Main Menu

Your insurance company of choice?

Started by GoodysGotaCuda, October 20, 2017, 10:46:41 AM

Previous topic Next topic

GoodysGotaCuda

I'm up for renewing my 'Cuda with Hagerty. Being on the younger side [30] and the car being modified, they have a very high premium. $1,200/yr @ $60k value. Id also like to add my 1976 Warlock to the policy.

Who have you had success with on your cars? And have you had to "use" your insurance? How did it go?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

Oldschool

I am just now renewing my coverage with Grundy. Agreed to value of $106,000 for $1300.00 per year. Grundy also has less restrictions than the other companies... 

Cuda Cody

Most of my older muscle cars are with State Farm.  I have them insured as "classic cars" and I only use them for fun (not allowed to daily driver them).  I think it runs me about $300 to $400 a year for unlimited miles. 

303 Mopar

Quote from: Oldschool on October 20, 2017, 10:48:42 AM
I am just now renewing my coverage with Grundy. Agreed to value of $106,000 for $1300.00 per year. Grundy also has less restrictions than the other companies...

I use Grundy because they have good rates, no restrictions, and an agreed value.

B5Cuda440-6

I have my classic insurance through Heacock, with an agreed upon value. Thankfully, I've never had to use it, and hope I never will!!

So far, the rates seem reasonable as I pay about $540 for 1-year. But, there are restrictions on how much I can use my car. I can't drive it to work, use it as a daily driver, and I believe I have a mileage restriction of 2500 miles/year. All of those criteria fit within how I use my car, so it's no problem for me. But I could see how those restrictions could be limiting for others.

I remember I asked Haggerty to provide a quote last year when I was thinking about switching, and for similar coverage with the same agreed upon value, I believe the 1-year rate was $1200 or $1400. Seemed really high to me at the time.

I am also curious how different companies respond when you have a claim.

Roadman

Quote from: Cuda Cody on October 20, 2017, 12:32:17 PM
Most of my older muscle cars are with State Farm.  I have them insured as "classic cars" and I only use them for fun (not allowed to daily driver them).  I think it runs me about $300 to $400 a year for unlimited miles.

Like Cody, I know several people that use State Farm because they also have their regular cars insured there also.  :rebelflag"

anlauto

I had a really bad experience with State Farm after being with them 25+ years....I'm now with The Co-Operators. Had nothing to do with the classic car, so it's not really relevant...  :thumbdown:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Brads70

Mine is through Hagerty valued at 60 k , premiums are 800 something, mine is classified as modified too..... all in Canadian funds.

JH27N0B

I've had my cars insured with State Farm collectors car insurance over the years. Their rates are very low.  However when I bought my 71 V code Challenger in 2010 I felt it was worth more than they'd insure it for without a licensed appraiser looking at it.  I shopped a bit including Hagerty and their quote wasn't bad.  However I didn't pull the trigger and stayed with SF. 2 years ago with my T/A coming back from resto I needed to up the value and ran into the appraisal issue again so started shopping once again. 
I'm mid 50s no accidents.  Haggerty wanted around $800 for the T/A with 95K value.  My '71 was up to $750 for 75K compared to $375 quoted in '10.  :Thud:
I called a broker I'd heard recommended.  Rally insurance, which is run by a car girl.  A Corvette fan I've heard, but whatever.
They set me up with Classic Insurance by Infinity for under $400 a year at 95K.
I've heard nothing but good about Haggerty and love the swag they pass out at shows, but sorry, I can't justify paying double for them.
I'd recommend talking to a broker like Rally to shop around for you.
I still have my other 2 Challengers with SF, but that makes me nervous as they are Stated value versus Agreed value.  With agreed, no argument on price if you get totaled.  With Stated value the adjuster can argue value and payout on a total regardless of the Stated value you are paying to insure your car for. :alan2cents:

GoodysGotaCuda

Quote from: Wedg2Go on October 20, 2017, 05:12:20 PM
Quote from: GoodysGotaCuda on October 20, 2017, 10:46:41 AM
I'm up for renewing my 'Cuda with Hagerty. Being on the younger side [30] and the car being modified, they have a very high premium. $1,200/yr @ $60k value. Id also like to add my 1976 Warlock to the policy.

Who have you had success with on your cars? And have you had to "use" your insurance? How did it go?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yikes! $1200 per year? My Haggerty policy, for two cars, currently runs $687. One is insured for $25,000 and my '70 Challenger at $55,000. Of course your declaration sheet might be different, but not $500 different. Did you call up one of their agents and go over the finer points?

formerly RockyMtnXpress...

btw - I like to think, that they think, you have something of "Value" in the form of an investment. So I don't think age, past 25, has a whole lot to do with premium cost...or maybe it does?  :notsure:

Yes, just shy of $1,200 per year for me with Hagerty. I called and confirmed what I had with them. I'll insure my Warlock with them because they will cover me while it's not stored inside a locked building [Grundy will not]. I'll likely go to Grundy for the 'Cuda.
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

70mopes

American Collectors Insurance out of Cherry Hills NJ.  Been using them for over 20 years.   

Hagerty refused to insure my last classic because my wife had a couple tickets.   Went back to Am. Col. and added it to existing policy.   Not a fan of Hagerty based on the way that whole thing played out.

I had a claim with Am. Col. Ins. back in 2000 and they paid me full value of what I had the car insured for.

I have 4 cars and an IH scout insured with them and I pay 1300 a year.  It will be more as I need to set the values higher.

nsmall

@GoodysGotaCuda

I have Grundy and I've had good experience with them. My insurance is like $240 bucks a year for 43k of coverage.

I thought I remember you saying you drive your car to work every day and I don't think Grundy is going to be okay with that.

I've had multiple conversations with Grundy agents and as far as I understand their insurance assumes you don't drive your car a whole lot and if you do, you don't leave it unattended like at work or at the movie theaters or something.

Others are saying there's no restrictions but I don't think they're right but I could be wrong.

From what I could tell Haggerty is double what Grundy charges.

I recently increased my coverage with Grundy by 15 grand and just sent some pictures of my car in a million pieces and they're like okay. It only took them one hour to increase my coverage and I thought it was crazy because you should have seen the pictures I sent.

BIGSHCLUNK

Am Fam 374.70  Valued at 111k.... just paid it. But like Cody - no daily driver

YellowThumper

I just signed up with Hagerty 500 a year agreed 40k.
Dropped Alstate. Single year (and no incedents) they raised my rate 600 dollars a year. All because a POS in their company placed a mileage estimate due to paperwork not being legible. Called bs went to local office they had paper sent to them. All clearly stated. But still too late to change from past paid. More bs. Dropped them 2 days later... for a third the cost.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: 70mopes on October 20, 2017, 07:51:55 PM
American Collectors Insurance out of Cherry Hills NJ.  Been using them for over 20 years.   

Hagerty refused to insure my last classic because my wife had a couple tickets.   Went back to Am. Col. and added it to existing policy.   Not a fan of Hagerty based on the way that whole thing played out.

I had a claim with Am. Col. Ins. back in 2000 and they paid me full value of what I had the car insured for.

I have 4 cars and an IH scout insured with them and I pay 1300 a year.  It will be more as I need to set the values higher.

American Collectors refused to insure me, said I didn't fit their profile.....  At the time my daily driver was a beater POS that I just carried PL & PD on... They felt that if I couldn't afford a better daily driver then I wasn't a good risk... 

Yeah guys, I drive a beater cause I'd rather spend my money on my toys.... New daily drivers don't impress me or most of my car buddies much...