Main Menu

6x9 speakers in parcel shelf.....fitment

Started by FSHTAIL, April 28, 2021, 01:38:32 AM

Previous topic Next topic

FSHTAIL

So I got some 6x9's for the rear parcel shelf, looks like the factory speakers (which were long gone) were kind of tiny?

I might have to use some rivnuts in the mounting holes so zi can mount them on the bottom side or something. 

Anyone come across this with aftermarket 6x9"s?
1973 BS23H Cuda' 340/TKX 5 speed (70 AAR clone-ish)

njsteve

I just used some long screws and nuts/washers and hung the speakers from underneath so as not to have to make any modifications to the deck itself. Added bonus is that they don't interfere with the package tray sitting flat.

anlauto

I think they were designed to go in from the bottom ???? :thinking:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

FSHTAIL

Looks like that's the ticket!

Thanks!   
:cheers:
Quote from: njsteve on April 28, 2021, 03:40:51 AM
I just used some long screws and nuts/washers and hung the speakers from underneath so as not to have to make any modifications to the deck itself. Added bonus is that they don't interfere with the package tray sitting flat.

Montclaire

Does anyone still make the factory size speakers?  (added: at a reasonable cost?)

70 Top Banana

There are a bunch of them on eBay in a wide range of pricing. Here is a set that actually look close to what the 6x9s that would have been in the car.

anlauto

I would think 6 X 9's are still popular  :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

GoMangoBoys

What about cutting oval holes in the black fiberboard package tray cover and dropping the speakers thru them from the top so that the speaker grill is visible on top of the package tray?  I did the speakers in my 57 Chevy that way.  I was planning to do the speakers in the Challenger that way also.

Rdchallenger

Quote from: GoMangoBoys on April 29, 2021, 06:10:10 PM
What about cutting oval holes in the black fiberboard package tray cover and dropping the speakers thru them from the top so that the speaker grill is visible on top of the package tray?  I did the speakers in my 57 Chevy that way.  I was planning to do the speakers in the Challenger that way also.

Because this looks cleaner.

https://www.classicindustries.com/product/all-years/dodge/challenger/parts/me100313.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjwsqmEBhDiARIsANV8H3aHggdnfzCxYHPDeD5EEOiEQ9EQk-aDDYhFbzKuD7yXZj8hlZS_LnEaAkI8EALw_wcB

FSHTAIL

You get muffled sound through the stock pressboard.. 

I came up with an era correct aftermarket solution..
Day 2 muscle car stuff...

If you rock the stock parcel shelf, I wouldn't bother upgrading unless they were blown..
AM radio worthy quality through the stock slats.. 

I used coroplast and vinyl to make my own parcel shelf..
I've got $30 all in on the project..   

Quote from: Rdchallenger on April 29, 2021, 06:49:20 PM
Quote from: GoMangoBoys on April 29, 2021, 06:10:10 PM

Because this looks cleaner.

https://www.classicindustries.com/product/all-years/dodge/challenger/parts/me100313.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjwsqmEBhDiARIsANV8H3aHggdnfzCxYHPDeD5EEOiEQ9EQk-aDDYhFbzKuD7yXZj8hlZS_LnEaAkI8EALw_wcB

njsteve

That's not Day2! That's way too clean and straight. For proper Day2 appearance, it's gotta look like a drunken high schooler with a hack saw in his left hand cut the holes out. :-)

FSHTAIL

Day 2....if they took it to a shop     :drooling:  :ohyeah:

Quote from: njsteve on April 30, 2021, 03:32:47 AM
That's not Day2! That's way too clean and straight. For proper Day2 appearance, it's gotta look like a drunken high schooler with a hack saw in his left hand cut the holes out. :-)

FSHTAIL

Hey Steve, I finally had some time to do this up...

I'll have the interior all put back together by this weekend..    :)

Quote from: njsteve on April 28, 2021, 03:40:51 AM