Main Menu

Sacramento Raceway Closing

Started by 7212Mopar, June 26, 2017, 12:14:24 PM

Previous topic Next topic

7212Mopar

I was checking the track schedule and came across recent news that the owner is looking at selling the track. They listed the site for $11 millions and there is a nearby major home development going on. They don't think they can keep it running and meet the noise limit. This is sad news to say the least. The last track remaining in the SF Bay Area will be Sears Point (Sonoma Raceway). I am thinking to take my son to Sac Raceway this September where they will host the Mopar only Sunday race. My son has never been to the track and I want him to experience it before they close.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

Cuda Cody

HP_Cuda

Just great! Another great reason to leave this state.
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

JS29

:thumbdown: :bye: The people that complain about the noise,  will then complain when the revenue that the track brought in goes away and there taxes go up to make up for it!   :foul:

A.Gramz

I love these ppl that complain.   Tracks probally been there 40 years.  Did u not drive around the neighbourhood and see what was there.  Now it's the tracks fault for being too loud  :headbang:  I worked somewhere this happened  were forced to build a noise wall and only allowed to operate certain hours.  The city shouldn't allow house be built that close if the noise level is too high. Don't punish the business. Ok rant over.   

1 Wild R/T

53 years.... 

Because of County restrictions concerning noise, curfews and traffic congestion, The current schedule of events only allows the racetrack to hold Wednesday night muffled street legal fun drags, bimonthly Friday Night Supercross, Saturday nite stock car racing, and Saturday/Sunday Drag races at the Highlite events, featuring Jets, Funny cars, Wheelstanders etc.

Northern California Automotive related businesses that rely on Sacramento Raceway Motorsports Park for their income include; high performance engine shops, custom paint businesses, carburetor tune up shops, race car fabricators, and many others With a total economic impact of $25,000,000 a year.

Sacramento Raceway contributes over $50,000 each year to local schools, sports organizations, churches and fundraisers.

In the past 30 years there have been at least four big budget attempts to open new tracks in the Central Valley.... Every one has been blocked with EPA & Environmental blockades... Investors spend hundreds of thousands of dollars to do the required environmental studies & even though nothing of concern is found the next road block is demanding a further more in depth environmental study....   One of the proposed locations was an old airbase, it's on the EPA Superfund list, which clearly funding doesn't exist to clean up.. The developers were willing to do the needed clean up... Nope.. Blocked....

20 years ago I thought there was a fair chance the facility at Castle AFB would happen, I started building a car to go play.. Well thats never gonna happen....

jimynick

Maybe, with luck, the recent management change at the EPA, it might be more amenable to reality than it's previous Stalinist leadership. You can only hope.  :fingerscrossed:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

Chryco Psycho

Quote from: A.Gramz on June 26, 2017, 07:00:15 PM
I love these ppl that complain.   Tracks probally been there 40 years.  Did u not drive around the neighbourhood and see what was there.  Now it's the tracks fault for being too loud  :headbang:  I worked somewhere this happened  were forced to build a noise wall and only allowed to operate certain hours.  The city shouldn't allow house be built that close if the noise level is too high. Don't punish the business. Ok rant over.
:iagree: Build tracks in or near industrial parks , they operate on different hours , the buildings block the sound & don't annoy anyone .
if the track was there first zone commercial around the track Not residential .
Don't even get me started on the EPA
:bricks:

Topcat

Quote from: HP_Cuda on June 26, 2017, 02:05:28 PM

Just great! Another great reason to leave this state.

:iagree:

KB Homes no doubt is the culprit behind this.

Krappy Built.   :alan2cents:

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: jimynick on June 26, 2017, 07:39:43 PM
Maybe, with luck, the recent management change at the EPA, it might be more amenable to reality than it's previous Stalinist leadership. You can only hope.  :fingerscrossed:

Problem is this is California... We have CalEPA that is way past next level....  :pullinghair:

cudajunction

Cal EPA shut down one of my favorite junk yards in Redding, CA Gustafson's.  He was a good guy, fought the good fight, and when he was levied with hundreds of thousands of dollars of fines, fees and penalties, he crushed and closed it down.

So now his acreage is a vacant lot, near I-5, parks, trails and Cottonwood Creek and the ever booming housing situation in Redding, CA.

The environmentalist and developer lobby is well funded, and know what to do to get prime property.

7212Mopar

Sacramento Raceway is situated in a rural industrial farming areas, not much of a residential areas by any means.  I think Mather AFB is nearby so all BS about noise. It is the greedy politicians in the State Capital. There is a petition going on to keep the track for as long as possible but will be a tough one to beat.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

1 Wild R/T

Mather closed in 93... There are houses less than 1/4 mile away across Excelsior Road 

HP_Cuda

Ironic that this is exactly what happened to Baylands raceway. Back in the day there was plenty of land around the Fremont/Union city area and not a worry in the World. Well inject some greedy City Council members and nice big developers and guess what - "That raceway is too loud for my NIMBY neighborhood"

Here's another funny one, when you want your City Council members to do a study to find out the affects of say putting a freakin massive spaceship (new Apple campus) in your backyard they all disappear. This place will end up being Beijing or downtown Tokyo - so jammed packed with people the quality of life is drop pretty hard.

It's a rinse and repeat situation in CA.
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200