Main Menu

Convertible glass

Started by Rich G., November 09, 2017, 09:37:25 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Rich G.

Is the quarter window glass and frame the same on all E Bodies or are the hardtops and convertibles different?

Cuda Cody

I think it is the same?   :notsure: 

6bblgt

they are NOT the same:
convertible quarter glass is the same between Barracuda & Challenger

hardtop quarter glass is specific to either Barracuda or Challenger

anlauto

The door glass and 1/4 window glass on a CONVERTIBLE is the same for both Cuda and Challenger.

The door glass and 1/4 window glass from a HARDTOP is completely different from a CONVERTIBLE.

The door glass from a HARDTOP is the same for both Cuda and Challenger HARDTOP

The 1/4 window glass for a HARDTOP is different for Cuda HARDTOP or Challenger HARDTOP or E Body CONVERTIBLE

Clear as mud :crazytalk:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Cuda Cody

Thank you for the correction!  I learned something new.   :thankyou:

6bblgt

Quote from: anlauto on November 09, 2017, 11:13:13 AM
Clear as mud :crazytalk:
put that way, YES!

E-body side glass (not getting into years)

1/4 window - Barracuda hardtop ONLY
1/4 window - Challenger hardtop ONLY
1/4 window  - convertible (Barracuda & Challenger are SAME)
door - hardtop (Barracuda & Challenger are SAME)
door - convertible (Barracuda & Challenger are SAME)

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

1 Wild R/T

Rich G.

Thank for clearing that up.....I think.  LOL

Cuda_mark

I have a full set of driver quality clear very glass if anyone is interestedly.

Bpret

Hardtop or convertible. Selling as a set only?

Topcat

Quote from: Cuda_mark on November 19, 2017, 02:32:56 PM

Put a picture of the date code and you will get more interest.

What are they out of?

interestedly...that's a new word I haven't  heard out here in the West.

Cuda_mark

Quote from: Topcat on November 19, 2017, 07:31:53 PM
Quote from: Cuda_mark on November 19, 2017, 02:32:56 PM

Put a picture of the date code and you will get more interest.

What are they out of?

interestedly...that's a new word I haven't  heard out here in the West.

Haha...it's a word I made up to attract more interest-edly.  Truth is, I just finished off a Treehouse IPA so that might have had something to do with it.

Anyway, it's a full matched set of clear convertible glass. I bought it a few years ago off of Ken Mosier at Carlisle. If there is interest, I will take some pictures of the date codes.

CudaJack

Hi, do you still have the 'cuda convertible glass? I would need the driver's door piece. Mine was badly scratched in a wide swath from a previous owner having wound it up and down with the glass partially off the lift-channel. With great effort and care I was able to sand and polish it back to a decent level of optical clarity but now it looks like there is a slightly blurry stripe. I may be able to improve that with some special glass polishing paste. Prior to that I had tried an AMD repop but it was pure junk - the curvatures were all wrong in a couple of axes, and the top edge-profile was wavy and undulating like it had been hand ground without a jig/template - like up to 1/8" dips and highs all along. This glass looked terrible and would not get even close to sealing against the weatherstrip at any point. The Chrysler logo and date code etching looks awful too. Regards, Jack

cudaize

Quote from: CudaJack on February 15, 2020, 04:54:33 AM
I had tried an AMD repop but it was pure junk - the curvatures were all wrong , Jack

I would look into ECS glass.  I have an ECS windshield and ECS quarter windows in my 71 Cuda convertible.  I had all my original glass and they matched my logos exact.  I even took measurements of where they were and the angle of placement on the quarter windows and they duplicated. 

The curvature of the quarters was almost exact.  The only comment I can say is that the original would slip into the front stainless frame with equal, say 1/16" spacing front and back, where the repro was slightly off in the center.  Maybe for an 1-1/2" or less length in the center the spacing was say 1/32 on one side and 3/32 on the other.  To me this was acceptable.  The window fits well in the car and looks clear.  When ordering I would tell them of your experience with bad curvatures.  I believe they have templates to check this.  My understanding is that they are buying glass which has the minimal government required stamps in a place that won't show when installed and they put their etching on it.  I think they have vetted a couple suppliers to get the best currently available.