Main Menu

Anyone have a review on this ? Poor mans efi?

Started by Brads70, February 17, 2018, 05:52:19 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Brads70

Never seen it before, I have a buddy with a 71 Hemi Cuda that has hard starting issues after sitting . Wonder if this would help?  I'm thinking it's a cool idea but to expensive. For not to much more you could get into some of the throttle body style efi systems?

https://www.knfilters.com/eci

Marc70challenger

In theory it seems like a neat idea. But it's really only one mode (lean) and like you said you're half way there to full TBI cost

Why is it so hard to start to begin with after sitting ?  Does he have mechanical or electric fuel pump?

Brads70

Quote from: Marc70challenger on February 17, 2018, 07:08:12 AM
In theory it seems like a neat idea. But it's really only one mode (lean) and like you said you're half way there to full TBI cost

Why is it so hard to start to begin with after sitting ?  Does he have mechanical or electric fuel pump?

Mechanical fuel pump, dual 4bbl ( original carbs) Seems the fuel dries up as it sits a lot, so you have to crank and crank and crank to start it after it's sit awhile ( week or more?) Also has a shaker so it's a real pain in the butt to spray some fuel down the carbs.....

HEMICUDA

My hemi Cuda had the same issue and that car is one of the easiest cars I have to start once it sees fuel.  Gas can slowly be siphoned from the carb bowls back to the tank over time.  Try one of these.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-8-10mm-Inline-Check-Valve-Fuel-Diesel-Liquid-Air-One-Way-Non-Return/162363795317?hash=item25cda2e775:g:5EQAAOSwImRYVbQQ:sc:USPSFirstClass!44253!US!-1&vxp=mtr

Brads70

Quote from: HEMICUDA on February 17, 2018, 07:23:32 AM
My hemi Cuda had the same issue and that car is one of the easiest cars I have to start once it sees fuel.  Gas can slowly be siphoned from the carb bowls back to the tank over time.  Try one of these.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-8-10mm-Inline-Check-Valve-Fuel-Diesel-Liquid-Air-One-Way-Non-Return/162363795317?hash=item25cda2e775:g:5EQAAOSwImRYVbQQ:sc:USPSFirstClass!44253!US!-1&vxp=mtr

:bradsthumb:  I'll send him a link. Great idea, so simple and cheap too!
Thanks for mentioning it!   :D

RUNCHARGER

I really don't see the point. Not a lot of extra work to just add EFI and be happy. EFI has more benefits than just starting as well, it is much easier to tune. I think currently about the only benefit of carbs is the original appearance.
Sheldon

Marc70challenger

Quote from: Brads70 on February 17, 2018, 07:12:39 AM
Quote from: Marc70challenger on February 17, 2018, 07:08:12 AM

Mechanical fuel pump, dual 4bbl ( original carbs) Seems the fuel dries up as it sits a lot, so you have to crank and crank and crank to start it after it's sit awhile ( week or more?) Also has a shaker so it's a real pain in the butt to spray some fuel down the carbs.....

Ya. That's the problem.

That check valve would certainly help that HC gave for reasons he pointed out.

But also. Gas evaporates at pretty high rate. With ethanol (even the 10% they force us to buy now) it's even higher.   

I guess it depends how long it sits.  Between where check valve will help and where it's been so long evaporation has remove too much.

Just get an electric pump and true FI. Be done with it.   :yes:   :cooldance:

jimynick

My Dad's old '55 Desoto hemi had the same issue and he put a small, hidden in the frame rail electric pump with a wee toggle switch under the dash. Get in, turn on the key, flick the toggle switch, listen to it click until the carb is full, turn off the pump, kick it a couple of times and hit the starter- bang, she's running. No muss, no fuss......... :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

70chall440

Exactly the reason I pulled off my 6 pack; was a PIA to start if it sat for any length of time (like over a week). I had an electric "helper" on it for awhile and while that helped get fuel from the tank up, it didn't help what the ethanol was doing to the carbs. I installed a 6 pack EFI system and am FAR more happy than before. Car starts and runs better than it ever has. If I can help it I will never own another carb laden vehicle, I even put a Fitech EFI system on my 52 pickup (with 56 Desoto hemi). Once you get an understanding of the system, it is SO much easier to adjust/tune.
Mopar or no car!!!