Main Menu

70 challenger tail light problems

Started by wigger, September 22, 2018, 05:19:16 PM

Previous topic Next topic

wigger

70 challenger auto car,
tail lights, brake lights ,signals and marker lights not working, hazard lights and licence plate lights work,fuel gauge works, everything in front of car works. Have cleaned grounds checked bulbs, and visually checked harness to back of car. Not sure where else to look.
Brake light switch or turn signal switch?

Cuda Cody

Jim AAR

Sounds like a ground problem to me or possibly the headlight or dimmer switch.

Did you try to use a test light from one of the rear light or marker sockets to a known good ground with the light switch on?

anlauto

Check the connection of the tail light harness behind the kick panel  :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Chryco Psycho

Brake & turn go through the turn signal switch Park lights do not
I assume they were working ?
I would check grounds & the tailight hrness plug , start tracing wires back , you should find power at the harness plug behind the kick panel if not it is behind the dash , if you do have power it must be further back

wigger

ive checked fuses, harness connection at kick panel and harness front to back. Running lights not working in back, marker lights not working. I will check grounds again. There is power to the harness connection, licence plate light works. Also i replaced the headlight switch, dimmer switch works as lights dim in dash.

Cuda Cody

Grounds would be the place I would start double checking.

1 Wild R/T

wigger

JS29

The license plate light means you have power from the running light wire. I'm voting ground!!!  :alan2cents:   

wigger

i have everything working except brake lights,   there was a bad connection in tail light harness, where running light wire connected to multiple running light wires in trunk.
thanks for all the suggestions

Chryco Psycho

So you need to race out the brake circuit which is the same as the turn signal light  , you can start at either end , check for power @ the brake light switch then check the pink wire going up the column to the turn signal switch , from there the 2 wires out of the column feed the separate brake lights ,
If your turn signal are working it has to be in the brake circuit between the fuse block & through thee brake light switch going up to the turn signal switch