Main Menu

Rock Auto; Whiskey, Tango, Foxtrot ?

Started by HP2, November 24, 2019, 01:13:50 PM

Previous topic Next topic

HP2

Just recently tried purchasing some parts from Rock Auto and when I got to the check out, had a pop up that said because they do not have a location in my state to collect sales tax, they cannot complete my transaction. What?!?!? Isn't the primary purpose of an ONLINE retailer to sell to places outside of your immediate vicinity? Thinking this was a glitch I tried the following day with the same results. So, it appears that Rock Auto has decided the 5.6 million residents of Colorado are not worth selling parts to.  If they need to collect sales tax, I'm sure there  are software programs out there that can track and collect all that with out creating a whole department, but that is just my perception.

While a bit of a bummer, I suppose it isn't a huge loss overall.  My last few purchases I noticed the widely varied warehouse locations made shipping so expensive that often times my local brick and mortar stores were within a few bucks and I could pick it up that day. So over all, I'm probably not loosing out on much.

cuda hunter

shipping to this state is ridiculous. 
That's really too bad about Rockauto.  I wonder if there are other states that share this problem. 

"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

torredcuda

Some guys seem to love them but as you said I can usually get the same parts within a day and within a few dollars rather than pay shipping and wait 3-7 days, and returns are a hassle.
Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

cuda hunter

"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

ec_co

I noticed it over a year ago too (also CO). completely agree .... kinda odd in 2019 to not be able to use a tax-table service that automatically does it for you and just exclude entire regions because you can't figure it out
Growing older is mandatory...growing up is optional.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

'70 Barracuda B5/B5 225 /6 3spd ... about as bare bones as they came

cuda hunter

Quote from: ec_co on November 24, 2019, 03:06:00 PM
I noticed it over a year ago too (also CO). completely agree .... kinda odd in 2019 to not be able to use a tax-table service that automatically does it for you and just exclude entire regions because you can't figure it out

seems like it would be an enormous loss of profit.  Especially for our even more remote sister states. 

RockAuto

Quote from: anlauto on November 24, 2019, 02:02:19 PM
Maybe @RockAuto can explain  :dunno:

Hello,
We are sorry that we are not able to serve some of our customers in Colorado at this time. Colorado is the only state where we have had to limit shipping since some of the "home rule" tax laws make compliance very cumbersome/impossible. We simply to not have the man-power to file 72 different tax returns for a single state and do not want to break any tax laws.
We are working very had to remedy this issue though!
Thank You,
RockAuto.com

anlauto

Thank you for joining the conversation  :cheers:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

cuda hunter

Quote from: RockAuto on November 25, 2019, 07:39:11 AM

Hello,
We are sorry that we are not able to serve some of our customers in Colorado at this time. Colorado is the only state where we have had to limit shipping since some of the "home rule" tax laws make compliance very cumbersome/impossible. We simply to not have the man-power to file 72 different tax returns for a single state and do not want to break any tax laws.
Thank You,
RockAuto.com

Sounds reasonable.

JpRngr

So, is this just parts of the state or something new? I've ordered (and received) parts from them in the last month or two.

Chryco Psycho

There is probably a tax exemption under a given $$ amount

Scooter

Quote from: RockAuto on November 25, 2019, 07:39:11 AM

Hello,
Thank You,
RockAuto.com

Central planning at it's finest... good chance CA will not be far behind.. they just cannot stand to be outdone on the stupid.  ::)

Thanks for the reply Rock!

-Scoot

HP2

Thank you for the feedback. Looks like I just have to wait for things to resolved on the supplier side for collection and distribution of sales tax.

While CO as a whole is a "home rule" taxation  state, there also are 70 differing sets of home rules within this over-arching state rule. As pointed out, some others in this thread have recently purchased  from Rock Auto.  I'm in the Colo Spgs area, so maybe its just a matter of time before the tax assessments are figured out for my area.

anlauto

Isn't it great when your Government makes it difficult for an American company to sell their products to American people  :crazytalk: