Main Menu

1970 Challenger SE Trim Clips

Started by Wayno56, September 26, 2017, 05:40:52 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Wayno56

Hi Gang, I have been trying to find the correct clips for the door & quarter panel and tail panel for awhile now and figured why not ask the group and see. For some reason the previous owner took all the SE trim off (saving weight for drag racing??) but anyway I have all the trim but no clips and cant seem to locate them anywhere. Even Tom the "clipologist" from R/T Specialties does not have them, too expensive to tool them for the demand. He said it was actually three different clips all together to hold the trim on. I got some clips from a guy that did body work in the 70's but not sure if the are correct. I found the part numbers in the parts book but cant seem to locate any. It is frustrating to look at the car without the trim on and all the holes showing. HELP PLEASE! Thanks, Wayne.

Cuda Cody

Yikes, sounds like you have looked and talked to all the right people.  This might be one of those ones that you have to find at a swap meet or get someone to look in their parts stash for them.  Does anyone even have a photo of all the right SE trim clips so we know what we are looking for?

nctoymaker

I found clips that will work on the stainless trim on the top of the door and quarter window at:  www.auveco.com   Part #3944866  They're GM clips but the fit the 1/4" hole in the door and quarter window.

They also have an 800 number on their web site if you have questions.  May want to write down the width of the trim piece you need the clips for and the hole size in the body.  Example:  the part mentioned above has a 1/4" hole, where most trim uses a 5/16" hole.

Good luck and let me know how you make out.  If you want to discuss further let me know I will try to help as much as I can.

Take care,
Bob

Roadman

Hey @nctoymaker   welcome to the party.    :welcome:

750-h2

I just installed all of those mouldings on my SE. The glass was out I was able to reach inside the doors and 1/4's and use the readily available threaded clips. On the doors I had to make the front and rear end clips. Both style are simple design and easy to reproduce. 

headejm

:needphotos:

Here are the two clips for the top of the door. The top of the quarter panels just use the larger of the two clips. Difficult to find and I'm still looking.

Wayno56

I know,I know pictures. It was late when I posted and a pain to load pictures on my wife's MacBook (well for me anyway). Thanks for the replies and as I said in the past what a great forum and group of people. @headejm the bottom picture is exactly the clips I have,thanks much for those photos. My door trim had the back fasteners and I bought a beat set of trim just for the front inserts that screws go into