Main Menu

1970 BS23 Cuda 340/4 speed - Ebay

Started by Chippa, April 15, 2017, 06:12:01 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Chippa

Guys and gals,

In my pursuit to learn and build up my knowledge bank i wanted to share another vehicle for the well versed to comment on.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-Plymouth-Barracuda-Cuda-340-4-Barrel-4-Speed-76-556-Original-Miles-/332176273170?hash=item4d573faf12:g:YZgAAOSw9GhYjKZH&vxp=mtr&autorefresh=true

Asking price is 55k....i put in an offer of less than half that to see what they come back with...and will be asking for the usual pics of fender/dash/and body vins...they are stating matching # car so would expect pic of engine id and 4 speed?

My observations....although not much

- Car presents nicely but underside pics show me that suspension is more than likely old.
- its a drum brake car with no power assist
- points ignition ?
- No wiper washer reservoir bottle

Any feedback appreciated.....happy Easter  :australia:

anlauto

Car is worth around the $40K range. Depends a lot on the documentation. It's weird to see that interior in a Cuda :huh:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Cuda Cody

:iagree:  My buddy sold one like it last year that restored to a high level and it was less then that one on ebay.

With the over-spray on the door catch latch, screws, missing dash knobs, broken fuel gauge, missing washer bottle, 2 speed wiper motor (so the dash most likely has been replaced) and lots of other things I would avoid that car.  The one thing that worries me the most is it looks to have a 1971 Cowl in it.  The 1970 Cowls has screws for the vent covers, but the one in the auction appears to have the 1971+ up push in type.   :o  I would be very curious to see if the body VIN numbers match.   :clueless:

Chippa

Quote from: anlauto on April 15, 2017, 07:46:38 AM
Car is worth around the $40K range. Depends a lot on the documentation. It's weird to see that interior in a Cuda :huh:
Ok thx anlauto for the feedback...worth alot more than i anticipated.....i guess i would need to see the fender tag to see options...im trying to learn the tell tale signs of whether or not its a low optioned car or what std  specs would be...
Cheers A

1 Wild R/T

Their detailer likes his vinyl dressing....

Door latches are painted
Fuel gauge needle is missing
Why no photos of the headliner?
Eagle ST's have been out of production for over twenty years..
Missing both adjusters from the rally cluster....  Looks like the dash needs a through looking over..

Read the add... It clearly states  "Original Numbers Matching 4-Speed Transmission"  it doesn't say the engine matches...

1970 Plymouth Cuda` 340

76,556 Original Miles! Title reads Actual!

Original Numbers Matching 4-Speed Transmission

Pistol Grip Shifter

1 of 2,372 Produced with a 340 4-Barrel

Original Vitamin C Orange Paint Color

Rallye Dash w/ Tachometer

Special Option Gran Coupe Interior w/ Overhead Console

Receipts for all Work Done!

Runs & Drives Great!

Test Drive Video available upon request!

cudajunction

Vinyl dressing must be sold by the 55 gallon barrel to this dealer.

The car presents nicely, but having seen some Florida cars rot from the top and bottom, I would be highly suspect on this one.  And the price seems ambitious.

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: Cuda Cody on April 15, 2017, 08:06:23 AM
:iagree:  My buddy sold one like it last year that restored to a high level and it was less then that one on ebay.

With the over-spray on the door catch latch, screws, missing dash knobs, broken fuel gauge, missing washer bottle, 2 speed wiper motor (so the dash most likely has been replaced) and lots of other things I would avoid that car.  The one thing that worries me the most is it looks to have a 1971 Cowl in it.  The 1970 Cowls has screws for the vent covers, but the one in the auction appears to have the 1971+ up push in type.   :o  I would be very curious to see if the body VIN numbers match.   :clueless:

Good catch on the cowl screen it is the snap on type, but it looks like he might be using a few screws through it... Maybe...  And the wipers, another red flag, plus no fender tag... At the asking price I'd expect to see a tag...

JS29

If it had the premium leather option or gran coupe interior, than shouldn't it have the wood grain inserts in the door and quarter trim panels?

Cuda Cody

I think if someone looked that car over good they will find a lot of things done that will make us scratch our heads.   :huh:  The first thing I would ask is for a photo of the body VIN's.   :alan2cents:

Quote from: JS29 on April 15, 2017, 10:34:42 AM
If it had the premium leather option or gran coupe interior, than shouldn't it have the wood grain inserts in the door and quarter trim panels?

71GranCoupe

I can add a couple---

Missing door bumper, driver side
Cowl is not blacked out
Trunk light bracket screw painted orange

and with all the other comments, sure looks like there was a sale on lipstick  :crazytalk:

TheGanzman

Please allow myself to introduce myself - 61 years old; no stranger to muscle cars, having built/restored 23 vehicles from the ground up so far.  COMPLETE stranger to Mopar muscle cars, however.  This car has caught and retained my eye for awhile now - I called and spoke to both listed principals at length today.  Here's what I learned; to wit:
- They OWN the car, it is not a consignment.
- Engine is a replacement, so engine is not original to the car, although still a 340.
- No fender tag, no Broadcast sheet.

I believe that "the $ number" for this car is mid-$40's, in that THAT is what it's going to take to buy it.  I'm hot in the tubes for a Vitamin C '70 'Cuda 4 speed car, but I believe I will be passing on this one.  I'm not gonna pass judgement on it one way or the other; I'm not knowledgeable enough in the marque to do so.  I'm just passing this information on in my 1st post here "for what it's worth"...

Thanks and a tip of the hat to those of you here who know FAR more than *I* do; I look forward to your help moving forward!

RUNCHARGER

Not a $40k car. Dude couldn't even afford a proper antennae or correct valve covers. All black spraybombed underneath.
Sheldon

Cuda Cody

Thank you @TheGanzman  for the update.  You found the right place for information.   :bigthumb:  Lots of very knowledgeable people on here that are more then happy to help you if youhave any questions about an E-Body you might be looking at.  I know exactly what you are going through looking for an Orange E-Body.  By far one of the best colors on a muscle car.   :yes:   :inlove:

Quote from: TheGanzman on June 06, 2017, 07:33:03 PM
Please allow myself to introduce myself - 61 years old; no stranger to muscle cars, having built/restored 23 vehicles from the ground up so far.  COMPLETE stranger to Mopar muscle cars, however.  This car has caught and retained my eye for awhile now - I called and spoke to both listed principals at length today.  Here's what I learned; to wit:
- They OWN the car, it is not a consignment.
- Engine is a replacement, so engine is not original to the car, although still a 340.
- No fender tag, no Broadcast sheet.

I believe that "the $ number" for this car is mid-$40's, in that THAT is what it's going to take to buy it.  I'm hot in the tubes for a Vitamin C '70 'Cuda 4 speed car, but I believe I will be passing on this one.  I'm not gonna pass judgement on it one way or the other; I'm not knowledgeable enough in the marque to do so.  I'm just passing this information on in my 1st post here "for what it's worth"...

Thanks and a tip of the hat to those of you here who know FAR more than *I* do; I look forward to your help moving forward!