Main Menu

Interesting T/A coming up Mecum Dallas.

Started by Roadman, August 21, 2017, 12:52:51 PM

Previous topic Next topic

JH27N0B

All this talk about the T/As fender bolts had me worried.  My bodywork was finished be the same shop that did that black T/A, and they painted it.
It's correct on my car with the nuts.
There were other errors, that black car was done about 10 years ago, and the shop hadn't figured out you are supposed to mask around the side marker cutouts and fuel tube before applying the undercoating/sound deadener on the inside of the quarters.  Didn't know it then, didn't know it when they did my car.  Still hadn't figured it out a year back when they did a 70 V code Challenger.
The shop finished an FJ6 AAR and the black T/A around the same time.  The AAR got 1st at the nats in class, and the T/A got second.  I liked the T/A better as the AAR was over-restored.  The shop owner told me they couldn't do the T/A to the level they wanted as the "owner ran short of money".
The shop owner is on the judging team for the OE judging at Carlisle for what it's worth.
He made some mistakes on my car that show he still has things to learn though. :alan2cents:

AAR#2

Quote from: fc7cuda on September 09, 2017, 10:57:00 AM
Quote from: AAR#2 on September 09, 2017, 07:06:33 AM
Quote from: fc7cuda on September 09, 2017, 05:33:07 AM
. . .  If you're an OEM purist, you'd be surprised/disappointed with the cars.  I speaking mainly of the AAR/TAs and such.  As stated earlier the bolts on the Black TA fenders is a clear sign that the restoration shop is not a high caliber Mopar shop.

Maybe a bit off beat for this thread but I find it disturbing when comments like this are stated as all encompassing. I for one was well aware of the claims that all AARs/T/As come with the stud and nut at two locations, however, when I disassembled my car I'm about 99.9% sure the fenders and bolts were original, and not a stud/nut to be found on engine bay fenders. I was faced with the dilemma to change what is socially acceptable or build the car back as it left the factory. I chose to not change history and keep things as they were. I'm certain I will have many an enthusiast with good intention point out the error of my ways, so I've resolved myself to being ready to have this battle with every showing. My concern is that it's entirely possible that history, over time, is changed based on comments like this, and at some point history will be lost.

I agree that there are generally items that reflect a common build, but one always needs to question plausibility and look for other indicators, particularly when talking fasteners and head markings

The fender bolt/stud was one of several items I noticed to be generally considered incorrect on the Black TA.  It was also stated earlier in this thread.  No disturbance was intended, just part of my overall observance of a car that could/should have been better, especially for the money it brought.   :alan2cents:

:drinkingbud:

I know there was no malicious intent, and trust me we all continue to learn. I just wanted to point out that a pain staking restoration may yield several 'incorrect' features and could actually be worth much more. I'd just like to see more buck the system and restore what they find rather than follow the crowd and lose history.

I too intended no I'll will, just awareness

Cuda Cody

Did you guys see the green Cuda clone was bought by the Gas Monkey guy.

Roadman

RzeroB

Quote from: Roadman on September 22, 2017, 12:54:36 PM
       This T/A just sold at Mecum Louisville  for  49K.           https://www.mecum.com/lots/LS0917-295808/1970-dodge-challenger-ta/

There are so many things wrong with that car that I don't even know where to begin!!  :thumbdown:

Just kidding!!  :Stirring:  Looks really nice to me ... really striking in that color combination ... and I love the H5X9 "houndstooth" interior!!  :inlove:
Cheers!
Tom

Tis' better to have owned classic Mopars and lost than to have never owned at all (apologies to Alfred Lord Tennyson)

Cuda Cody

Those are hard cars to sell.  It's that middle ground where you can't afford to fix all the little things to make it a high end car, but it's still way nicer then most projects or drivers.  After fees and things I think it's about where it should be in terms of price.   :burnout:  Someone is going to love it and mostly likely really enjoy driving it.

JH27N0B

What's up with the hood on that car, is it really that badly warped?
I love the houndstooth interior.  Would love to get a car with cloth seats someday.  Vinyl sucks on hot days!
Like Cody said, it has a lot wrong with it, but updating errors makes for a lot of fun weekend projects as long as the major stuff like body and paint are good.
Price after Mecums fee would be close to $54K, which is strong money for a D32 T/A with lots of details wrong.