Main Menu

Slant 6 intake and carb

Started by Shoooter, August 01, 2017, 09:01:00 PM

Previous topic Next topic

cuda hunter

you have a good memory.

It's been a little while.  I purchased one and sold the car already.  Thanks for the thought! 

"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

ec_co

Al has the 4bbl intake and holley 390 I'll be using in mine (some day ... ) :)   that one is priced a little high, should be @ $200 tops IMO
Growing older is mandatory...growing up is optional.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

'70 Barracuda B5/B5 225 /6 3spd ... about as bare bones as they came

Chryco Psycho

Wow the stuff I should have bought at the wreckers I guess , I bought my intake for $25 used an adapter plate & the Holley 500 CFM 2bbl , the set uo worked great !
Should have bought all the 2 bbl intakes assuming anyone actually wants them & will pay the price ?  I definatly should have bought all of the 308 swirl heads , I did buy all of the 833 OD transmissions I could find & a lot of mini starter s& electronic big block distributors I found   .

ec_co

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on August 02, 2017, 09:06:06 AM
Wow the stuff I should have bought at the wreckers I guess , I bought my intake for $25 used an adapter plate & the Holley 500 CFM 2bbl , the set uo worked great !
Should have bought all the 2 bbl intakes assuming anyone actually wants them & will pay the price ?  I definatly should have bought all of the 308 swirl heads , I did buy all of the 833 OD transmissions I could find & a lot of mini starter s& electronic big block distributors I found   .

the 1bbl doesn't bring much more than scrap prices, but the super six 2bbl intakes are semi sought after - much better power and same gas mileage. I'm going with an offy 4bbl intake and the 390 with a mild cam upgrade + Dutra dual exhaust. I also want to swap out the 3spd for an 833 OD but need to locate the right bellhousing that works (not many years where they did a /6 w/833 OD). I keep mulling over a 'what if' build and finding a period turbo to make a 'what if the factory made a /6 turbo setup' (slants take forced induction VERY VERY well) .... lol
Growing older is mandatory...growing up is optional.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

'70 Barracuda B5/B5 225 /6 3spd ... about as bare bones as they came

Chryco Psycho

There were thousands of the Miser D100 trucks built with the slant & A833 OD , I did the same build on a 65 valiant convert , truck bell 833 OD , ported & milled head , cam swap & larger valves ,header & Offy 4 bbl intake with the 390 cfm 4 bbl Holley , it worked awesome , the biggest hitch was tuning the carb as it never got any heat from the intake  & I had to permanently install wire into the air bleeds so it would idle at all , I also built a support for the intake down to the engine mount as I recall to support all the weight way out there !! Multiport EFI would be far better on that long ram intake !I helped another friend build a slant with a Tbird super charger & EFI , it worked incredibly well , it was in a 60 Dodge Phoenix

70/6chall

Ahhhh the SL6, something near and dear to mine and EC_CO's heart. Besides of course the E-body cars. The 2bbl carb and Super 6 mani, for sale, $300. first the factory SL6, 2bbl manifolds are getting extremely hard to find (I have one on the engine and a factory Alum. 2bbl) you will pay on E-bad maybe $200-250, cast iron. For the Carter 2bbl maybe $80-120 rebuildable. AussieSpeed makes a beautiful long runner 2bbl, Alum. for $449. Or go exotic, new triple Webber mani. w/ 3 Webber 45 DCOE carbs. for $2,000. For $1,000. and a budget build to gain 80HP over stock, that can actually be felt. You could mill a later '77, small plug head, .080, no more than .090 which would net 9.25:1 CR, over stock 8.5 CR because head has a thicker stronger deck surface than earlier ones, port and polish the bowls. Heads have a lot of metal for this. A windage tray in oil pan is a must for X-tra HP. A good cam Comp Cams X-treme energy cams has a faster ramp say for any large valve head. A small Street Demon carb enuff for 200 HP at the crank, or a good Carter 2bbl rebuilt. Good air flow with a large K&N filter, A set of tri-y headers. 904 Auto. tranny w/ stock converter w/ less than 300 CFM's would give better low end response and 200 HP will not bother the 904.     Thanks,   Al

Chryco Psycho

I milled the head on mine .100 & used the adustable rockers  swirl ported the head
I was averaging well over 20 MPH & where I could not pass at 70 MPH on the highway when it was stock & was able to hit 90 MPH after