Main Menu

Wiper Motors and Torque Boxes

Started by ply64post, February 20, 2018, 10:54:20 AM

Previous topic Next topic

ply64post

:unitedstates:

I have a couple questions.

1. Did the TA's  and the AAR's use 2 and 3 speed wiper motors?

2. Did all the E Body Convertibles, Hemis, 6 packs, 440s, AAR,s and Ta,s all have torque boxes front and rear?

Thank You
                                                            Jeff   

Cuda Cody

It seems that there is always exceptions to the rules, but in general yes Cuda & Challengers convertibles, Hemi, 6 packs and 440's would get torque boxes.  Some 383's would get front and sometimes even rear. 

As for wiper motors, since you could get a T/A and AAR with both standard and rallye dashes that would mean you could get them with both a 2 speed and 3 speed wiper motor.  All challenger RT's got a rallye dash so they all got 3 speed wiper motors.

Shane Kelley

Quote from: Cuda Cody on February 20, 2018, 11:12:18 AM
It seems that there is always exceptions to the rules, but in general yes Cuda & Challengers convertibles, Hemi, 6 packs and 440's would get torque boxes.  Some 383's would get front and sometimes even rear. 

As for wiper motors, since you could get a T/A and AAR with both standard and rallye dashes that would mean you could get them with both a 2 speed and 3 speed wiper motor.  All challenger RT's got a rallye dash so they all got 3 speed wiper motors.
Will the air cleaner on the TA/AAR clear a 2 speed wiper motor?

Cuda Cody

That's a good question...   :thinking:

Quote from: Shane Kelley on February 20, 2018, 11:17:11 AM
Will the air cleaner on the TA/AAR clear a 2 speed wiper motor?

Cuda Cody

The T/A order form shows 3 speed wipers being an option and not standard.  They show some option items like front disc brakes as being standard so I would think if the 3 speed wiper motor was standard they would have made a note.

https://www.e-bodies.org/resources/plymouth_cuda_dodge_challenger_brochure_sale_ads/1970-dodge-challenger-ta-brochure/

Cuda Cody

Yup, 2 speed wiper motors will clear on a T/A air cleaner.   :twothumbsup:

ply64post

:unitedstates:

What about the torque boxes on the TA's and AAR's? Front and rear or just rear??

Cody you may be right on the wiper motor being 3 sp with rally and 2 sp with non rally. The reason I am asking I noticed in a TA picture with a 2 sp wiper motor which got the wheels turning,   :thinking: because I thought  all the big air cleaners got the 3 sp for clearance for the air cleaner. I checked some more picture and it seems in the pictures I looked at what you said was true.   

Jeff         

Cuda Cody

Yes, T/A and ARR should have front and rear Torque Boxes.  :alan2cents:

ply64post

:thinking:   Is it possible that the dash, standard or rally determined the wipers that you got on your TA or AAR?

Jeff

anlauto

All cars with a rally dash got three speed wipers.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Jim AAR

My AAR has a 2spd Wiper Motor and a Standard Dash.

One thing you have to remember is that most of the TA's & AAR's were built on spec and NOT Special Ordered as they had to build a specific amount to compete in the SCCA Racing circuit with the cars. So many were just built and then selected by the Dealerships, so the options are going to be all over the place, you will notice that on alot of the AAR/TA Broadcast Sheets, they have Rev Late on them meaning they were revised and the revisions are usually circled on them. I believe that my car was maybe scheduled to be built as a Non AAR and was changed to an AAR just before or during Production, I could be wrong but that's my :alan2cents:

I have Torque Boxes on the Front & Rear as well.

ply64post

Thank You To All
                        Jeff 

FlatlandTA

Quote from: Jim AAR on February 20, 2018, 12:18:18 PM

One thing you have to remember is that most of the TA's & AAR's were built on spec and NOT Special Ordered as they had to build a specific amount to compete in the SCCA Racing circuit with the cars. So many were just built and then selected by the Dealerships, so the options are going to be all over the place, you will notice that on alot of the AAR/TA Broadcast Sheets, they have Rev Late on them meaning they were revised and the revisions are usually circled on them. I believe that my car was maybe scheduled to be built as a Non AAR and was changed to an AAR just before or during Production, I could be wrong but that's my :alan2cents:

Rev File maybe wrote on yours Jim?
Looks like they're crossing out your collapsible spare and wheel cover boxes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jim AAR

Quote from: FlatlandTA on February 20, 2018, 04:13:21 PM
Quote from: Jim AAR on February 20, 2018, 12:18:18 PM

Rev File maybe wrote on yours Jim?
Looks like they're crossing out your collapsible spare and wheel cover boxes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope, you are incorrect. I removed this Broadcast Sheet from the back of my Glove Box myself and it had never been removed before.

Also I have seen others with this exact writing on them, attached is one I got from this site.

And it has the same line across the collapsible spare and wheel cover boxes.

I'm not a handwriting expert but "Rev Late" appear to be written by the same person.

Also look at the handwriting in pen at the bottom of the TA Sheet - "JH 23 & Blue Chal" and the bottom of my AAR Sheet "BS 23 & Blue Bar", again not an expert but I would say the same hand wrote both of them.

anlauto

That's cool to find two sheets with the same notes  :twothumbsup:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration