Main Menu

Caution-Mecum hemi Challenger JS23R1B266605

Started by JH27N0B, December 18, 2022, 05:03:40 PM

Previous topic Next topic

MoparCarGuy

Quote from: 6bblgt on December 19, 2022, 08:22:16 AM
this is NOT an authentic window sticker
And the pictured reproduction fender tag does not match the reproduction window sticker.
Repro window sticker shows A33 - Track Pak and R11 - AM Radio.
Repro Fender tag shows A34 - Super Track Pak and R36 - AM/FM Radio.
What appears to be the original window sticker (center of picture) has A34 but has R35 versus R36. A lot of inconsistencies.

6bblgt

R36 is stereo AM/FM with cassette player &   :thinking:  isn't '71 AM/FM a thumbwheel?

MoparCarGuy

Quote from: 6bblgt on December 19, 2022, 08:25:23 PM
R36 is stereo AM/FM with cassette player &   :thinking:  isn't '71 AM/FM a thumbwheel?
All 1970-1971 E body AM/FM radios are thumbwheel and most 1971 AM/FM radios use use chrome buttons. Source: Ward's Classic Car Radio Repair (pdf attached)
Some will have black buttons. This car has a 1972-1974 R35 - AM/FM radio installed with black buttons.
EDIT: Corrected for buttons. Need info on when the 1971 may have changed to knobs for AM/FM radios in an E-body.

blown motor

All 70/71 am/fm radios are not thumbwheel.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

mccannix

All thumbwheel 70-71 AM/FM E-body radios have chrome buttons, both Motorola and Phillips
I have never seen or heard of a thumbwheel E body AM/FM with black buttons.
The later roll knob AM/FM E-bodies had black buttons.
Some roll knob AM/FM's have reportedly shown up in late built 71 E-bodies

MoparCarGuy

Quote from: blown motor on December 20, 2022, 05:57:51 AM
All 70/71 am/fm radios are not thumbwheel.
The source for only thumbwheel AM/FM in 70-71 was Ward's Classic Car Radio's E-Body Radio ID page (pdf attached). Maybe Ward's is wrong?
Do you have info on when the thumbwheel went away during the 1971 model year?

MoparCarGuy

Quote from: mccannix on December 20, 2022, 06:21:06 AM
All thumbwheel 70-71 AM/FM E-body radios have chrome buttons, both Motorola and Phillips
The later roll knob AM/FM E-bodies had black buttons.
I corrected the earlier post for chrome buttons only in 1970 & 1971 for thumbwheel AM/FM radios.
Do you think the 1971 knob AM/FM radios came with chrome buttons like this picture?

mccannix

Quote from: MoparCarGuy on December 20, 2022, 02:21:52 PM
Quote from: mccannix on December 20, 2022, 06:21:06 AM
The later roll knob AM/FM E-bodies had black buttons
I corrected the earlier post for chrome buttons only in 1970 & 1971 for thumbwheel AM/FM radios.
Do you think the 1971 knob AM/FM radios came with chrome buttons like this picture?
The roll knob units that I have seen and am familiar with all had black buttons, BUT I have not seen them all,
so some may have had chrome buttons like yours pictured, or an owner who liked bling possibly changed them.
Parts book only lists one part number for an E-body AM/FM roll knob adio
I cannot help with a time frame on when rollwheel replaced thumbwheel

blown motor

I bought a reproduction roll knob radio from Antique Automobile Radio. They listed a 70-71 radio which had chrome buttons and a 72-74 radio that had black buttons. I have to assume, since these people are selling repos for a multitude of vehicles, that they have a detail like that correct. My guess, and it's only a guess, is that the roll knob radio was standard and the thumb wheel was an option. Maybe someone familiar with VIN tag codes could confirm or deny that point.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

MoparCarGuy

Quote from: blown motor on December 21, 2022, 05:54:58 AM
I bought a reproduction roll knob radio from Antique Automobile Radio. They listed a 70-71 radio which had chrome buttons and a 72-74 radio that had black buttons. I have to assume, since these people are selling repos for a multitude of vehicles, that they have a detail like that correct. My guess, and it's only a guess, is that the roll knob radio was standard and the thumb wheel was an option. Maybe someone familiar with VIN tag codes could confirm or deny that point.
I am absolutely sure that the repro roll knob radios are not correct for 1970 AM/FM in an E-Body.

MoparCarGuy

Quote from: blown motor on December 21, 2022, 05:54:58 AM
Maybe someone familiar with VIN tag codes could confirm or deny that point.
This thread has all of the option codes including the radio and speaker options. Very detailed but does not differentiate between thumbwheel and roll knobs or chrome versus black buttons.
https://forum.e-bodies.org/reference-material/18/radio-options-r11-r22-r26-r31-r32-r33-r35-r36/348/msg8113#msg8113

And this thread covers E-Body radio identification from Ward's Classic Car Radio Repair.
https://forum.e-bodies.org/reference-material/18/how-to-identify-e-body-radios/527/;topicseen