Main Menu

Random Hemi E-Body of the Week

Started by RzeroB, August 02, 2017, 07:48:02 PM

Previous topic Next topic

RzeroB

I know we have seen this one before, but since it is the second Hemi E-body made, I thought that we could briefly revisit it to maintain continuity. Of course we're talking about BS23R0B100010 - the public relations promotional car that adorned the Barracuda sales brochure and other Chrysler promotional materials.

The car has some unique features to it. I don't know if they are a result of the Chrysler Public Relations department taking some creative liberties or if the Chrysler designers were experimenting with some things before finalizing them for production. One of the most obvious things is the Argent Silver tail panel like that found on the Grand Coupes.

A closer look reveals some other interesting details. Note the Hockey Stick Stripe ... it is an early "long blade" Hockey Stick Stripe where the "blade" part of the stripe extends all the way down to the top of the side marker light. Later regular production stripes only extended down to the body crease line above the side marker light. Then note the Elastomeric bumper guards - they are covered in Elastomeric body color just like the bumpers. Later regular production Elastomeric bumpers came with chrome bumper guards. I don't know why that is as I personally prefer the color matched bumper guards.

In the engine compartment the Shaker was available in red to match those cars that were painted FE5 Rallye-Red. On this car the Shaker inlet grills are also painted red where on later regular production car they are black.

This picture from the 2005 Barrett-Jackson Scottsdale auction ad shows the car with some unusual wheels. They look like aluminum colored Road Wheels as opposed to the two regular production wheels available for the HemiCuda - the 15" steel wheel with hubcap or the 15" Rallye Wheel. In the sales brochure the car is shown with Rallye Wheels, so I don't know what is the story behind these unusual looking wheels.

As a final note, apparently Cody has a bit of a personal connection with this car. I read somewhere on the forum that years ago Cody's friend owned this car and Cody assisted him in restoring it. With that, maybe Cody can give us some personal insight of his experience with this rather noteworthy car?

Cheers!
Tom

Tis' better to have owned classic Mopars and lost than to have never owned at all (apologies to Alfred Lord Tennyson)

6bblgt

Quotesince it is the second known Hemi E-body assigned VIN made

I'd assume the elastomeric bumper guards were eliminated as a cost cutting measure, there would have been OPTIONAL front bumper guards for Barracuda/Gran Coupe in all the available bumper colors & additional inventory nightmares?

the magazine articles and early pics of 0B100010 had what appears to be base '69 BOSS 302 wheels on it (with trim rings)

hood pins seem to change position on the car from various pics & "photoshopped" wheels/tires

I find it ODD that Gran Coupe ended up with a black grill & argent tail panel VS. 'cuda with an argent grill & black tail panel  :notsure:
I guess they finally got it correct on the AAR'cuda, black - front & rear  :twothumbsup:

6bblgt

can we "assume" these are pics of 0B100010 in September '69's HOT ROD magazine with 1969 Fury 15" wheel covers, no stripes & Barracuda fender script? (chrome bumper guards & black tail panel?)

6bblgt

here are more pics from September '69 Sports Car Graphic & a few from the '70 CARS - a model year introduction magazine

6bblgt

Cuda Cody

I'll get on my buddy again for some more pics of the 100010 Cuda from when he restored it.  I know he has a bunch of photos.

TobiasM

Great to learn about that red Promo-Cuda, Tom, thanks!

4 questions/hinds from my side:

1) also no " 'Cuda" batch on the tail panel!

2) rear window-molding is flat-black. I am not sure, but didn't have all the production cars a rear window-molding in chromed/stainless finish?

3) May this car be a Hemi-Cuda with the GranCoupé-Package? Maybe also with overhead console? Interiour pictures would be of help...

4) Don't wanna offend nobody, but I tought I learned that you cannot tell from the VIN-sequence-#, that this is the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 824th etc. built car, as the cars were not built in order of VIN-sequence. There is another sequence-#, which is on the far left on top of a buildsheet, that reflects the real manufacturing-order on the assembly line and that other sequence-# differs to the VIN-sequence-#. Or was this a car with a "job build number" that states it as "job 2", so one can tell from this, that it is the 2nd Hemi-Cuda built? Did I get anything wrong? Again: don't wanna offend anybody!

61K T/A

I wish I had a real Hemi Cuda. Great thread!

RzeroB

Quote from: TobiasM on August 06, 2017, 03:41:29 AM
Don't wanna offend nobody, but I tought I learned that you cannot tell from the VIN-sequence-#, that this is the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 824th etc. built car, as the cars were not built in order of VIN-sequence. There is another sequence-#, which is on the far left on top of a buildsheet, that reflects the real manufacturing-order on the assembly line and that other sequence-# differs to the VIN-sequence-#. Or was this a car with a "job build number" that states it as "job 2", so one can tell from this, that it is the 2nd Hemi-Cuda built? Did I get anything wrong? Again: don't wanna offend anybody!

You are correct (as far as I know). After the pilot car 100003, it is generally assumed that this public relations car was the second one made. However, without seeing the build sheet, the exact order of build is unknown to me. Thanks for your input!
Cheers!
Tom

Tis' better to have owned classic Mopars and lost than to have never owned at all (apologies to Alfred Lord Tennyson)

RzeroB

The next August built car we have is a really mysterious one. Mysterious in that it is an enigma, a ghost, a "unicorn" if you will. It is believed to have really existed, yet little evidence of it's being has ever been discovered. We're talking about none other than the enigmatic BS27R0B100012 HemiCuda convertible which is also known as "the flat-hood HemiCuda".

So little is know about this car because frankly nobody has seen it. What few pictures exist of it are early Chrysler promotional advertising photos from 1969/1970 and a few others from from that time period (no doubt about the time period - just look at those outfits the guy and the girl are wearing!).

While searching for more information on this car, I came upon a contribution by Ola Nilsson to Wes Eisenschenk's book "Lost Muscle Cars". Here are a couple of paraphrased excerpts by Ola from Wes' book:

"To the collector of rare muscle cars, a 1970 HemiCuda convertible is, indeed a prized catch. To date, 13 of the 14 U.S. spec cars have been found and accounted for. Colors, options, data plate codes, broadcast sheets, history and more have been documented for each of those cars. That leaves one 1970 HemiCuda convertible that is unaccounted for. It is believed to be the first HemiCuda convertible ever built. I have found a probable VIN: BS27R0B100012."

Ola continues ...

"Very few facts are known about this particular car. It has an automatic transmission, Ivy-Green-Metallic exterior paint code EF8, and green interior code H6F8. Studying the photos and magazine articles from 1969, I can determine options from this car. Some of them are A21 Front Elastomeric Bumper Group, B51 Power Disc Brakes, C16 Center Console, P31 Power Windows, P37 Power Convertible Top, R11 AM Radio and a Y91 Show Car Finish. Several odd things that may be due to the pre-production status are a flat hood (instead of the standard Shaker hood for the HemiCuda), the absence of the M25 Wide Sill Moldings, and a partial horn-ring steering wheel."

Ola closes out by saying ...

"Some of the history that is rumored about this missing HemiCuda convertible is the following: The car lost it's Hemi engine and it was replaced by a Slant-6 in the mid 1970's. This car might be in Ohio, or Texas. Someone once talked to a guy who owned this car in the 1980's. The last report is that this car was rusty. If you have any information about this car or have heard any rumors, please contact me."

As a HemiCuda convertible, like all of the other Hemi E-body convertibles, it would be a Holy-Grail find worth BIG $$$ if it were found. As such, Ola is not the only one looking for it. Numerous ads by various Holy-Grail seekers can periodically be found in Hemmings, Mopar Collector's Guide and other places. Here is an example.

When it comes to this car it's hard not to be skeptical. Other than the guy who talked to another guy who claimed to have owned it in the 1980's (??), nobody has actually seen it in person. Of course being that it is worth so much, it could be another situation like that which surrounded the 1971 HemiCuda convertible now owned by Wade Ogle. In that situation a prior owner hid it and sat on it for nearly 30 years before he finally let go of it. However, in that situation, there was adequate evidence that the car existed, and a small handful of people actually knew where it was. Money drives everything. With the astronomical seven-figure prices that these cars now demand, if someone was sitting on 100012 waiting for their ship to come in, surely they would have boarded that boat and set sail by now. However, for 100012 that hasn't happened. So it begs the question, does it really exist, or is it just a ... unicorn?     

Cheers!
Tom

Topcat

Likely then this was the first one to wear the Cuda on the tail panel.

Cuda Cody

Man, how cool would it be if that car was found.  Even if it wasn't a real Hemi, just being able to find 100012 would answer so many questions.  Any chance the factory just put a Hemi decal on rear quarter?  Have you heard any new news about the car Ola?  @cudaized

6bblgt

I know it has been asked, but I don't know if I've seen a confirmed answer .....

Will a HEMI & air cleaner fit under a flat hood?

Cuda Cody

That's exactly what I was thinking.   :yes:

Quote from: 6bblgt on August 08, 2017, 11:05:51 PM
Will a HEMI & air cleaner fit under a flat hood?