Main Menu

Ratty Muscle Cars

Started by 303 Mopar, June 13, 2017, 07:47:00 AM

Previous topic Next topic

303 Mopar

I just watched the latest House of Muscle on MotorTrend.com. BTW it's $5 a month to join and well worth it. This episode focused on a couple guys just getting out and enjoying their ratty muscle cars, one of which was a Cuda. They even had a car show of all kinds of Muscle cars in various conditions but none were trailer queens or close to perfect. I feel that so many times many of us are worried about making our cars perfect, or a scratch or ding instead of just getting out and driving them. I'm guilty of this too and know every little ding and scratch on my cars. Some want a perfect 100 point restored car, others a driver, and others just a rusty ratty old car. Whatever your preference or bank account can afford or your skill set or whatever I just hope that everyone can get your cars out and drive and enjoy them!

Cuda Cody

Back in the day they were just cars.  I love seeing as many E-Bodies on the road as we can.   :banana:

Spikedog08

I just want a good looking driver . . . I want to drive them and enjoy every time I do.  The sound, the feel and comfort of the ebody gets my blood going!   

:stayinlane:
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

Rev-It-Up

Rev-It-Up

Shane Kelley

I have tried this a few times. Seems like there is always something that has to be addressed. Like back glass leaking or something like that. You pull the glass to reseal and then there's a hole. From that point I never can help myself and the car comes apart for partial restoration. Then I usually go overboard and do a full blown resto. I do have a 71 Road Runner that's mostly original but has a crappy paint job. I might try just painting it. If that's possible.  For now I drive it all the time and it's nice not having to worry about it.

Husk Challenger

Challenger 73' 383ci 4spd ---> SOLD
Challenger 71' 318 904 RT clone ---> Stroker 318/392 Tf 727!

Burdar

QuoteI just hope that everyone can get your cars out and drive and enjoy them!

There are also people who enjoy the build process but don't really enjoy driving them.

Cuda Cody

:iagree:  I enjoy driving them, but also enjoy building them.  That's a big part of the fun for me.   8)

dave73

I love seeing cars like this, especially mopar muscle. For anyone on instagram, there is an account named "Ratty Muscle Cars" that posts some pretty awesome rides of this type. I'm all for the cars that are being driven. I'd rather see a car being driven with a built drivetrain and crappy paint job then a project that the owner had to sell because they spent so much on the paint job they couldn't finish the car. Not everyone has unlimited funds and these types of rides let anyone get out into the hobby and enjoy themselves. Maybe I'm subjective because this speaks to the current state of my car but oh well

ec_co

thats why I'm only doing a partial restoration and cutting a few corners.  i want to drive the crap out of it as a decent daily driver. but to make it a daily it still needs @ $15k in work done to keep the water outside the car, lol.
Growing older is mandatory...growing up is optional.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

'70 Barracuda B5/B5 225 /6 3spd ... about as bare bones as they came

HP2

Sounds like most of my junk.

I've noticed that even having a ratty muscle car, and a '74 no less, people will still chase you down just  to talk about em and gawk at one on the road.

Burdar

QuoteI've noticed that even having a ratty muscle car, and a '74 no less, people will still chase you down just  to talk about em and gawk at one on the road.

:iagree:

You hear the phrase "E-body snob" thrown around sometimes.  They are the people who put down other body styles or even other E-bodies that aren't 70's or 71's.  These people don't represent the general public.  The general public doesn't know/care what years are more popular then others.  They just see a cool old car.

Shane Kelley

The other issue these days are ratty running cars are still higher than hell on price. Unless you just happen to be in the right place at the right time.

RUNCHARGER

I agree: It's nice to see any musclecar on the road. For me though I tell my self it will be okay to drive something not perfect. But then things kind of happen.
Sheldon

cuda hunter

I prefer ratty cars.  I currently have like a half dozen old rats that run.      And burn rubber.   

patina is awesome!
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee