Main Menu

70 Challenger RT Convertible. eBay.

Started by MKA, December 29, 2021, 07:27:23 PM

Previous topic Next topic

70vert

assuming it checks out that seems like a good starting price. no bids yet so someone might get a bargain.

Question though: I think it said white top, could you actually get a white top with black interior?

MKA

Quote from: 70vert on December 29, 2021, 09:46:09 PM

Question though: I think it said white top, could you actually get a white top with black interior?

He says in the description the interior used to be white and the former owner changed it to black. 

Crocha617

I think $50k is really high for that car in that condition. I would be surprised if there's any real bids at that starting price. I'm thinking more like upper $30's to $40k.

JH27N0B

Barry says the FT is fake and noted the VIN is attached with hardware store rivets.

anlauto

Quote from: JH27N0B on December 30, 2021, 06:58:39 AM
Barry says the FT is fake and noted the VIN is attached with hardware store rivets.

Somebody went through a lot of trouble to make a rather mundane "fake" tag.....  :dunno:  why not add a shaker and a four speed  :D
or at least get the tag correct before making it all rusty looking  :looney:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

anlauto

On boxing day just past, a friend of mine bought a complete 383 auto R/T convertible optioned pretty much like this one....Although my friends isn't as assembled as this, I bet they both need the same amount of work...once you take them completely apart to do a full ground up restoration, it really doesn't matter what they look like in the beginning....

Oh....and he paid less then $20K CDN ...
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

MKA

That's a little harsh.   Is there a reason that the tag is "fake" ?  Would be curious for others to chime in, I always look and can never see what you see.

I have no stake, but the seller has a lot of history.   History that includes clearly old photos (review the ad).  I don't see anything on the fender tag that exciting except it's an RT, and it has one of the axle packages 3.55 gears.   All the vins match.  He even decoded his "fake" fender tag incorrectly and swapped g55 for c55.  Nothing is for certain but that's a lot on one side of the ledger vs ?

Full disclosure I had a mini run in with Barry on Facebook.   Decided to post my fender tag and vin on one of the sites that asks for these things. In the name of the hobby.  Either due to my poor short cut English or his misunderstanding  Barry JUMPED on my post and insinuated there was a problem and I needed to post more documentation.   Which I did plus I could see the misunderstanding and clarified my description.  After a quick initial back and forth he went away without a word.   Literally silence.  I understand he has done much for the hobby.   Much being an understatement, but I also see him jumping on others and quick to conclusions.  I don't think himself and Galen will be sharing any holiday toasts.  My observations.   My opinions.   I hope maintain my humility as I age.  Regardless of my brilliance or more likely lack there of.   

I do appreciate much the patience and support that is provided on this site.  It is a model. 

MKA

Quote from: anlauto on December 30, 2021, 07:28:07 AM
On boxing day just past, a friend of mine bought a complete 383 auto R/T convertible optioned pretty much like this one....Although my friends isn't as assembled as this, I bet they both need the same amount of work...once you take them completely apart to do a full ground up restoration, it really doesn't matter what they look like in the beginning....

Oh....and he paid less then $20K CDN ...

Had the same thought.   Nice car but wow to do it complete it all has to come apart.   A lot of labor.   Seller says he has consulted with restoration shops.   I'm sure he knows that, hence here it is in its old survivor glory. 

Btw he does say the dash was replaced.  Which seeing how he is doing his work on a one off basis might explain the wrong vin rivets.   

anlauto

Don't get me started on Barry W. :-X

...but I think he's on to something with this tag UNLESS it's a factory screw up....The "upper body colour" , where it says "FE5" should be the code "V3W" for the white convertible roof...and "R21" is weird ........but mistakes at the factory did happen  :dunno:

JH27N0B

Quote from: MKA on December 30, 2021, 08:06:56 AM

That's a little harsh.   Is there a reason that the tag is "fake" ?  Would be curious for others to chime in, I always look and can never see what you see.

I have no stake, but the seller has a lot of history.   History that includes clearly old photos (review the ad).  I don't see anything on the fender tag that exciting except it's an RT.

Harsh?  I was just repeating what a tag guru said in a discussion of the car on another site.
If there's a more politically correct term I can use so that I don't offend anyone let me know, "tag challenged" or "transtagered" perhaps?  :D
The gurus can spot things on made up tags I never can see and they never will divulge saying that if they let known the secrets it would help the fakers make more hard to detect transtagered cars.
I think minuet differences in font and alignment of codes comes into play.
Other times tags have more obvious issues even a dummy like me can spot...
Like this one for example, the "challenged tag" has 2 FE5s on top of each other.  The top FE5 code would have been V3W for a convertible with a white top. Whoopsie!
You are in Tampa, the car is in Tampa and you seem to have taken particular interest.  Do you know the owner?
If so I'd be interested in knowing about the dash pad. I bought a mint used dash pad in around 81 from a guy in TX (who owned the now well known red N94 hemi Challenger) who was selling it because he said he'd managed to find the last NOS one in the country he was going to use instead, at a dealer in Puerto Rico.  So that made me wonder seeing the bit in the listing about being able to find them at dealers in '84. Maybe easier to find at larger swap meets then but I don't think you'd find any through your local Dodge dealer.

HP_Cuda

There is an old saying that you can "insert here" which applies...

If you want to be a Millionaire in "XYZ" then you start with a Billion dollars.

The amount of money you need to pour into this one makes you so obscenely upside down that it's nuts. Not withstanding the tag challenges... :bricks:
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

MKA

You are in Tampa, the car is in Tampa and you seem to have taken particular interest.  Do you know the owner?

[/quote]

:vipermanhiding:    Damn you got me.  I am in Tampa....  I was hoping to get out for the holidays but along came COVID.   Another story I'm not going to get into. 

I don't know the owner in the slightest.  Could give 2 bits about his sale, just passing along the info as I saw it.   My opinions can be wrong, and yes I am the amateur I appear to be.  I have never said otherwise.  Maybe it's semantics.  But if it's a reprinted tag with errors  :notsure:   Versus hey fake!   Not my car not my problem.   Understand it's all red flags regardless so point them out and moving on.   :vipermanhiding:

Good call on the FE5 btw.  I did see that after looking twice (again the amateur).

JH27N0B

Actually I started out my rather boring day on winter break here in gray gloomy Chicago, in Tampa sort of.
I saw a new Rudy's world video showed up on YouTube and watched part of it, visiting some mega wealthy car collectors estate in Tampa.
I wish I was there today!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLBeh-wWaDQ&t=2168s
Everyone seems to have their own definition of what constitutes a "fake tag".  I didn't want to install the rusty original tag back on my Challenger when I restored it, but all codes were decipherable on it, therefore I'd consider the tag I had made for it a reproduction.
A hard liner like Barry might still deem it fake.
Unless the original tag is available to replicate, or a photo or rubbing exists of an original tag that got lost, I'd call it fake.
But if someone has a tag made that says "this is a clone" or something similar, that isn't fake.  I guess you could call it "a fender tag" versus "the fender tag". :stop:

Skdmark

Besides missing the white top code, it's missing the N85 for the tach which comes with the A62 code.
See the other fender tag posted for reference.

Can't say if it's fake or factory errors.
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane: