Main Menu

1971 Challenger Non-Rallye Cluster Electrical Issue

Started by ahoff2001, January 02, 2021, 06:04:15 PM

Previous topic Next topic

ahoff2001

My fuel gauge was not working at all. I replaced my fuel gauge and voltage limiter. I have two conditions now:
1) If I keep the cluster unbolted, the gauge works and both green turn signal indicators are constantly lit.
2) If I bolt the cluster in or ground it against the steering column, the green lights are not lit and the gauge does not work.

This is strange to me, as it seems like grounding it causes an issue. It seems like there is a short somewhere, but i'm not sure where to look. Anyone have any ideas?

Chryco Psycho

Is the regulator connected properly ?
Test for 5 v power out of the regulator going to the gauge & out to the sender , make sure you have 5v at the sender also , you may have a break between the gauge & the sender .
the green lights are on because it is going through them to ground & creating resistance , as soon as you gruond the gauges the lights go off because it has an alternate ground .

ahoff2001

Thank you for your reply and that makes sense. I found the right gauge mounting stud(positive) was in contact with the cluster. I centered the gauge stud and the problem seems to be corrected now. I attached a marked up picture with the red square representing the cluster cutout to show the contact area. Sorry, I just realized the gauge is rotated 180 degrees in the picture. Definitely right side was contacting as installed.

Chryco Psycho