Main Menu

1970 Barracuda Gran Coupe survivor - $10500. not mine found on craig

Started by dodgemania, July 22, 2018, 11:13:18 PM

Previous topic Next topic

dodgemania

Offered for sale is a 1970 Barracuda Gran Coupe. This is a house garage find. (not barn) It was running when pulled in the garage 15-18 years ago after hitting a frozen snow pile and damaging the front grill pieces. I have transferred the NJ title to my name and had hopes of maybe restoring it or just make it road worthy with new gas tank, brakes, etc. I would take it to cruise-nights as a survivor. However, I have other cars that need my attention more. I got it running through the fuel pump sucking from a bottle of gas. Amazingly, it does not smoke with the 73,300 miles on it. I was able to move the car around my yard (no brakes) to try the trans and make sure odometer works. Trans seems to be ok and odom turns as well. The Vin # is as follows: BP23G0B373278. The B of course is Barracuda. The P is for premium package. Now, when people ordered the premium package they usually got an automatic trans. This car was ordered with the 3-speed manual floor shift. They only produced 170 of the 3-speed floor shifters in the Gran Coupe in 1970. I guess the buyer wanted luxury and be sporty at the same time. I have found the original build-sheet tucked under the springs of the rear seat and shows all the many options.
This is an all numbers matching car! 318 motor 3-speed on the floor
Overhead consolette w/ 3 warning indicator lights
A.C.
Power Steering
AM/FM radio
Woodgrain gauge cluster
Remote side view mirror
Seat belts
Heated rear window heater/defroster
Etc. Etc. Etc.
The color is B5 blue
OK, it looks like the previous owner drove it for many years before parking it in his garage.
It does show the typical Mopar rust. Through my diligent search for information on 1970 Barracudas, I have found several examples of the same areas of rust on so many others. Some are total rust jobs with giant holes by the rear glass. This car has a few 1/8 holes that did leak into the back-floor pans under the seat. To do it right the rear pans (under the seat but not your feet) need to be replaced. Also, the front drivers side floor. See pic. The other three sections of the floor look fine. Funny thing is, the rocker panels look solid. Maybe, because car was originally under coated. There are several companies that supply replacement sheet metal for these cars. I believe this car is worthy of restoration, and or, just drive it while slowly improving it. Survivor cars get much of the attention at the local cruise nights and car shows these days. I would like to sell it locally. ASKING $10,500.
NOTE: If you are reading this ad then they are still available!
https://newjersey.craigslist.org/cto/d/1970-barracuda-gran-coupe/6650275340.html

xx88man

Would need inspection but might not be a bad project for the price.
Keep yer foot in it

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

DodgeGuy

OK, I'm going to look like an idiot here, but what exactly does the term "survivor" mean in the context of these old cars?  I've seen that term used on all kinds of classics.

I'm guessing maybe it refers to a car that is pretty much still the way it was when it rolled off the factory floor (not necessarily in as good of shape, it just means it hasn't been modified and/or restored to any degree?)
1974 Dodge Challenger Rallye
360 4Barrel HP
Factory 4-Speed

RUNCHARGER

I ignore the term "survivor" these days, just like barn find etc. It originally was coined by Corvette guys and meant an untouched car with all it's original components and 65% or so of it's original paint. Now the abuse of the term pretty much means any car that hasn't been recycled into tuna cans.
Sheldon

DodgeGuy

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on July 23, 2018, 09:53:07 AM
I ignore the term "survivor" these days, just like barn find etc. It originally was coined by Corvette guys and meant an untouched car with all it's original components and 65% or so of it's original paint. Now the abuse of the term pretty much means any car that hasn't been recycled into tuna cans.

Hence my confusion, because I would see that term used so much on so many cars in so many different conditions that the only common denominator I could figure out was being an old car...lol.
1974 Dodge Challenger Rallye
360 4Barrel HP
Factory 4-Speed

72 Challenger

The term is abused. It could have lived right beside the Titanic and still be considered a survivor in today's terms.

In this context, I think it means hasn't been modified and remains as it left the factory.
Someday I will have a J0b.

ledphoot

Definitely an overused term... Technically my restomod is a "survivor" cause it's nearly 50 years old and hasn't been recycled.

NWOBHM