Main Menu

Dan Gurney experimental part for sale

Started by cuda hunter, November 27, 2019, 10:56:54 PM

Previous topic Next topic

cuda hunter

not mine.

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/pts/d/el-verano-chrysler-aar-trans-am-cuda/7019329061.html

contact name:
Randy

call:
(707) 974-8061

reply by email:
30f8403f1ac83ec4b16e091303bb1ec1@sale.craigslist.org

Chrysler AAR Trans-AM Cuda Rear End – Used in Dan Gurney's AAR Trans-AM Cuda!

Experimental race part

All American Racers.

This is a piece of American Automotive Racing history! This part was used in Dan Gurney's AAR Trans-AM Cuda.

There was only 1 of 4 ever made. This is the only one known to exist!

4.30 Race Show

History of Daniel Gurney, taken from All American Racers website:

(April 13, 1931 – January 14, 2018) was an American racing driver, race car constructor, and team owner who reached racing's highest levels starting in 1958.Gurney won races in the Formula One, Indy Car, NASCAR, Can-Am, and Trans-Am Series. Gurney is the first of three drivers to have won races in Sports Cars (1958), Formula One (1962), NASCAR (1963), and Indy cars (1967). (The other two were Mario Andretti and Juan Pablo Montoya).In 1967, after winning the 24 Hours of Le Mans together with A. J. Foyt, Gurney spontaneously sprayed champagne while celebrating on the podium, which thereafter became a custom at many motorsports events. As owner of All American Racers, he was the first to put a simple right-angle extension on the upper trailing edge of the rear wing. This device, called a Gurney flap, increases downforce and, if well designed, imposes only a relatively small increase in aerodynamic drag. At the 1968 German Grand Prix, he became the first driver ever to use a full face helmet in Grand Prix racing

History of All American Racers:

All American Racers is an American auto racing team and constructor based in Santa Ana, California.[1] Founded by Dan Gurney and Carroll Shelby in 1964, All American Racers initially participated in American sports car and Champ Car races as well as international Formula One events with cars named Eagle. The Formula One team, based in the United Kingdom and using British-built Weslake engines was named Anglo American Racers. Under team manager Bill Dunne they set up shop in Rye, East Sussex.[2] The team were adjacent to Harry Weslake's engine development plant and half a mile from Elva cars.[3] They participated in 25 Grands Prix, entering a total of 34 cars.

The first Eagles were created after AAR entered a Goodyear-backed Lotus 38 in the 1965 Indianapolis 500 and Gurney hired former Lotus designer Len Terry to develop their own car for 1966. The resulting Ford-powered Eagle T2G was codeveloped with the Eagle T1G for Formula 1. After exiting Formula One in 1968 and concentrating on Champ Car, Eagle turned to sports car racing in the 1980s, partnering with Toyota to develop the Celica and later sports prototypes for the IMSA GT Championship.

The company built the Ben Bowlby-designed DeltaWing that was run by Highcroft Racing at the 2012 24 Hours of Le Mans.

Bidding starts @ $2500

Available for local pickup in Sonoma, CA. Shipping via FedEx ground insured. Will need zip code to get exact shipping quote.
Please e-mail me with any questions.
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

1 Wild R/T

Only one known to exist....  Guess I better tell my buddy he has something that isn't known to exist.... He got it along with some other old race parts from Jack McCoy....

Katfish

What's special about it? It looks like it might be aluminum or magnesium?
Would you actually use it, or is it a $2500 "collectible"?

cuda hunter

If I were to be building a Gurney car I would want to just put it on the car to say it had been raced by Dan himself. 

Quote from: Katfish on November 28, 2019, 04:42:51 AM
What's special about it? It looks like it might be aluminum or magnesium?
Would you actually use it, or is it a $2500 "collectible"?
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

cuda hunter

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on November 28, 2019, 12:10:57 AM
Only one known to exist....  Guess I better tell my buddy he has something that isn't known to exist.... He got it along with some other old race parts from Jack McCoy....

Not surprising.  I would assume most experimental parts were not one off's. 

HP2

Unless there are stampings or engraving to prove its a Gurney part, it could be any NOS aluminum third member.

Given the issues the mopars had with drivelines failures in the'70 season, I'd be reluctant to use it in anything but a show pony.

Very expensive collectible. At $1000 the new aluminum third members aren't worth their weight reduction. No way this one would be worth it at all.