. 

anlauto

Quote from: FE5CUDA on November 25, 2021, 07:54:08 AM
Be careful what you hear on the internet.  There's no way on the planet you can get a true quote for a quality body/paint job, unless it's all original paint.  Most of these cars have had many guys that had their turn at it.  It's amazing how much ugly is under old school paint to hide what reality is.  If the body is absolutely "rust free" and needs no panel replacement, for a real quality body/paint you're looking at at least 15k - 20k or more without pulling the driveline and doing the engine compartment or trunk.  Add the interior restoration, that's at least 5k - 7k with it done correctly with 1k for a vinyl top.

Anyone that says anything about a "budget" restoration, RUN FOREST RUN :canada:.  All that does is give them the excuse for their lack of talent.  What ever you do, find a shop that specializes restoring MOPARS only, not that average "body shop" with a "budget" paint job, you'll get what you pay for even though they may charge you the same amount of a "true" professional.

No truer words can be said.... :twothumbsup:

Ifixmycarmyself

If that was my car, I would love to do it myself. It's great fun! But that's just me  :yes:

anlauto

Quote from: Ifixmycarmyself on November 25, 2021, 12:42:59 PM
If that was my car, I would love to do it myself. It's great fun! But that's just me  :yes:

That luxury is very nice and you have some serious talent :worship: