Main Menu

Will powder coating my dual snorkel air cleaner damage the mechanism in the pods

Started by Rutro, April 25, 2018, 12:47:57 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Rutro

I posted this same question over one of the other sites a year so ago, see below. Thought I would check with the group here. I'm wanting to get this done finally. I'm not really interested in trying the wrinkle paint out of a can. I have done it in the past. Trying to maintain covered on all the different angles and surfaces on the air cleaner would be tough.
I'm planning on powder coating my 70 dual snorkel air cleaner. Will the temperature used to bake the paint damage any of the parts in the pods that control the flaps inside the snorkels? Or any temperature switch thing on the bottom of the air cleaner? The powder place did confirm temperatures would be at 400 degs. Thanks guys! Mark

Cuda Cody

Powder coating is just like paint, but instead of spraying it on wet... it goes on as a powder and uses an electrical charge to hold it in place.  Then it is heated up and melts to create a durable smooth finish.  So it's not like they dip the part so I don't think the powder coat will get in the way, but as for the heat????  400 degrees is pretty hot.  Isn't the parts in the pod just a thermal type spring?  So I would think it would be okay, but not really sure.   :notsure:

GY3R/T

:stop:   Dont bake the pods !  They are spring loaded rubber diaphram inside. Big chance you'll damage it. And if  (by chance) you powder coat the bottom, you'll glue shut the internal moving plate when the coating melts.
  I used Eastwoods wrinkle paint. It's alittle heavier wrinkle but looks great !   :lookatthat:
  When i refinish the 72 and later orange air cleaners, i powder coat those and just rattle can the pods with matching orange. Pefect match.  :bigthumb:

Rutro

Did you physically remove the pods when you powder coated the main parts of the air cleaner? It looks like you would have to bend the tabs a lot.
I'm trying to get everyone's opinion.

GY3R/T

Only bend one tab , then lift same end and slide out.  They're made of soft metal and won't break. When ready to install just slide back in and bend tab back.