Main Menu

1970 Dodge Challenger Convertible Red!

Started by MasonDaniel7, September 25, 2020, 12:58:30 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Fastmark

Wow, talk about a perfumed pig. This car was just listed recently on Moparts for $18,000. He had another Challenger for sale as well as some more cars. Looks like he was bailing on everything he  had. Car was sold out of Missouri. Looks like a flipper dealer got it in Texas. I will give the dealer credit that he showed all the pictures of the rust underneath. I don't think the poor car can be saved. I'm not sure it needs to be. I can't see the vin numbers on the core support but I wonder why it appears that the core support is green and the fender tag is a red car. Door vin sticker seems legit and red underneath. Love those oem pop rivers on the dash vin tag!  :Thud: That almost as wonderful as the seats. They were blue and torn  up. Now they are died red and torn up. Lol!

Crocha617

Yeah I saw that one listed on facebook for $18,000 and asked for pictures of the underside and never got them. I'm so glad I didn't make a deal on it. That thing is toast.

RUNCHARGER

Liquid rebuild. The outside is dishonest but I have to give credit to the seller for posting the undercarriage photos in the ad. If you get boned after buying it from that ebay ad it's your own fault.
Sheldon

6bblgt

C_B5

If all the numbers, fender tags, door VIN stickers are original to the car, this is a good example to investigate the "build date - differences".

The fender tag shows build date of "923" = Sept 23, 1969 which is fairly early but the door sticker has 10-69 (October). Have to wonder when in Oct the car was built / shipped, early or later in the month.

Nevertheless, a unique car with FE5 red and matching H6EW; red & white interior. With a total production of only 378 slant 6 challenger convertibles built probably not many with that combo.

70rag383

Costly restoration and I think it should be saved because it's a convertible.  the asking price of $29K or $18K is way too high. 

C_B5

Quote from: 6bblgt on September 25, 2020, 08:03:35 AM
& the fender tag is FAKE  :foul:

Dan,
We must've been replying at the same time & my post went in after yours.
That's what I was questioning about in my post the discrepancy in build dates.

anlauto

Why would anybody bother making a "FAKE" fender tag for this car ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

erik70rt

I think it should be saved as well.  But I have a soft spot for the /6 convertibles.  I would love to have another.

Yeah - they need to put down the crack pipe for that asking price. 

Contrary to the opinions of some, I am not dumber than I look.

318Stroker

Quote from: anlauto on September 25, 2020, 09:06:03 AM
Why would anybody bother making a "FAKE" fender tag for this car ?

My thoughts exactly. A slanty 3-speed isn't going to rock the value charts.

6bblgt

unlike the Plymouth E-bodies - the white seat & colored (red/blue/green) dash/carpet interiors were NOT available in a Dodge E-body  :stop:

Fastmark

Why fake a 6 cly vert? Come on Dan. Tell us what's wrong. Could it be a factory mistake? Was it green at one time? You've been doing this long enough. You have it on an old record?

anlauto

Dan does not like the excuse of a "factory mistake" :stop:

We all know that quality was a priority back then  :crazytalk:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

C_B5

In order to see if the 2-tone red & white interior could be confirmed as factory original, I sent a message to the seller on eBay inquiring about the buildsheet.
Unfortunately, they do not have one. Here is the response received back from the seller.

"No but the Chrysler Registry letter and the fender tag are clearly pictured in this auction no broadcast sheet."