Main Menu

Need to vent and calm down

Started by IRON MAN, November 22, 2017, 04:37:50 PM

Previous topic Next topic

IRON MAN

One month ago I ordered a T/A hood, springs and hood pin kit from ........The UPS 40' trailer pulled up today. The driver asked me to inspect the box the hood was in. The bottom corner had obviously been hit. Looked like a forklift tore it open and then it was taped shut. The driver lowered it to the ground with a tuck-away-lift. He suggested I open the cardboard box. I opened it and the rear passenger side corner had been hit by something and about two inches of gel coat was broken off exposing fiberglass mat or woving.  :verymad: Driver suggested not to accept and refuse delivery and to call the vendor. I called right then. Got a recording they are closed for Thanksgiving, open Friday, closed Thanksgiving weekend. I'm compelled to call USAA Mastercard to charge the vendor back. The bill was $1,153.53! My :madashell: blood is boiling. Any suggestions. The T/A hood was in a cardboard box unprotected.....no padding, styrofoam, nothing! I don't want to go through this again. The hood was shipped from Georgia to Illinois, to N. California. Who knows how many stops on the way and trailer changes. I need reassurance this will not happen again. Anyone else go through this. 

Cuda Cody

I've had to send back T/A hoods before.  The vendor that I have used in the past ships them sandwiched between cardboard without any bracing.  I'm very surprised when they make it without any damage.  Best to send it back and let them ship another.   :alan2cents:

Brads70

Bummer, mine was shipped from Texas to Buffalo NY but it was in a wooden shipping crate and cardboard, bubble wrap etc....

HP_Cuda

This clearly show the difference between vendors that care about mopars and those that just want to make a buck.

:bricks:
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

RUNCHARGER

Let the vendor and shipping company duke it out but you need a new hood.
Sheldon

Spikedog08

Sad that I have heard this story before . . . Wish you luck! 
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

nsmall

UPS destroyed a OEM heater box this year.  They were about impossible to work with.  Hopefully you can deal with the vendor directly?  Get your money back and go with vendor who knows how to package a hood.  @Brads70 who did you use?

Chryco Psycho

Sorry , I will not let anyone ship UBS
in theory all you have lost is time at least

Brads70

Quote from: nsmall on November 22, 2017, 08:53:08 PM
UPS destroyed a OEM heater box this year.  They were about impossible to work with.  Hopefully you can deal with the vendor directly?  Get your money back and go with vendor who knows how to package a hood.  @Brads70 who did you use?

I can't remember the name but it was an ebay purchase.

AAR#2

If it's any consolation, many suppliers seem to have this issue. after spending 1k+ for my dash to be redone, the company shipped it in bubble wrap and a cardboard box . . . not once . . . but twice ! Each time the end product was damaged. Talk about frustration ! ! Each time I was forced to call and complain, take photos of the box prior to opening, product damage, and each time I was forced to send it back after it was left on my door step. The companies response was "look, we can't help it that UPS isn't careful and damaged your parts, but we're trying to make things right"  :unbelievable: The 3rd shipment was boxed differently and managed to survive the transport from CA to AZ.

The flip side of this is a guy like Jim Ridge who takes great care in shipping of alternators. I spoke with him at great length and he explained how he took one boxed, and threw it off the 2nd story of a building to test durability and the ability to resist damage.

I'd have gladly paid an additional $?? to have dash delivered damage free the first time, additionally if I were the supplier there is no way I'd want the experience ruined by someone receiving damaged goods, particularly when the content value is substantial.

Chryco Psycho

Why suppliers will not spend a few extra $$ to package their parts properly makes no sense , it has to save $ in the long run

js27

Yes I agree. I know you feel sick about this and are mad but lets face it these shippers do not care about your car parts. My company ships signs all over the country every day and you would be surprised how many get damaged. Some signs are $ 50,000.00 and we built custom wooden crates for each sign which could withstand a F-5 tornado and still they get smashed up. Forks driven right through a sign from front to back--it really is amazing how anyone could do so much damage but they do. You are really not out any money so just decline the order and call the vendor and tell them. When you get the next one make sure you open it up and check it thoroughly even if the box is NOT showing any damage. Shippers will sometimes destroy the original box and throw the item in a new box. If you don't check it then and open it later and fine out it is damaged then they can say you did it. So check it out before accepting any package.
GOOD LUCK

JS27

torredcuda

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on November 23, 2017, 04:52:14 AM
Why suppliers will not spend a few extra $$ to package their parts properly makes no sense , it has to save $ in the long run

Anytime I ship parts I pack expecting the shipping companies to be totally careless and pretty much destructive with packages. Lot`s of reinforcement in the box, lot`s of packing/bubble etc. and taped well, basically tornado proof! If I can do that at home it is ridiculous tha a company can send a big expensive, FRAGILE part like  a fiberglass hood and not pack it well enough.   :pullinghair:
Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/

nsmall

Quote from: js27 on November 23, 2017, 05:56:45 AM
Yes I agree. I know you feel sick about this and are mad but lets face it these shippers do not care about your car parts. My company ships signs all over the country every day and you would be surprised how many get damaged. Some signs are $ 50,000.00 and we built custom wooden crates for each sign which could withstand a F-5 tornado and still they get smashed up. Forks driven right through a sign from front to back--it really is amazing how anyone could do so much damage but they do. You are really not out any money so just decline the order and call the vendor and tell them. When you get the next one make sure you open it up and check it thoroughly even if the box is NOT showing any damage. Shippers will sometimes destroy the original box and throw the item in a new box. If you don't check it then and open it later and fine out it is damaged then they can say you did it. So check it out before accepting any package.
GOOD LUCK

JS27 :iagree:

Had this problem too.  Box look fine.  Contents destroyed and it was packaged by UPS who fought to reimburse me.

TTI sent headers to me recently.  I live 45 minutes from where they shipped them.  Headers were sticking out of the box. 

Rich G.

I work for UPS and after seeing how things are handled by people who hate their job it's amazing anything shows up in one piece. If you're going to ship anything pretend it's going to be dropped out of a 3rd story window and survive. Now it's safe to ship. Just Dashes has the best packing I've ever seen but you pay for it. Dash showed up perfect.