Main Menu

E-Body Heater Box on ebay

Started by Cuda Cody, January 29, 2017, 07:11:35 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Cuda Cody

@nsmall  here's an E-Body heater box.  Looks like it's had the normal crack area repaired.  Not a high end, OEM, all stamps and markings correct box, but for the money if it works and functions, it would be hard to beat.  Just throwing it out there in case you want some defrost.  They do pop up for sale from time to time at a good price.

[ebay]401267664642[/ebay]

nsmall

You are killing me here Cody.

Already priced out getting a firewall that was already set up for a heater cut out of a parts car and shipping and a big chunk of the firewall sent to me to have welded in would cost me $135

The other option would be to find a car....make a template and build it based off that.

It's been pretty easy for me to make decisions on this car but this stinking heater firewall situation is driving me crazy. That link you sent me to eBay is a perfect priced unit for what I'm trying to do.

The control panel I have is for a AC car but it looks like crap anyway so I'm assuming it can't be that much to replace that one for a non AC? And then I would have to get whatever cables or wires to turn on the  blower  and  get the Heat going but that should be too hard I'm assuming?

Thanks for thinking of me as this is very tempting.

I'll text you some screenshots I took of some parts I'm assuming I need to buy also if I go this route.

Neil

nsmall

Cuda Cody I'm confused on where we are even talking at this point.  It seems like we're in some sort of weird layer in between posting so other people can read it and being tagged but yet I'm in my inbox a little confused no reason to explain I just hope you're getting these messages.

I found a non AC control panel for a hundred forty-five bucks at Roseville, but it doesn't have the mechanism that goes inside which I don't know where you can find that or how much it costs. But I do think I should explore this because it's going to be to my advantage to have a working heater when I sell the car. Thank you

nsmall

I'll attach some pictures

nsmall

Besides the hoses from the engine to the heater box and obviously the parts pics I just sent need to be non AC and I also need the control panel to be non AC....What else am I missing?

Thanks

cataclysm80

I think it would be helpful if you could post a picture of the heater control panel that you already have.
Then we will know for sure what you have. 

nsmall

Here's my set the Cuda came with...

nsmall

nsmall

Just thought of another part...Mounting kit.

Sorry for all the drama.  For various reasons this final decision is a real pain for me.

Thanks

Neil

Cuda Cody

Sounds like this heater box is perfect for you if you are sectioning in a new heater box hole in the firewall.  Since the wiring for the heater box is built in to the factory harness, you should only need the 1 piece of defrost ducting, a few cables and the heater control.   Here's some of the items you can buy if you don't find them used.  Don't hurry to buy this stuff, you'll have lots of time to look for some good used pieces.  But if you need to buy this stuff, call Dave at Roseville and let him know you're a member here.  He gives great discounts.

http://www.rosevillemoparts.com/product_info.php/p/70-74-e-body-ralley-heater-control-panel/products_id/3919

http://www.rosevillemoparts.com/product_info.php/p/cable-heater-defrost-control-70-74-e-body-w-o-ac/products_id/6691

http://www.rosevillemoparts.com/product_info.php/p/cable-temp-control-70-74-e-body-w-o-ac/products_id/6696

Don't forget to check your heater box for this little "J" bolt when you go to install it.
http://www.rosevillemoparts.com/product_info.php/p/heater-box-j-bolt-70-74-e-body/products_id/9670

Cuda Cody

If you go with a heater (no AC) you don't need all that AC stuff.  You just need the Heater Box (like the one on the eBay auction), the heater control panel, the one defrost ducting and the cables.  That pretty much is all the major stuff.

Most of the time people transfer their switches to the new heater control panel.   Don't worry about trying to find all this stuff right now.  You have a ton of time before you'll need it.  Here's some examples of the things you'll be looking for and what they "really" sell for.  Lots of people on eBay ask a lot more, but don't hurry and you'll find a fair price on this stuff.

Ducting $35 plus shipping
[ebay]291954715605[/ebay]

Switch Controls (to transfer to your new control panel) $40 plus shipping
[ebay]182303938221[/ebay]

That's the major items you need.  But once you decide that you're going to put a heater in, the rest will be easy.  Get your body guy to weld in the heater box section of the firewall and you'll have plenty of time to get the parts.  I'll be down there for Fall fling if you want to meet me at the Swap Meet?   We can walk around together and I'll help you find what you need. 

cataclysm80

Quote from: nsmall on January 29, 2017, 08:07:15 PM
Already priced out getting a firewall that was already set up for a heater cut out of a parts car and shipping and a big chunk of the firewall sent to me to have welded in would cost me $135

I think this will be your cheapest and easiest solution.
Fix your firewall back to factory non-AC, and buy the non-AC box Cody found on eBay.
There will be a few more parts needed, but you can get them later.

In the future, if you wanted to switch to an aftermarket AC setup, they make them to fit factory non-AC cars, so you can upgrade at any time.

If you try to build the factory AC setup, you'll need a compressor, condenser, drier, expansion valve, AC lines, water temp valve (and find a bracket because they don't come with the right one), temp cable through the firewall, etc. 

nsmall

So does $135 sound fair...including shipping for a nice size chunk of a OEM 1970 challenger non AC firewall? (I'm assuming it will fit a 1973 Cuda?)

Does welding this in make more sense vs trying to make this piece?  I CANT do no metal work and I dont want this to look like crap.

I would also have to pay to have this welded in, any guess on the cost?

Looks like the used or new parts I need to complete this wont be super expensive.

Besides the J bolt, what other mounting hardware do I need?

I do have a ralley dash, but the panel part from roseville listed by Cody is missing switch and levers.  Correct?  How much are those going to cost me?

Not sure if this guy wants more than $250, assuming he does as shipping will be expensive, HOWEVER I only love 90 minutes from him.  I reached out to him.

So my costs are going to be 135 firewall piece+250 box+ new150control panel (I could look for a used one with the levers)+80 cables +20 J hook + heater switch? + levers? + defrost ducting= $635 and that doesnt include welding in the firewall....ugh this is getting expensive

What type of wire harness do I need to engage the blower? 

Thanks for your help and input.

Cuda Cody

Quote from: nsmall on January 29, 2017, 10:18:59 PM
So does $135 sound fair...including shipping for a nice size chunk of a OEM 1970 challenger non AC firewall? (I'm assuming it will fit a 1973 Cuda?)  Sounds fair, get a photo of the metal to make sure it's in good condition.  Brand new full cowls are around $300 for comparisons, but the shipping is always the issue.  [ebay]351850186264[/ebay]

Does welding this in make more sense vs trying to make this piece?  I CANT do no metal work and I dont want this to look like crap.  Might be best to talk to whoever you're going to have do it and ask them.  I know I might prefer to do it one way, but someone else might prefer to do it another way.  Both ways will work if done right.

I would also have to pay to have this welded in, any guess on the cost?  No clue on this.  Maybe about 4 hours?  But that's just a guess.    :dunno:

Looks like the used or new parts I need to complete this wont be super expensive.

Besides the J bolt, what other mounting hardware do I need?  Wait to buy that until you see if the heater box still has it attached.  Also need 3 nuts to bolt it to the firewall.  [ebay]401259703299[/ebay]

I do have a ralley dash, but the panel part from roseville listed by Cody is missing switch and levers.  Correct?  How much are those going to cost me? You just need those switches out of a good used one.  You'll find that stuff at the swap meet most likely.  I've paid as little as $10 to $20 for used sets.  I can show you how to test them too.

Not sure if this guy wants more than $250, assuming he does as shipping will be expensive, HOWEVER I only love 90 minutes from him.  I reached out to him. He has it listed has $38.13 to ship, but he might want to leave it on eBay to see if he gets more bids.  Don't worry if you don't get that one, there will be others.

So my costs are going to be 135 firewall piece+250 box+ new150control panel (I could look for a used one with the levers)+80 cables +20 J hook + heater switch? + levers? + defrost ducting= $635 and that doesnt include welding in the firewall....ugh this is getting expensive Dave will work with you on the price of the Control Panel.  Wait on the J hook until you need it, you might find that at the swap meet for less.

What type of wire harness do I need to engage the blower?  A factory wiring harness will have all the wiring needed to hook it up.  If your car had a factory heater before it should still have the wires unless someone cut them.  Buying new wiring is a good idea.  The best factory replacement wiring is a company called M&H.  They are factory correct in color and super easy to install.  They only sell through a few retailers.  Year One is one of them.  If you're going to buy new wiring WAIT until Year One puts out a 30% off deal.  They do it all the time.

Thanks for your help and input.

Cuda Cody

And your old AC heater controls have good value.  Those are hard to find and I think you have a one year only (1970).  Look on ebay and see if you can recoup some money.