Main Menu

1972 Barracuda Turn Signal Switch

Started by Superhook, September 13, 2020, 06:13:38 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Superhook

Owned this 72 Barracuda for over 30+ years, back in the day before the internet and as a kid did some crazy wiring hacks, not thinking the car was going to stick around so long. When my directional stop working in the back, i ran a speaker wire from the front signals to the back and wired them to my disconnected reverse lights and placed red lens tape over the white portion? What the heck was i thinking?

Present day the car is beautiful, but this issue is still intact. Know its time to get this corrected. The issue back then, that i know now was a defective turn signal switch. Re-wired all back to proper factory wiring. I ordered a replacement turn signal switch. Upon cleaning up the wiring and plugging in the replacement switch, all kinds of issues began. After painful questioning of verifying the integrity of my wiring, i have come to the conclusion the Replacement switch is not correct, even though its ordered correct for my car.

When i plug in my orig. turn signal switch all is good, but the switch plastic is aged and fatigued and the right side turn of switch is defective. The OEM Part# is 3488478, i cannot locate a direct replacement that states it replaces this OEM number directly, some numbers come close. Anyone have any insight o this or similar issues.

anlauto

In today's world, to get and exact replacement you would have to look for a NOS Chrysler switch from back in the day. All the switches sold today are a general replacement that covers many different models. The one's I've been using are a Standard Motor Product TW7, but I just learned that the reproduction company OER just brought out a reproduction of the original switch which might be a better option.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Superhook

Thanks for the feedback, I'll look into those reproductions'.

Chryco Psycho

The other good option is Jim @ JS restorations can rebuild the original switch like new
I also use the TW7 from Rock Auto
Welcome to the site BTW  :wave:

Superhook

Thanks for the reply/welcome,  would the TW7 need any modifications or are there good results the way it is. The replacement switch i purchased that says it is correct for the car, but when plugged in creates a voltage drop and causes my rear directionals to flash (Only the rears?) when the OEM switch plugged in all seems to work good, other than the fatigued switching for my right side directional. 

anlauto

The TW7 has three extra wires on it in a separate harness, I usually snip them off at the switch, but you don't have to. Also the plastic around the horn post needs a little trimming to get the secure plate to sit flat. If you were using it in a 70 column, the hazard switch would need filing down as well :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Superhook

Thanks for the help, I order the TW7 turn signal switch and worked out great.