Main Menu

Lipstick on a PIG ! UPDATE

Started by anlauto, October 07, 2017, 07:30:32 AM

Previous topic Next topic

anlauto

I apologise if this belongs to someone here, I don't usually like to pick apart people's cars.
In this ad, thankfully the owner is very straight forward about the rust repair needed.....

But tell me...who in their right mind would have painted the body on this car, install a new vinyl top, new carpet, etc..... painted it Lipstick red of course..... :rofl:
  http://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-Plymouth-Barracuda-S-Model-/162694845201?hash=item25e15e5311:g:IbkAAOSw0sJZ0nvA&vxp=mtr
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

cuda hunter

Yeah that's ridiculous to put paint on a car that has that much rust issue going on. 
It must have just been a learning car.  Put some crap on here and learn how to do it before they put it on their hemi car. 

Ugly for sure!
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

RzeroB

Seller is just trying to give it more eye appeal. After all, what looks better - a dirty pig, or a clean pig - perhaps with some lipstick??
Cheers!
Tom

Tis' better to have owned classic Mopars and lost than to have never owned at all (apologies to Alfred Lord Tennyson)

RzeroB

This car brings up a good point. Keith Sims, and other sheet metal magicians, do simply amazing work putting some of these rusted out hulks back together. But for every piece of new sheet metal that they put into a car, there has to be some good metal to attach it to. What do they do if there isn't any good pieces to attach to?? Keep cutting back until they find some?? What do they do if they cut everything back and there's nothing left?? Without a device like the "gate" jig that the factory used to put the initial body together with, I imagine there has to be a point where guys even with the skills of Keith say "it's too far gone - I can't save it"
Cheers!
Tom

Tis' better to have owned classic Mopars and lost than to have never owned at all (apologies to Alfred Lord Tennyson)

anlauto

Keith and I haven't found that point yet...
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

RzeroB

Master sheet metal guys like Keith who can do that kind of work are nothing short of amazing!  :worship:
Cheers!
Tom

BFM_Cuda

I'm shocked someone has bid it up to $3000 already....

RUNCHARGER

Actually a no BS ad, Perhaps he bought the shell in good faith and it turned out not as described, who knows? So no VIN, no title and no good sheetmetal is the bottom line.
Sheldon

340challconvert

Owner claims a clear New Jersey title
Needs a ton of metal work.
Strange that he painted it.
Linwood is down the jersey shore- accounts for the degree of rust
Calls it a Barracuda but listed as a BS23N ?
3k for a BS car could make it worth it

Data Moderator A66 Challenger Registry

Owner of 1970 A66 Challenger convertible

Crocha617

The first time it went through ebay about a month ago there weren't any underside pictures or mention of major rust underneath that I can remember. I have a feeling someone bought it and found out what they got and bailed out on the last deal.

anlauto

Quote from: Crocha617 on October 07, 2017, 10:37:25 AM
The first time it went through ebay about a month ago there weren't any underside pictures or mention of major rust underneath that I can remember. I have a feeling someone bought it and found out what they got and bailed out on the last deal.

Yea it looks like it's on a transporter in some of the pictures, and the rust is all been painted black.

HP_Cuda

All I can say is that I have not seen this many 1970 Cuda projects pop up at the same time on Ebay EVER!

Something is going on....
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

soundcontrol

Quote from: anlauto on October 07, 2017, 08:44:11 AM
Keith and I haven't found that point yet...

Thats far beyond "the point" for me!   :D
Building from scratch!

BFM_Cuda

Quote from: HP_Cuda on October 07, 2017, 11:31:52 AM

All I can say is that I have not seen this many 1970 Cuda projects pop up at the same time on Ebay EVER!

Something is going on....

I thought the same thing...    :ebay:

RUNCHARGER

Asking prices are high now. I think the high priced cars are not selling but people that own projects and know they will never get them started see the high prices and are putting up their projects hoping to cash in. I'm waiting to buy a Challenger but I have lots of time and I'm going to wait for the inevitable drop (I've seen it many times since 89).
Sheldon