Main Menu

videos of production line ??

Started by cuda hunter, September 19, 2017, 08:21:36 AM

Previous topic Next topic

cuda hunter

Are there any videos of the production lines for the ebodies?   I've seen all kind of videos for chevy and ford, and older cars of course.
But I'm wondering if there are any videos of assembly lines in 70 and 71.   

This comes from the trunk panel undercoating thread.  Wild r/t said that the undercoating went on the quarter panels before they were even installed on the car.  Would love to see video of all that going on. 

Anything out there?
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

Burdar

I've never seen any.  I've never even seen any pictures of E-bodies going down the line.  There are some pictures of A and B bodies on the line though.

QuoteWild r/t said that the undercoating went on the quarter panels before they were even installed on the car.

This is correct.  On Moparts, in a restoration thread, someone removed their original quarters and posted the undercoating spray pattern on the inside.  You would never be able to get coverage all the way down to the bottom if it was done after the body was assembled.

Here is a picture from RestoRick's website showing the spray pattern on the 1/4 before installation.
http://www.restorick.com/Resto/images/70ChallengerOrange08.jpg

cuda hunter

I'm quite surprised no video is known to exist. 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: cuda hunter on September 19, 2017, 08:21:36 AM
Are there any videos of the production lines for the ebodies?   I've seen all kind of videos for chevy and ford, and older cars of course.
But I'm wondering if there are any videos of assembly lines in 70 and 71.   

This comes from the trunk panel undercoating thread.  Wild r/t said that the undercoating went on the quarter panels before they were even installed on the car.  Would love to see video of all that going on. 

Anything out there?

Hey!! If your gonna talk about me try to spell my name right... :pokeeye: :pokeeye:

There's undercoating on areas of the quarter that would be very hard to access & yet the spray pattern is very consistent so the gun was held straight to the panel & there's no overspray on the outer wheel house.... Couldn't do that with the panel on the car....

cuda hunter

[/quote]

Hey!! If your gonna talk about me try to spell my name right... :pokeeye: :pokeeye:

[/quote]

I wondered if you would notice that.   

cuda hunter

I"m just really curious to see the whole assembly line.  Start to Finish. 

Thanks for the info on the trunk undercoating.  Gonna have to take a look on my undercoated car......

1 Wild R/T

They undercoat inside the trunk on all cars, not just undercoated cars... Sound deadening...

anlauto

Most assembly plants don't even allow cameras inside so I doubt you'll find videos.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Burdar

How cool would it be if one of those engine/suspension/rear axle carts the factory used during "body drop" would have survived?  That would make a really awesome display!  There are probably enough pictures of them on the A and B lines for someone to make one.

cataclysm80

Yep, quarter panel sound deadener applied before the panel was installed.

There may not be videos, but there's some pretty thorough written descriptions put together by the Winged Warriors from interviewing line workers.

303 Mopar

I found this video of the new Challengers being assembled back in 2010.  Check out the 4:00 minute mark, still doing it old school!   :bravo:

cuda hunter

That was cool.  Thanks.

I have but one piece that came from 17630