Main Menu

Paint codes

Started by Biffielube, September 16, 2017, 05:34:33 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Biffielube

My 71 Cuda has a paint code of GB5. What is the difference between B5 and GB5? Anyone have the mix formulation for the GB5 they would give?
Thanks

FlatlandTA

I could be wrong but G-71

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 Wild R/T

What most think of as B5 is actually EB5,  Personally I like GB5 more...

The first year Chrysler used the alphanumeric coding for paint is 1969 but the used the same letter codes as was used on engines so

E= 1969
F = 1970
G = 1971
H = 1972

GB5 is similar to EB5 but has more of a gray undertone so it looks more classy & has a little less "pop"...

Cuda Cody

EB3-GranCoupe

1974 is sometime overlooked: KB5 - Lucerne Blue

My first Barracuda ws that color, with blue interior, and black stripe and vinyl top.  I still have an occasional dream that i still own it!  :crying:

Adams1stCuda

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on September 16, 2017, 05:51:28 PM

The first year Chrysler used the alphanumeric coding for paint is 1969 but the used the same letter codes as was used on engines so

E= 1969
F = 1970
G = 1971
H = 1972

GB5 is similar to EB5 but has more of a gray undertone so it looks more classy & has a little less "pop"...

I have GB5 on my 72 build sheet...?

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: Adam213 on November 02, 2017, 08:01:07 AM
Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on September 16, 2017, 05:51:28 PM

E= 1969
F = 1970
G = 1971
H = 1972

I have GB5 on my 72 build sheet...?

The year listed with colors is the year it was released, not the year it was applied....  EB5 was used in 69 & 70   TX9 probably was the longest run..... They were spraying it long before they started calling it TX9...

js27

Wow-learn something new everyday. I always thought it was the same color.
JS27

RUNCHARGER

Then there's the infamous GB6. I still remember how P.O.ed I was when I picked it up at the painters after 6 months for a straight sand and shoot.
Sheldon

anlauto

Do you mean too dark to be B5 and too light to be B7 ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

RUNCHARGER

Yep: We were moving so I couldn't get him to respray it the way I told him the first time. I lost it a bit that time. Had my hands around the guys throat and pinned against the wall. I guess we've all had our bodyshop experiences.
Sheldon