Main Menu

A Sad Cuda Story

Started by 61K T/A, February 21, 2017, 04:42:26 AM

Previous topic Next topic

anlauto

Man...if I only had a dollar for every time I hear stories like this. It's very sad that it happens so many times. :steamingmad: It gives restoration shops a bad name, and we're not all the same.

However try being on the "other side of the fence".....I have a customer who hasn't paid me for 90 days now......try running a small business when one person owes you over $23K... :pullinghair:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

MoparDave

exact reason why everyone is nervous and jerky about having a car done at any level. But some still don't get time + materials vs an exaggerated estimate that can run on and on. Shops don't have an open check book but they seam to think they can or do since they have your car.  Sad for sure.
Please Email me at david.radcliffe@golling.com or through the the website. https://www.rosevillemoparts.com/contact-us/

Cuda Cody

What are the odds he gets the $27,500 asking price?  Maybe if he didn't just ruin the paint, but I don't see him getting that with how much is still left to do.   :notsure:    Sucks to see this happen to anyone, but $50K does not build you a $100K resto mod car these days.

I think he's way off on his "$5k to finish it" estimate to make a $100K car out of it.  :alan2cents:

RUNCHARGER

Yes: There are three sides to every story. Thirty years ago I didn't understand how body and paint could cost so much, then I did the bodywork and painted my first car. On the other hand I've seen a ton of flakes in the industry as well.
Sheldon

61K T/A

It's too bad that some of use don't have either the time or ability to do the work and have to rely on others in whole or part. But the drive to create a car is there and turn it into some thing special.
It's becoming more difficult to find companies who can do the work. Just think for a minute. How many posts have you seen in the past asking some thing like this, looking for a honest shop to build my engine, repair my engine, paint my car, or who should I buy my parts from.

Timbbuc2

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on February 21, 2017, 07:58:33 AM
Yes: There are three sides to every story. Thirty years ago I didn't understand how body and paint could cost so much, then I did the bodywork and painted my first car. On the other hand I've seen a ton of flakes in the industry as well.
The problem in my area, shops are only doing insurance jobs, not a complete paint job.
Get in, I'll drive

Burdar

Look at that big wrinkle in the paint next to where he went through.  Paint that is adhering properly shouldn't do that I don't think.  Then he says there is a line you can see in the sun at the roof to quarter seam.  Sorry to say but that the car needs to come back down to bare metal.  :alan2cents:

anlauto

:iagree: Paint doesn't look like a "burn thru" from buffing.....it looks like the paint is blistering off.... :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

rhamson

The burn through looks like either lead or an aluminum sub filler was used. If lead was used the brown area below the crack is not tinned but looks rusty. If that is the case the lead would never bond to the sheet metal and would slide off of the poorly prepped surface.   :alan2cents:

fc7cuda

Tough story and I feel for the guy.  :crying:

Although it may be tough to find a shop to "do it all", finding shops that specialize in components is easier.  Ask around and do your due diligence.  A contract couldn't hurt either side.  :alan2cents:

anlauto

I lose more customers with honesty up front then I ever have with BS at the end.... :foul:

Most of my customers want to send another car to me if they could only afford it.... :haha:

I had one excellent customer contact me last week wanting to send me project number five :worship:

Moparman82

Pismo beach (where he had it painted) is my home town, there isn't a single place in town I would pay to do my classic, bunch of bondo jockies, all over town, I literally can't tell you how many people I know with "restored" classics in that area that turned into garbage
Looking for the right 70 Cuda project!

Desmond

"I watched Barrett-Jackson..." says every other classic car ad posted in February and March.

But I feel for the guy, been there, got the T-shirt. It's not a fun place.

Chryco Psycho

Story is far too common unfortunatly