Main Menu

'71 Challenger Project - WIW?

Started by 70_440-6Cuda, January 25, 2023, 02:47:05 PM

Previous topic Next topic

70_440-6Cuda

Found this one by "accident" and am curious what you all think of the price?  I have a running 440-6 I could drop in and be off to the races with a decent driver.....wondering what it would be worth if complete with my '69 440-6 in it?

I have not followed the Challengers as much as the Barracudas, but am beginning to want one and always like a project without metal work required.  Price seems a bit high to me for a slant 6 car but :notsure:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/255908717965?hash=item3b9559258d:g:nOwAAOSwgsdjs2Z1&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAoH74sV8ID9jiPLeh6u8e2yWJ0abqYbyzVq2CEMD1LsRccm9mJyBhvzc6AT7O1Sfm%2Bb73GrOaJbGY%2FnAMbNZtpOMatGfw5nJX6GScKNOYAJ2XdD0ysnYtz2KRk%2FXORAr0%2BpqEl7UI8L3VdGC%2FIcOjhxGOPFXeeIXaJqP7U5p69XN5hPFQzUSiFVcUcnH0%2FqTv3dNK13deZqri1EHmyvYtuy8%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR-KlkrG9YQ
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy horsepower and that's kind of the same thing.....

anlauto

I think that's likely worth close to the asking price, the trunk floor tells the story of how it was restored, but otherwise the outside is a 10  :bigthumb:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

71GranCoupe

One thing to check into before getting too excited is, being a 6-cylinder car will most likely have the smaller opening for the small radiators that they came with. If so, you would have to change out the panel form the passenger fender to the upper core support.

Even having to that, you would be hard pressed to find a car that appears that straight for the asking price.

70_440-6Cuda

Didnt think about the radiator issue - but my thought is being a 6 cylinder car, no one will care about any modifications down the road, and it is a solid start.  I also love the color (I had a '69 charger that was a similar green).

Just seems like an easy bolt together type of project - of course you never know but I have a spare engine needing a home....
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy horsepower and that's kind of the same thing.....

anlauto

Quote from: 70_440-6Cuda on January 25, 2023, 05:53:08 PM
Didnt think about the radiator issue - but my thought is being a 6 cylinder car, no one will care about any modifications down the road, and it is a solid start.  I also love the color (I had a '69 charger that was a similar green).

Just seems like an easy bolt together type of project - of course you never know but I have a spare engine needing a home....

That's how they all start  :haha: :haha:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

71GranCoupe

If you are really interested have him take some pictures of the engine bay and any other areas of concern. Too bad it is so far away, otherwise you could do an in-person inspection. Another thing is to possibly have another member from here do an inspection and take pictures. I have done that on a few cars.

70_440-6Cuda

Thats right Alan - you know the drill.... just bolt a few parts together and my project will be done.... yeah right.

Houston isnt that far - trying to connect with the seller, if it's worth while I will take a trip out to look....

headejm

The 340 engine has some real value if it is a good engine. Either lower the price some and tell them you do not want the 340, or plan to sell the 340 to recoup some of the price.  Not sure what K-member he installed but you need to make sure it works with a 440 6 pack engine. Also, you might consider installing frame stiffening plates because of the (much) extra horsepower compared to a 6 cylinder. You also need to find out more about the rear-end.

It looks like a nice car. Maybe $5,000 too high. It's more interesting at low $30's.   :alan2cents:

torredcuda

Looking at the way the trunk pan was done I would worried what is underneath the shiny "10" paint job. I would ask for pics of interior floor pans, frame rails, other underneath areas and ask about outer body rust repair and panel replacement, plastic body filler. Almost $40k for car that still needs drivetrain, accessories, exhaust and I`m sure some other things?
Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/

RUNCHARGER

I agree: To be blunt the trunk floor is junk. It looks like the lower part of the quarters have been patched as well. There are most likely a few surprises hidden in this one. If it was $20k then maybe but at the asking price, it would be a no for me.
Sheldon

70_440-6Cuda

That's why I post here - lot's of things I did not think about in the excitement of another project.  My thought is to make a deal with the engine, see if I can't pick the car up for maybe $30K.

I guess my biggest question is assuming the car is in fair condition as it appears, not perfect but not a basket case, an average restoration, and the car was built with the 440-6 pack I have and complete, what do you all think it is worth when complete?  As always, I know it is subjective, just wondering the what the consensus is from the group.

Care would be as seen with a '69 440 and original '69 6 pack carbs, MSD AL-6 ignition and distributor, headers, new exhaust, new radiator to support the big block and a 727 auto, and probably a Wilwood disc brake conversion which I already have.  I figure I would be in around $40-45K complete considering what the engine owes me and having everything but radiator and exhaust, plus whatever ancillary items I may need.

I just don't know the Challenger values as I have not really followed or looked for them until now.  As a reference, here is a similar Tribute car, although maybe much nicer...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/275611650586?hash=item402bbc0a1a:g:1goAAOSwBlljvhcm&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAoH1%2FynnIZIBECD5ZPbyXWUHlT1E9EH4x5irOB3KkFuZrc6auuIW6hf3MtGJBl1WYxjcQBkvkBwn2lOY0SFGCE2P8EzIX0eDebVjvWUpmohLubx%2F4CqPND5%2Bcm5yjWZ8CNLMtBaPajW2fLIYW%2Bf8VC93PuMkt1cavC27kLi1P2LIopJbr161ICOdQkzwnPi6qIhhdAFhTcTEXJjk7hMP2q8E%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR7zykO69YQ

anlauto

I think all finished with the 440+6, maybe some black R/T stripes, it might be worth $40K-$45K  ;)

70_440-6Cuda

Thanks Alan, I was figuring it would be $50k max, but should put me in a net $0 position I should hope...... as you well know the best laid plans....