Main Menu

1971 cuda grill

Started by Shoooter, November 17, 2017, 04:48:22 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Shoooter

On a 1971 cuda grill are the chrome headlight rings painted on the inside? is there a difference if the grill it painted body colour or argent? I have seen originals that are painted black on the inside and some that are chrome. if they do get painted are they black or body colour.  thanks

anlauto

There's only two styles of headlight rings.

Chrome rings with black paint on the inside, ONLY available on body-coloured grills

Argent rings with black paint on the inside, ONLY available on Argent grills. 
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Shoooter

ok the ones I ordered from Roseville parts were chrome on the inside and out. thabks for clearing it up. I have found old rings that were all chrome so it threw me off. I haven't seen any argent ones yet

Shoooter

can people with 71 cudas please post a good picture of there. looking to see both styles. from the looks of it they are black on the inside with about 1/4" of chrome on the lip?

Rich G.

Here's mine. Hope you can make the pic bigger so you can see.

anlauto

The outside side and just the very outer lip (approximately 1/8" wide) should be left chrome, the entire inside should be blacked-out :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

Claudia

Quote from: Shoooter on November 18, 2017, 03:26:36 PM
can people with 71 cudas please post a good picture of there. looking to see both styles. from the looks of it they are black on the inside with about 1/4" of chrome on the lip?

Here are some pictures of mine.

Shoooter

looks great everyone! correct me if in wrong but is the lower balance insert argent or body colour on painted grill cars? I thought it matched the grill?

CudaMoparRay

Hope this helps although it is missing the chrome trim around the front fascia

anlauto

Should always match the grill. :alan2cents:

Claudia

Quote from: Shoooter on November 21, 2017, 08:52:44 PM
looks great everyone! correct me if in wrong but is the lower balance insert argent or body colour on painted grill cars? I thought it matched the grill?

Front, lower valance insert should be painted to match the grill to be correct.

Shoooter

that is what I thought. thanks

E74cuda

Where their seems to be some confusion is that the assembly line chrome headlight rings were painted black on the inside completely and the replacement or NOS ones that you could get from the dealer had an unpainted inner portion towards the inner front.

Shoooter

Would the inside need to be primered before sprayed flat black? Or would the black be enough to cover the chrome?

anlauto

Quote from: Shoooter on April 17, 2020, 05:39:26 PM
Would the inside need to be primered before sprayed flat black? Or would the black be enough to cover the chrome?

You won't need primer, but you could scuff the chrome a bit :alan2cents: