Main Menu

Fan belt question?

Started by 750-h2, September 26, 2017, 06:26:36 PM

Previous topic Next topic

750-h2

Looking for a fan belt and power steering belt that is smooth on all sides. Seems like all new belts have cogs on them. Other than the reproduction Quanta belts is anyone aware of any manufacture that is still making regular V belts without cogs? Thanks!

Cuda Cody

Will the Quanta belts not work?  That's what I've been using and they have been great.

anlauto

I put Quanta belts on all my restorations. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

750-h2

I read that they were pretty well a "show" only belt.  Looks like you guys have had good experience with them so I will order a set.  Thanks.

anlauto

After running a bit, you need to retighten them  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

750-h2

Shane Kelley

I would like to add one thing about the Quanta belts.  I love the way they look but if you run a car hard and hit rpm's higher than 6000 chances are it will come off. I first ran into this with the 70 Challenger Hemi car I did with a manual trans. The first time it cam off I was thinking pulleys are not perfectly lined up. Checked it with a straight edge and sure enough it was off by a .010. Put a parts store belt on for the meantime and ordered some shims. They came in and I lined everything up perfect. Put the Quanta back on and did a test drive. Did a couple of medium rips in the car and everything seemed fine. Couple days later owner calls and says the belt came off.  :pullinghair: I figured the belt must have been damaged from the first toss. Stuck the cheap belt back on and and ordered a new Quanta. A couple weeks later I put the new Quanta back on and recheck pulley alignment. Everything looked perfect. Keep in mind he was driving it hard with the cheap belt all this time. So I took it out and ran it real hard and sure enough when you get in the mid 6000 rpm range off it comes. I put the cheap belt back on and chucked it up that something is going on that I'm not seeing.  :notsure:

Fast forward 2 years and my 71 Cuda with a 340. Original pulleys and spacers. Take it out for a rip and pull into a gas station and it's spewing antifreeze. Look down and the belt is off. Put it back on and let it rip. Sure enough the belt comes off again. I check the pulleys and the alternator was maybe a hair off. I made a spacer and put a cheap belt on to get to a show in Columbus. Did burnouts and ran it hard all weekend.  :burnout: I figured my problem was fixed. Got my new Quanta belt in and finally got around to putting it on a couple weeks  later. Wasn't thinking anything about it and was out letting it rip and sure enough it spit the belt off. Went home and put the cheap belt back on and headed out. Ran it up to 6900rpm and it never came off. Still on there right now. So I have come to the conclusion that the Quanta's don't like high rpm for whatever reason. Maybe they stretch to easy?  :thinking:  2 different cars and combinations. Only constant was running higher rpm's.

Now if you have a show car and don't intend to run it hard I'm sure they are fine. But just remember if you plan on pushing any rpm's it's probable it will come off.

anlauto