Main Menu

shocking

Started by Challenger in NC, August 24, 2022, 01:03:27 PM

Previous topic Next topic

anlauto

Pretty impressive....are they worth $6500/6 who knows....I'm sure he'll sell them....although he looks to maybe be a new member to that site, seem like an odd place to advertise....Are they advertised on Moparts.com ? or eBay ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Challenger in NC

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

JH27N0B

I got a set of used shocks off ebay described as "taken off an AAR cuda" with poor pictures for something like $20 some years back, the rear shocks were 854s.
Cleaned up and look nice on my T/A.  But leak a bit.  I think I'll need a bigger piggy bank before I'll ever be able to afford to replace them though!

70vert

I pity all the numbers matching show cars, glad I'm not one!

Prices are crazy  :rubeyes:

Filthy Filbert

I simply do not understand the appeal of "all original"     Might as well just take a picture and hang it on the wall, because you're definitely not going to be driving a car with all original parts anywhere.   The shocks probably have lost all pressure, the seals have likely dried out and shrunk, it's not going to dampen anything...

and where does one draw the line?   Belts? Hoses? Spark plugs? Oil?

"OOH!!!!! I found gas that's been in a can in someone's barn since 1971!!! I'm going to put it in my car because it's "original"

JH27N0B

Blah blah blah.
I don't understand the appeal of Donk, or low riders, or jacking a 4x4 truck up 3' and putting a big flag in the back either. But I don't judge, all car guys rides deserve respect even if they aren't my particular niche.
To each his own.  I own multiple cars and when I restored my T/A I decided to go all in and since I also had an E body I loved to drive (my convertible) why not retire the one I didn't like driving very much (manual steering, stiff clutch, sauna inside when hotter than about 70 degrees outside etc). I owned the car since 16 so it wasn't going to be sold, but short of resto modding it with AC, power steering, hydraulic clutch etc, I wasn't going to drive it much either.
Which would have been a crime on a numbers match documented car too.
Researching parts, finding parts and as an engineer, production aspects and how to duplicate was fascinating to me.
It ended up getting OE Gold at MCACN.
So I now have a trailer queen, 2 more Challengers that are more pleasureful to drive and now even a Magnum that's a pleasure to drive. So other than the fact I can only drive one car at a time, I'm in a good place.
Would I do an OE resto again? Never say never, but almost certainly no.  Am I sorry I did what I did on the T/A? Not at all, I would have used different shops than the ones I had trouble with, but the car is darn near perfect.
At this point I'd think that doing OE restos must be getting near impossible? How many NOS or good used OEM parts still exist now that haven't already been used on other restos?
I'm glad I did my parts hunting in the late 90s and early 2000s! Not much chance of finding used 854 shocks for $20 now or $60 NOS 9171 master cylinders and other gems I found back then.