Main Menu

1970 Voltage Regulator melting

Started by FLAPlum, June 26, 2018, 09:09:52 AM

Previous topic Next topic

FLAPlum

Hello,
New forum member.
1970 Challenger RT 440 Convertible.
I am here to try and solve a problem with my date code VR.
The gel/epoxy on back side is running down the firewall and making a mess.
See picture.
This also happened with the previous VR, but the first one had worked fine with no problems, for a few years before melting.
the new one(photo) melted right away, once installed..

Anybody give me an idea of what may be going on.
I have a volt/ohm meter but may need some specific ideas.

Thanks for any help.
Mike

dodj

What is the voltage reading at the battery posts when the engine is running?
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

1 Wild R/T

Seen it before on quite a few of the OE style units... It's not an electrical issue put your meter away... It may create an electrical issue but it's not caused by an electrical issue.....  It's low grade potting compound....  It doesn't survive heat and vertical mounting....   

Either replace it or get the old potting compound out & replace it with better stuff.....  Youtube covers removing potting compound & there are plenty of epoxies & Urethane based potting compounds that will work...

FLAPlum

I will check the voltage , and get back.
Mike

FLAPlum

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on June 26, 2018, 09:22:04 AM
Seen it before on quite a few of the OE style units... It's not an electrical issue put your meter away... It may create an electrical issue but it's not caused by an electrical issue.....  It's low grade potting compound....  It doesn't survive heat and vertical mounting....

Thanks for the input.
So, what options do I have to maintain correct VR, not sure there are many of these units left.
I figured this being a new one, would  have been fine.
Thanks,
Mike

1 Wild R/T

I updated my post above but I'll post it again...

Either replace it or get the old potting compound out & replace it with better stuff.....  Youtube covers removing potting compound & there are plenty of epoxies & Urethane based potting compounds that will work...

As far as it's new & I thought it would be fine.... It's Mopar, they got your money & you got what you got....  Typical stuff....

FLAPlum

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on June 26, 2018, 09:42:51 AM
I updated my post above but I'll post it again...

As far as it's new & I thought it would be fine.... It's Mopar, they got your money & you got what you got....  Typical stuff....

I will look into re-potting the one I have.
Or look into replacing.  Not sure what my purchase options are, especially, that I am trying to keep the original look.
This one probably isn't even original, although it does have the bump on it.
Mike

Cuda Cody

Katfish

Same thing happened to me.
I cleaned up the original drips, and it hasn't reappeared.

Chryco Psycho

Welcome to the site Mike , from Panama
good luck with the fix , new stuff is nothing like when they were new & churning out 100s of these / day