Main Menu

The Reproduction Part Test Garage

Started by kawahonda, September 27, 2018, 07:01:21 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Cuda_mark

Quote from: JH27N0B on September 27, 2018, 07:19:50 PM
Where did you find a nice trunk mat?  The last good repro one I saw on the market hasn't been sold in over 25 years. 
I had a repro exhaust clamp I paid $15 a piece for snap like a twig when I tried to tighten it up.
I also had a repro rear shackle snap while we tightened it.
I have AMD glass in my car.  The windshield isn't bad but the side and rear glass give me a headache when I look at it.  I'm having the original side and rear glass polished now and can't wait until the repro is just a bad memory!
For the most part I like most of the repro parts I've used though.
@JH27N0B Where are you having the glass polished? I've thought about doing that to my vert rear quarter glass but I've heard that it's next to impossible to get good results.

Also, is the glass you're polishing clear or tinted and does that make a difference when polishing?

JS29

I got A new console lid from tony's last year, I did have to make A small piece for the button to screw to but other than that I was pleased with the product.

anlauto

I've used several of @TONY 's complete consoles with great results. The lids close nicer on them then most factory consoles. I've never tried just the lid.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Plumcrazy72

I got a AMD rear valance, the licence plate bracket is on about a 10 degree angle. Looks pretty awesome. and unfortunately I already had it painted before i noticed it. Emailed them multiple times with no response. I guess some are good and some aren't, even when spending good hard earned money. Sucks but its true
1972 340 PCP
2015 Dodge Journey Crossroad
2020 Ram Rebel

HP2

Yea, you've been lucky. I've been dealing with, fixing up, and working around crap parts since the 1980s.

GoodysGotaCuda

Only one bad aftermarket part is doing pretty well!

Injection molding isn't the easiest thing to control without pretty substantial tooling in place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

303 Mopar

I have not had good experience with YO or CL. I call Dave first every time.  :banana:

kawahonda

Yea, I'm doing pretty well with reproduction stuff for eBodies so far. Maybe I got all the good stuff?

I ordered Dynacorn 1/4 extension moldings just a little bit earlier. I will report back on fit and finish.

Totally agree that plastic injection, unless you got some serious dollars in tooling and quality control, it will be never be as good as the stock part!

If anyone has any console lids sitting around, let me know. The recovered seats will be done soon, and the console lid fit/finish is the next biggest eye sore.
1970 Dodge Challenger A66

Lemontwist

I've had ok success with repo parts, I had an issue with the AMD rear Cuda seat floor.  The holes where the center seat belt bolts go through were big enough to drive a truck through. Same issue with the rally hood bolts to springs.  WAY TOO BIG. You'd think they could at least get that right.
Drew

JH27N0B

Quote from: Cuda_mark on September 28, 2018, 05:53:40 AM
Quote from: JH27N0B on September 27, 2018, 07:19:50 PM
@JH27N0B Where are you having the glass polished? I've thought about doing that to my vert rear quarter glass but I've heard that it's next to impossible to get good results.
Also, is the glass you're polishing clear or tinted and does that make a difference when polishing?
A shop I'm using in Indiana has someone who comes in and does glass polishing.
I'll report back when I see the results.
The shop in IL  that finished the bodywork and painted my car had an engineer in MI who did glass polishing as a sideline.  He'd developed a technique with some sort of 2 part epoxy he'd fill the low points created when he'd polish.  He charged by the hour and a Superbird in the shop when my car was there supposedly had run up a $3000 glass polishing bill with the guy in MI!  It looked great though.

realn96

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on September 27, 2018, 08:02:41 PM
Buy through Roseville & he will let you know if the parts are substandard

Just make sure you ask him first. Or else he will sell you crap parts like many other venders. Don't  assume he will let you know before hand!  :alan2cents:

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

realn96

Quote from: anlauto on September 30, 2018, 05:14:15 AM
Ouch ! :pokeeye:

I don't mean to throw stones , But now a days you really need to ask questions first. I am sure we are all guilty of buying first and assuming the part will be ' decent 'or 'good'. that's what theses forums are for. And I have gotten parts I wasn't happy with.

Brads70

I didn't have any luck/ not happy with repop rear bumper and tail light chrome bezels on my 70 Challenger. I don't consider myself real picky either....

RUNCHARGER

Being a retailer for this stuff is a tough gig. You don't make the parts but everybody that buys them blames the retailer if they are substandard. As a retailer when you get feedback you pass it on as much as you can. I can tell you the retailer loses a ton of money eating the shipping and a lot of the time the cost of the parts. It isn't worth the trouble to return everything. All you can do is pass the feedback on to the supplier and they don't always listen.
Sheldon