Main Menu

Challenger SE production numbers?

Started by Iowa Six Barrel, November 20, 2017, 08:40:38 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Iowa Six Barrel

I have a 1970 Challenger SE. I do not have original motor or transmission but fender tag shows it was a 318 with a 4 speed transmission. I believe there were 59 SEs built this way. Mine is go Mengo Orange. I think maybe 3 SE 318 4 speeds were made. Does anyone know what the other colors might have been - specifically were there other high impact colors? Am I correct on the 3 Go Mengo builds? 

anlauto

The number 59 would be correct, but nobody in the world could give you an accurate breakdown of the colours unless ALL 59 are in a registry somewhere which I doubt....

The percentage of 70 Challengers painted EK2's overall is known, and I guess you could use that number to find what percentage of the 59 MIGHT be EK2, but that's a long shot guess and best...
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Cuda Cody

Rare car for sure.  Great color and a 4 speed!   :banana:

1 Wild R/T

SPD Nov 20th.... 48 years ago today...

4 spd with A/C isn't common but trying to pin down how many? Good luck.... FWIW a buddy parted out a 318 4 spd SE about 16 years ago...

anlauto

This would be the type of rare car that I would love to see restored back 100% to the broadcast sheet, 318 and all....., but most people will just end up modifying to to their own personal taste... :console:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

71GranCoupe

4 speed with AC, that was not real common back in the day. I have a soft spot for cars with that combo. Cool. :wowzers:

Katfish

Here's a breakdown of colors, not 100% accurate as it takes the % of car types and combines with the % of color types.

anlauto

That's probably what someone did....Took the 4.5% of all SEs and used that number against the 59 318 4speeds and came up with the number of 3......but saying that only 3 of the 59 318 4speed SEs are EK2 is ridiculous based only on that math. :alan2cents:

RUNCHARGER

I agree: These days a car that unique should be restored correctly. Not so just a few years ago.
Sheldon

Iowa Six Barrel

Thank you for the input. Very helpful. A person is interested in buying the car and inquired about the production numbers. I felt the 59 was the only number I could be certain of. Hopefully who ever buys it will go OEM but to each their own.