Random Hemi E-Body of the Week

Started by RzeroB, August 02, 2017, 07:48:02 PM

Previous topic Next topic

fc7cuda

Quote from: Cuda Cody on September 08, 2017, 07:40:04 PM
I really dig the black shaker with the white.   :inlove:

:iagree:  Color contrast is awesome!

RzeroB

Our next September car is the first one of what is arguably the pinnacle of the Hemi E-bodies - the 1971 HemiCuda convertibles. Legendary styling, an iconic engine, a convertible top and a ridiculously low production number, all add up to put the '71 HemiCuda convertibles in a very elite class. It all started with this car BS27R1B126869 which was scheduled to be built on Sep 9th 1970.

An unusual car in that for it being part of a very elite group, it isn't particularly flashy, in fact it's actually kind of understated. No High-Impact colors here, just simple Sno-White paint with a basic black vinyl interior and top.

Add to that the white steel wheels, standard instrument cluster and pedestrian column shift automatic and you have what appears to be a very sedate vehicle. I'm sure with it's "sheepish" looks it caught more than one unsuspecting adversary with it's guard down because this thing was very much a "wolf in sheep's clothing"!  :o

This car had dropped out of sight and disappeared in the late 70's, early 80's. Then in the early 2000's rumors of it's whereabouts began to circulate. Collector Brett Torino employed Fred Englehart to followed up those rumors and help him to eventually buy the long lost car. Mopar Collector's Guide did an article on the car and it can be seen here

In January 2016 Brett Torino sold off a considerable number of his high profile Mopar muscle cars to include this one at Mecum's Kissimmee auction. When the hammer finally dropped, this white elephant sold for a hefty $2.3 million dollars!  :bigmoney:  The Mecum ad can still be seen here  https://www.mecum.com/lots/FL0116-229795/

Cheers!
Tom

Tis' better to have owned classic Mopars and lost than to have never owned at all (apologies to Alfred Lord Tennyson)

6bblgt

Quote from: RzeroB on September 13, 2017, 11:46:23 PM
It all started with this car BS27R1B126869 which was scheduled to be built on Sep 9th 1970.

here's an ad for it from '72, not even 2 years old & it needed new Polyglas GTs  :twothumbsup:  and the new mags looked like this, just like the '71 Indy pace car Challenger

Cuda Cody

RzeroB

Anyone like black on an E-body?? Of course we do!! Our next September born car is also a '71, but this one is a hardtop ... and it is finished in TX9 Black Formal. Here we have BS23R1B125185, 1 of only 107 hardtops made for the U.S. market, and of those 1 of 59 with a 4-speed.

From it's Fender Tag we can see that this HemiCuda came equipped with the nice SRX9 black leather interior, A34 Super-Track-Pack 4:10 geared Dana Axle Package, A62 Rallye Gauges Package, B51 Power Disc Brakes, C16 Center Console, G11 Tinted Glass and G33 Chrome Remote Control LH Sport Mirror among other things. This is a very nicely equipped car!!

This HemiCuda still retains it's original numbers matching driveline but the same can't exactly be said for all of it's body. At some time in the 1970's the car was damaged in a garage fire and per it's 2011 sales ad it was to some extent "rebodied" to repair the fire damage. Very similar to another '71 HemiCuda that was heavily damaged in a garage fire in 1999 and is currently one of the featured restorations on Graveyard Carz  https://www.facebook.com/gyc.willscott/photos/pcb.511006445912008/511006365912016/?type=3&theater

Near the recent peak of muscle car prices in 2006-2007, this HemiCuda sold at a Barrett-Jackson auction for a whopping $648,000 even despite it being a partially "rebodied" car.

Five years later after the economic "adjustment", this same car sold again at a Barrett-Jackson auction for a relatively low price of $117.7K - a drop in value of over a half-million dollars!! Ouch!! That had to hurt!!

Cheers!
Tom

Tis' better to have owned classic Mopars and lost than to have never owned at all (apologies to Alfred Lord Tennyson)

Cuda Cody

WOW, that was a big drop on price.  But it would not matter to me if I owned it.... I would just love to drive that car and would be so proud to own it I would not care what it was worth.  Very cool car.

fc7cuda

Quote from: RzeroB on September 19, 2017, 06:45:11 PM
Anyone like black on an E-body?? Of course we do!! Our next September born car is also a '71, but this one is a hardtop ... and it is finished in TX9 Black Formal. Here we have BS23R1B125185, 1 of only 107 hardtops made for the U.S. market, and of those 1 of 59 with a 4-speed.

This HemiCuda still retains it's original numbers matching driveline but the same can't exactly be said for all of it's body. At some time in the 1970's the car was damaged in a garage fire and per it's 2011 sales ad it was to some extent "rebodied" to repair the fire damage.

Near the recent peak of muscle car prices in 2006-2007, this HemiCuda sold at a Barrett-Jackson auction for a whopping $648,000 even despite it being a partially "rebodied" car.

Five years later after the economic "adjustment", this same car sold again at a Barrett-Jackson auction for a relatively low price of $117.7K - a drop in value of over a half-million dollars!! Ouch!! That had to hurt!!

The previous owner actually had 2 Hemicudas burn in the storage fire, it was local to me and he saved the twisted/warped shaker emblem.  It was sad to see.   :crying:

Chryco Psycho

RzeroB

If I have my info right (and if I don't KissAlien will be quick to correct me!  :pokeeye: ), oddly enough a color-matched grille was NOT available with black from the factory. You could get a color-matched grille for Autumn-Bronze or Sherwood-Green, but NOT for black. Always thought that was kind of odd?? :looney:
Cheers!
Tom

RzeroB

Quote from: fc7cuda on September 20, 2017, 05:32:16 AM
The previous owner actually had 2 Hemicudas burn in the storage fire, it was local to me and he saved the twisted/warped shaker emblem.  It was sad to see.   :crying:

:o  OMG!! That's doubly tragic!! :'( 

Fortunately this black one (125185) was able to be salvaged ... how about the other one?? Was it a '71 also, or a '70?? Hope it wasn't a total loss. Any details you can share Tom?? Thanks!!
Cheers!
Tom

Cudakiller70

fc7cuda

Quote from: RzeroB on September 20, 2017, 01:59:26 PM
Quote from: fc7cuda on September 20, 2017, 05:32:16 AM

:o  OMG!! That's doubly tragic!! :'( 

Fortunately this black one (125185) was able to be salvaged ... how about the other one?? Was it a '71 also, or a '70?? Hope it wasn't a total loss. Any details you can share Tom?? Thanks!!

It was a 70, and I can find out more about it.  Maybe the VIN too.  Stand by.

RzeroB

September 23rd. One of the most well known and publicized '70 HemiCuda's had a scheduled production date of this day (923). Of course we're talking about the magazine road test car BS27R0B137968.

As a magazine road test car, Ma Mopar loaded this HemiCuda convertible up with all sorts of nice options to include: the A01 Light Group Pkg, A22 Elastomeric Bumper(s) Pkg, A32 Super Performance 4:10 geared Dana axle Pkg, A62 Rally Gauge Pkg, B51 Power Disc Brakes, C15 Deluxe Seat Belts, C16 Center Console, C62 Six-Way Driver's Seat, G36 Body Colored Sport Mirrors, P37 Power Top, and a R35 AM/FM radio among other things. This is an absolutely stunning car!

Unfortunately the car didn't impress some of the press and magazines who tested it and it was given mediocre reviews - almost ironic given the car's legendary status today. When this picture was taken the car was owned by Bill Wiemann as one of his "bookends" along with the last one made - the GW3 Sno-White 1971 HemiCuda convertible. Bill Wiemann no longer owns the cars as they are both now owned by The Brothers Collection (who are those guys??).

At least one magazine loved it and that was High Performance Cars. If you haven't seen it you're in luck as you don't have to look too far to find it. It's right here on E-bodies dot org where Cody has posted it up right here:  https://www.e-bodies.org/resources/plymouth_cuda_dodge_challenger_brochure_sale_ads/1970-plymouth-426-hemi-cuda-review-road-test-article/

The Brothers Collection now owns the car. Although The Brothers are enigmatic (who are those guys??), at least they like to show cars in their collection at shows and through their "Muscle Car of the Week" video series with Kevin Oeste. Here is the episode featuring this gorgeous convertible ...

Cheers!
Tom

71REDCUDA