Main Menu

The Reproduction Part Test Garage

Started by kawahonda, September 27, 2018, 07:01:21 PM

Previous topic Next topic

kawahonda

Had my first crappy aftermarket product today.

I ordered the reproduction console lid. For $79, you'd expect something pretty good.

1) there were scratches on the inner console lid panel. Almost like screwdriver marring.
2) the holes for the latch were sloppy. I had to drill them out more. The hole for the retaining wire wasn't drilled out at all.
3) the fasteners were not close to stock. Some came with washers. Using the original fasteners didn't always work...many too short.
4) the fitment wasn't much better than what I had, so I threw it back in the box and it's about to go in the trash.
5) they actually provide you screws that if you tighten it too much, it deforms the other side. My god.

What a crap part. The stock part was a crap part , but this just takes the cake. I think I will be looking for a console lid that's OEM now and will create a Frankenstein console lid that fits correctly.

My experiences with aftermarket parts otherwise has been pretty excellent.

OEM brand front trim molding for the hood was very excellent. Perfect fit and look. Worked with stock fasteners.

Reproduction fuel filter was dead on.

Aftermarket race fuel door was pretty good in fit and finish. Real good.

Reproduction heater hoses were most excellent.

Reproduction AMD front windshield was perfect in fit and color tinting. The Chrysler etching was dead on.

Reproduction windshield washer tank was most excellent.

Reproduction trunk mat was super nice.

The console lid I swear is the crumiest part on the eBodies both stock and aftermarket.
1970 Dodge Challenger A66

Topcat

Where'd ya buy it from?

Tony's Parts I heard were pretty good.

1 Wild R/T

"Reproduction trunk mat was super nice."

Clearly you've never handled an original...  Or even an old obsolete MCO reproduction...

kawahonda

Quote from: Topcat on September 27, 2018, 07:11:16 PM
Where'd ya buy it from?

Tony's Parts I heard were pretty good.

Classic industries. I'm fairly sure it's the same exact part.  Doubtful there are multiple reproductions. They look identical in the product images and are priced the same. This one even came with the "authentic mopar restoration" which is more often than not a good sign, but nope...

kawahonda

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on September 27, 2018, 07:13:02 PM

Clearly you've never handled an original...  Or even an old obsolete MCO reproduction...

Your point? Very happy with Dante's mats. Have you handled one of them? Thick, conforms, no wrinkles, covers what it should, and hardly any trimming needed.

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: kawahonda on September 27, 2018, 07:15:32 PM
Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on September 27, 2018, 07:13:02 PM

Your point? Very happy with Dante's mats. Have you handled one of them?

Yes, I have... My point is while the current trunk mats serve a purpose they aren't even close to the original.... 

Hoping Jim Filmore decides to enter the market with an option.... His stuff is always top notch...

JH27N0B

Where did you find a nice trunk mat?  The last good repro one I saw on the market hasn't been sold in over 25 years. 
I had a repro exhaust clamp I paid $15 a piece for snap like a twig when I tried to tighten it up.
I also had a repro rear shackle snap while we tightened it.
I have AMD glass in my car.  The windshield isn't bad but the side and rear glass give me a headache when I look at it.  I'm having the original side and rear glass polished now and can't wait until the repro is just a bad memory!
For the most part I like most of the repro parts I've used though.

kawahonda

My preference is not necessarily what is just like the original in every way possible, but what is a quality, well machined, and well produced part that can be argued better or just as good than the original that fits and looks like it's right at home.

Stay away from the console lid. It fails those metrics in all way possible.

Believe me, I'm a picky person if you've seen my work...

Shawn

Yea, some reproduction parts are acceptable. Most of it is garbage, but it is getting better.  :fingerscrossed:

RUNCHARGER

I use original parts if at all possible. I've thrown out quite a few garbage cans of repro stuff.
Sheldon

Chryco Psycho

Buy through Roseville & he will let you know if the parts are substandard

GY3R/T

Yep.... I'm very cautious of repro parts. I call vendor and ask questions,  iv'e sent parts back and made the vendor pay return shipping.

nsmall

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on September 27, 2018, 08:02:41 PM
Buy through Roseville & he will let you know if the parts are substandard

:iagree:  Dave has been nothing but a pleasure to work with and knows his vendors.

nsmall

For whats it worth I bought a new spring from Roseville as my "repro" lid didnt fit well either.  The new spring helped the lid fit better.

kawahonda

Is it worth getting a 70 spring? I hear 71 and above springs were softer and didn't tweak things so damn much.

Assume you mean hinge.