Main Menu

Need feedback - '73 Barracuda on eBay

Started by ViperMan, July 03, 2019, 06:53:41 AM

Previous topic Next topic

ViperMan

Howdy, folks!  I've been shopping for 'Cudas for, oh, about 10 years now...  :)

This one popped up today - it checks off two of my biggest boxes; it's blue, and it has a 440...

I'm not crazy about a manual - just my personal preference.  I also don't like the AAR hood, but that's not too hard to fix.  Interior just looks dingy, and I don't like those front seat covers (I don't think they're original?)  Bumpers look tucked in but obviously just removed the bumperettes and called it a day.  No pictures of the underside, unfortunately.  It's allegedly in Florida so that could be an issue...  GA tags on it though...

Anyways, I know there's some eagle-eyed folks here, so maybe someone else can point out any issues, such as that weird gap in the trunk lid I can see on the passenger side...

I'm not worried about non-original components - IMO that keeps the price down.  I'm just worried about "issues" that I'll have to fix, and what that could cost later on.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/392326452399?ul_noapp=true&autorefresh=true

Let me know what you see!

Brads70

Looks like a plastic dash cap? Interior needs work. Some pictures underneath would be helpful.
I guess it depends on what it goes for ? That shifter set up make me thing 3 speed instead of 4 speed?  It is closer for you to go look at than the one up here?

From the pictures this one looks nicer? But that being said pictures don't always tell the whole story?
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/kawartha-lakes/1974-plymouth-cuda-new-price/1443234724?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Brads70

Broken rear defog switch, minor detail...

JS29

No reverse warning light makes me think 3-speed as well.  :alan2cents:

HP_Cuda

Let's see:

Dash cap
Broken rear defog switch - does it even have rear defog (kinda rare)
Seats need redoing
Shifter is for a 3 speed - would need to move that over to 4 speed might have to buy A833
Hood is jacked - either fix the alignment or pitch it (probably has height issues with the air cleaner)
No door top moldings
Chrome mirrors really?
No rear tail panel moldings
No wheel lip moldings
No rocker moldings
No rear bumperettes
Good grief the cut and polish is pretty poor (nice swirls)
Could use a new carpet
Interior needs help and updating (paint the instrument panels)
Painted the windshield wiper and heater motor - means the paint job was not top notch
Wow - the fuel line actually is rubber and runs across the top of the distributor (not a great idea)

Well that's it for now.

1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

nsmall

I can't imagine buying this one without either hiring someone to inspect it or going to see it myself.  Good luck, hard to comment  on those pics.  What concerns me is saying things like " amazing paint" when I'm not so sure that's what I see 

moparcar

I always look at the reflections in the paint. Major "wave/wow" right above the rear wheel. Could be from something else, but certainly distorted.

challengermaniac

ViperMan,

Hum, have always enjoyed your posts, although this one causes some concerns as noted along with wheres the real pride with owning this low end Baracuda, "Cuda" want to be?  And the non original paint color is a deal breaker to begin with........

It's your money!
1970 Challenger Convertible EB5

ViperMan

Thanks for all the feedback!!  I knew you guys would catch stuff I'd miss. Paint color is a something to I'm picky about but "originality" isn't. If it were up to me I'd have a 'Cuda in Viper GTS blue with a 440, non-numbers matching engine. :). But QUALITY of paint and body in general are big areas of concern.

RUNCHARGER

It has some strange waves in it I think.
Sheldon

ViperMan

:ebay:

So this car is still sitting just under $20K with just over an hour left to the auction...  I kinda struggle to think that this isn't a phenomenal price for a mostly-solid car...  Yeah it needs some love, but 20K for a complete car with a 440-6 in it just seems like a heckuva deal, doesn't it?!?

Rich G.

Well it sold for 19900.90 . Someone is going to happy or in big trouble if they didn't have someone look at it to make sure it doesn't have any hidden issues. Good luck to the new owner, hope it's nice.

ViperMan

Quote from: Rich G. on July 09, 2019, 09:51:05 AM
Well it sold for 19900.90 . Someone is going to happy or in big trouble if they didn't have someone look at it to make sure it doesn't have any hidden issues. Good luck to the new owner, hope it's nice.

From what I've seen lately, getting a car this complete - even if it has some issues underneath - is still a deal at under $20K.  This car at Carlisle would be listed at $45K (hell - maybe it will be...)  Even I thought about buying it for a quick flip...

ragtopdodge

No trunk pics (could be rotten); no real pics of underneath (could be rotten).

No VIN tag pics, fender tag?

Paint looks backyard type.

Find something local so you can look at it yourself.

Katfish

Unless it's a total rust bucket, I think someone got a decent deal.